Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

What has happened to our wonderful town centre

Rudy

On 15/10/2020 at 15:35, MancWanderer said:

Had to go into Oldham this morning for a couple of hours. It really is grim. I find Rochdale a little less scruffy but there’s nothing there. I’d also put Burnley near the top of the list. Bolton’s not great but not the worst by some way imo

Went to Burnley , 2 weeks ago. Had a wander round for 2 hrs . Market - roughly 10% occupancy. ( did buy a Disturbed woolly hat) Visited 2 record shops absolute shite ( we are so lucky to have Xrecords).

Did pick up a copy of Going for The One . £5.50 .  

Big Primarni - was 100% better than our Muslim sweat shop.

Rest of the town centre reminded me of Harwood Shopping Centre before it was levelled, or Walkden which needs levelling.

Worst town centre ever is of course Worksop .

Those who were there now.

Beltin Trackside Bar though.

Best social town centre right Now .

Westhoughton !!!

On 14/10/2020 at 20:17, crawshawbooth said:

cant be arsed , they have beaten me and most of you have heard my meaningless rants about it before

3 full cement  wagons to greet me on Bank street this morning and every morning for nearly 2 years , how much do you pour into the hole that was ,the Cromwellian, Maxwell plumbs etc, etc at what fucking cost  and for what point?

some scummy bridge for a load of dingy wallas to stroll over from their Bolton church wharf apartments to spend the afternoon outside shitty coffee shops next to Victoria square 

Yo - Tell em about the pub !!

1 hour ago, embankment said:

Went to Burnley , 2 weeks ago. Had a wander round for 2 hrs . Market - roughly 10% occupancy. ( did buy a Disturbed woolly hat) Visited 2 record shops absolute shite ( we are so lucky to have Xrecords).

Did pick up a copy of Going for The One . £5.50 .  

Big Primarni - was 100% better than our Muslim sweat shop.

Rest of the town centre reminded me of Harwood Shopping Centre before it was levelled, or Walkden which needs levelling.

Worst town centre ever is of course Worksop .

Those who were there Know

Beltin Trackside Bar though.

Best social town centre right Now .

Westhoughton !!!

Pasty shoppe put my nose out of joint when the council were doing up Churchyard.

According to the lads the Site agent and engineer would call in on all the businesses and there was not a moan or complaint from YOPS. The next day the BEN would come out and they'd be in there having a bitch.

My pet hate when working on site was folk being nice to your face but having a pop to others or worse the fucking evening news.

• Site Supporter
On 16/10/2020 at 16:01, Duck Egg said:

I saw that stuff for the first time, on telly the other day. Some butcher was holding it up.  It did not look appealing! Do you boil it and cover it in salt and vinegar first or can it be ate like that?

Used to get it home, vinegar in the honeycombs and eat it as it is. Not sure if it has been cooked beforehand to be honest, but never had it "hot" or any other way.

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

9 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Used to get it home, vinegar in the honeycombs and eat it as it is. Not sure if it has been cooked beforehand to be honest, but never had it "hot" or any other way.

Boiled for hours in order to make it safe.

The only time I have had it hot is in Italy, where they cook it with garlic and tomato, as you would imagine.

On 16/10/2020 at 22:58, Mona said:

Read in BEN yesterday that ye olde pastie shoppe struggling

if anyone passes this during the day please stop in a buy a pastie

trust me they are the best

The owner is 87 years old ( I think) and still works there

ive done so many family parties booking 80/100 meat and tater , and cheese pasties 

add mushy peas and it’s always gone down a storm 

protect this little business coz when it’s gone , it’s gone and we’ll never see their like again

Went today at 12 30 the queue was half way up Churchgate , longest i have ever seen it , nearly at the music shop

it beat those nights in the 1970s when school carol service was in the Parish church and everyone piled out of the service and they had opened up in the evening for us

went back to work for a brew n a pot noodle

• Site Supporter
39 minutes ago, crawshawbooth said:

Went today at 12 30 the queue was half way up Churchgate , longest i have ever seen it , nearly at the music shop

it beat those nights in the 1970s when school carol service was in the Parish church and everyone piled out of the service and they had opened up in the evening for us

went back to work for a brew n a pot noodle

Now I see this a different way. They opened for THEM and their PROFITS not for you per se. You were just the cash cow.

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Now I see this a different way. They opened for THEM and their PROFITS not for you per se. You were just the cash cow.

Surely it works both ways. Plenty of hunger folk eager for a pasty from their favourite local bakery and they open to make a few quid from folk more than happy to part with their cash. 

Win win as I see it. 

On 18/10/2020 at 20:01, Whitestar said:

Mittons pet shop! 

Oggi hairdressing

Derick Guest's cafe

Stolen from Ivor

Javelin Records.    Any of these Bolton shops still there? I bet not.

West End skateboard/joke shop, spent hours hanging out in that place.

Oggis still there, or at least nearby.

Joke shop, the one at the bottom of moor lane at least, was knocked down with the entire row around 1981 ish.

Tries finding mittons the other week, to show the daughter whre they used to have the talking mynah bird. Long gone.

Tracks was were I started off buying records from, moving onto Edwin P Lee's and then X-Records (when it was on Bradshawgate).

• Site Supporter
Just now, Whitestar said:

Tracks was were I started off buying records from, moving onto Edwin P Lee's and then X-Records (when it was on Bradshawgate).

Wasn't Edwin P Lee's up Daubhill? Between Majestic and Ken Charltons bike shop?

Yep, they had a store there.

Main store was lower down on Derby St, next to Drinnan’s, opposite High St.

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Is that the one that moved to directly facing the Stag's Head ?

Yep, not sure that they sold as much vinyl though.

I, I mean my friend, was a bit naughty with their Derby St store and borrowed 45’s on a regular basis. 🙄

2 hours ago, Whitestar said:

Wasn't Edwin P Lee's up Daubhill? Between Majestic and Ken Charltons bike shop?

I remember Ken's cycle shop, i bought a bike from BEN advert in 1975

a sun racer ,about £10 worth, thought i would be a proper smart arse with 3 in one oil and a screwdriver all over the gears

had to walk it up to the shop where Ken put it up on the bench and had it sorted in about ten minutes . He didnt want any payment , just said ,dont mess with what you know nowt about!

sound fella

I got a brand new 5 speed racer from Ken's when i was about 12, thought it was the Nads. Was the equivalent of getting a brand new motor these days.

Wanted a chopper but i was a bit too tall for it and Ken hated them, he wouldn't sell you something that wouldn't suit you. Bet that's long gone too eh?.