Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oldham home

DomRepWanderer

1 hour ago, Mr Grey said:

Listen to the interview again, he said some of them think they have made it just because they are here at Bolton Wanderers, by that he's referring to their attitude and their work rate isn't good enough for this club, he's bang on. 

I'm not absolving him from any blame, I'm glad its hit home and he's pissed off, our fans won't show the same patience like he got at Barrow and he's now under pressure.

Wonder who he means?  Of the outfield starters yesterday, assume its not Kioso or Delaney. Fonz, Doyle, Sarcevic can't be accused of having "made it" when they've chosen to drop to us instead of playing in League 1.  Crawford and Brockbank have been here ages, no novelty for them. That leaves Santos, Comley and Gordon, unless the billy big timers were left out (Tutte, Taft, Hickman, Greenidge?) - in which case they didnt contribute to that performance.  If I was any of those I'd want to know if he means me and I wouldn't be happy with the implied criticism, especially Santos who's been playing well.  

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Aye imagine that performance with 12k on got it easy atm 

That’s where the pressure comes from. Most folk expect to be in the ground before the end of the season. If we aren’t at least top half, patience will wear thin.

in the meantime, they have to run the gauntlet via S.M

• Site Supporter
37 minutes ago, marple whites said:

6 home games this season with no win - the natives would have been giving dogs abuse after that late goal yesterday.

the players have it really easy at the moment - no real pressure 

I wonder at times if having no crowd is why there is a lot of lazy passes & players switching off.... Maybe the pressure of an angry mob might concentrate a few minds. 

14 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

I wonder at times if having no crowd is why there is a lot of lazy passes & players switching off.... Maybe the pressure of an angry mob might concentrate a few minds. 

I think so, particularly the lack of urgency towards the end of the games.

Aye there would be a few 'Chris Taylor's' by now getting abuse theyve never had before and might not get over. Thinking of Comley & Gordon for starters but it would be tense by now. Evatt would be getting some next home match as well if it goes tits up again.

Rightly so as well IMHO 

1 hour ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Really good point, if you hit a shite pass and get dogs abuse, you don’t tend to do it again !!

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Wonder who he means?  Of the outfield starters yesterday, assume its not Kioso or Delaney. Fonz, Doyle, Sarcevic can't be accused of having "made it" when they've chosen to drop to us instead of playing in League 1.  Crawford and Brockbank have been here ages, no novelty for them. That leaves Santos, Comley and Gordon, unless the billy big timers were left out (Tutte, Taft, Hickman, Greenidge?) - in which case they didnt contribute to that performance.  If I was any of those I'd want to know if he means me and I wouldn't be happy with the implied criticism, especially Santos who's been playing well.  

Well he quickly found a replacement for Hickman after he hauled him off for some shit crosses

Couple that with his comments about filtering out the weak ones quickly, and i reckon he's one of them

He has previous for being Billy big bollocks too

The manager can point as many fingers as he wants but the set up and style of play is awful. 

The keeper plays the ball to one of back three, who tippy tap between themselves till pressed then either pass to keeper who hits it long. (We have the back 5 deep from tippy tapping plus the keeper so we have 6 players out of the game - we win fuck all ball) or it goes to full backs (Gordon kept trying to play balls to midfield players centrally but they immediately closed down so nothing comes of it - we give the ball away cheaply. Comely can not pass straight it seems. Sauce plays higher up and Crawford tries little flicks that normally lose the ball. 

We also win virtually no second ball or even compete for it. The goal is a prime example we have no one in edge of the box. The guys goes length of the pitch unchallenged. 

His subs are bizarre changing full backs seems to happen every game. Delfonso into the ‘number 10’ role. Why have Darcy on the bench but never use him ? No keeper on the bench is fucking stupid and will bite us at some point. 

He has found a system that has turned last years divisional top scorer into a nobody. 

I get he was angry Saturday but another performance like that playing the same way and he can fuck off. 

18 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I dont see anyone in the squad that's capable of winning the battles in midfield, physically.  Either too small/lightweight (Darcy, Crawford, Comley, Tutte, White) or just too slow and cumbersome (Sarcevic).  So in that respect nothing is lost to have Darcy in there, but you gain his "engine" and enthusiasm, a quick brain and more attack minded game than most of the others.  Even if he's not in the first 11 it still doesnt make sense to me how he hasnt been an option from the bench for even 5 minutes when 22 other outfield players have had a chance, some after walking into the club 2 days before a game.  And as you say - play him wide on the right occasionally if he cant be in the middle, it would immediately improve our crossing for me, as well as being a dead ball option.  If we were creating chances without him or looking solid in midfield fair enough but IE is getting it wrong for now.

18 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I dont see anyone in the squad that's capable of winning the battles in midfield, physically.  Either too small/lightweight (Darcy, Crawford, Comley, Tutte, White) or just too slow and cumbersome (Sarcevic).  So in that respect nothing is lost to have Darcy in there, but you gain his "engine" and enthusiasm, a quick brain and more attack minded game than most of the others.  Even if he's not in the first 11 it still doesnt make sense to me how he hasnt been an option from the bench for even 5 minutes when 22 other outfield players have had a chance, some after walking into the club 2 days before a game.  And as you say - play him wide on the right occasionally if he cant be in the middle, it would immediately improve our crossing for me, as well as being a dead ball option.  If we were creating chances without him or looking solid in midfield fair enough but IE is getting it wrong for now.

I think you’re right about those you’ve named Johnny, all a bit lightweight but what about trying Kioso in there in more of a Politic role runn8ng at defenders, or maybe Santos in more of a Campo role, he’s big, strong and can see a pass. Both Darcy and Hickman can play wide right until Jones is fit. We also have Gnouhea who can play midfield and stiffen things up a bit. For me both Sarcevic and Comley should be dropped, Sarcevic until he gets fit and loses weight and Comley until he learns how to pass forward quickly instead of slowing everything down. There are options to try but it depends on whether Evatt sees them or is prepared to drop his favourites.

Edited by Whitesince63

Whomever are the “culprits” doesn’t matter to me right now. The others are hardly firing on all cylinders

It’s reaction time Mr Evatt....let’s see what you’re made of!

I sincerely hope he learns and gets us there as I have an inkling that long term he could be our best Manager for over a decade if he does