Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

What has happened to our wonderful town centre

Rudy

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, MickyD said:

Are the journeys into small towns outside of large towns? For example, Horwich; routes in are from Adlington, Bolton x2 (Old Road and New Road), Blackrod, Rivington. 

New Road is hardly a stunning vista going into Horwich is it. Not likely to be neither, given the historical loco works just down the lanes.

The more rural an area, the fewer shitty old buildings. 

2 minutes ago, royal white said:

And it’s fuck all to do with the whites moving to Horwich. You still get people blaming the the state of town on the decision to move stadium 

Aye, all Bolton moving to Migglebrook has done is mean a few pubs between town centre and Burnden Park have shut down.

19 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Rochdale has to be the worst local town centre followed by oldham

rat pits 

Had to go into Oldham this morning for a couple of hours. It really is grim. I find Rochdale a little less scruffy but there’s nothing there. I’d also put Burnley near the top of the list. Bolton’s not great but not the worst by some way imo

28 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Had to go into Oldham this morning for a couple of hours. It really is grim. I find Rochdale a little less scruffy but there’s nothing there. I’d also put Burnley near the top of the list. Bolton’s not great but not the worst by some way imo

Even McDonalds pulled out of Rochdale TC, how shit have you got to be when maccies thinks it's not worth it

22 hours ago, Rudy said:

Maybe I’m seeing it through rose tinted memory glasses but Jesus what has happened.

Went in today to take my grandma for her eye test at Specsavers, I couldn’t go in with her so left her to it and I went for a wander.

I know there’s a pandemic but it’s like a ghost town. 
Crompton place, an out of place jewellers, geezer selling sky, new look gone, BHS gone, a pop up Christmas shop

Walked out near M&S, walked towards what used to be Burton, some shitty looking clothes shop and not much else, charity shops, empty buildings and beggars all over the gaff

Market hall was ok but so many empty places. 

Then the belly of the beast, bradshawgate.

Like downtown Damascus.
It’s almost unrecognisable from 10 years ago. From bank st to the Audi garage opposite B&M it could be and should be flattened, it’s an absolute mess down there. 

Where and why did it go wrong? Recession? wanderers moving out of town? retail parks? CHI-NA?

investing £1.5 billion next week it will be £1.6 billion 

fuck knows whos investing that money 

but i will beleave it when i see it  

not in my life time 

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

. Onto the market for honeycomb tripe

I saw that stuff for the first time, on telly the other day. Some butcher was holding it up.  It did not look appealing! Do you boil it and cover it in salt and vinegar first or can it be ate like that?

Read in BEN yesterday that ye olde pastie shoppe struggling

if anyone passes this during the day please stop in a buy a pastie

trust me they are the best

The owner is 87 years old ( I think) and still works there

ive done so many family parties booking 80/100 meat and tater , and cheese pasties 

add mushy peas and it’s always gone down a storm 

protect this little business coz when it’s gone , it’s gone and we’ll never see their like again

Stotts Cafe in Tyldesley was the only place open when the pubs shut, she made a fortune selling homemade steak puddings, mushy peas and gravy. It's like walking down the curry mile these days. Folk's tastes differ now i'm afraid.

Edited by leigh white

2 hours ago, Mona said:

ive done so many family parties booking 80/100 meat and tater , and cheese pasties 

protect this little business coz when it’s gone , it’s gone and we’ll never see their like again

There was folk queueing outside today.....

Good bit of advertising in the BN.....

They need to get embankment promoting them on Twatter......

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, Mona said:

Debenhams is on it’s arse too. Maybe if we all pop in and buy a shirt, dress, jeans, etc., they’ll survive this squeeze.

I’m not being funny here but if an iconic shop is struggling then there’s a reason for it.

We know the product is ok but look at the location. In an area which used to have a lot of footfall from other shoppers and office workers pretty much became annexed by Bolton Council allowing Primark to make Bradshawgate a ghost town. Add to  that the Bolton News moving their office staff across town and it all spelled disaster for this and plenty other businesses. 
Sorry, but encouraging a few Wanderersways posters to call in and buy a pasty isn’t helping one bit. The owner has the product but they need to take their head out of the sand and move their shop to an area of town with people going past who will buy.