Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

FA Cup 1st round

Johnnyrotten

We'll know our opponents in a couple of weeks.  Could be playing Chorley, they're the only club to have got a bye to the first round.

Other NW non league teams we might still play, if they win on 24th October: Skem, FC  Utd of Mcr, Stockport, Fylde (or Altrincham), Chester (or Marine).

34 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

We'll know our opponents in a couple of weeks.  Could be playing Chorley, they're the only club to have got a bye to the first round.

Other NW non league teams we might still play, if they win on 24th October: Skem, FC  Utd of Mcr, Stockport, Fylde (or Altrincham), Chester (or Marine).

Shame we won’t be able to visit, remember Witton Albion last time we were in the Mickey Mouse league. Couldn’t get a ticket so ended up jumping the turnstile. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

8 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Shame we won’t be able to visit, remember Witton Albion last time we were in the Mickey Mouse league. Couldn’t get a ticket so ended up jumping the turnstile. 

Aye we had to get a home ticket 

Cos we can’t go it’ll be County or Alty away or something decent like that 😕

11 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Being honest, I’ve got virtually zero interest given we can’t go. Knowing our luck we’ll have a really good cup run that will feel empty as fuck having to watch it at home on iFollow. 

Technically speaking, a crowd would be allowed if we were away to Skem, Marine or FC Utd but somehow I doubt it. 

35 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Being honest, I’ve got virtually zero interest given we can’t go. 

Agreed, got absolutely no feelings for it this season at all. Draw the highest ranked team possible away so we can get knocked out with no shame and concentrate on this scintillating League 2 campaign instead.

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Being honest, I’ve got virtually zero interest given we can’t go. Knowing our luck we’ll have a really good cup run that will feel empty as fuck having to watch it at home on iFollow. 

Technically speaking, a crowd would be allowed if we were away to Skem, Marine or FC Utd but somehow I doubt it. 

Imagine playing Skem at JMO!

1 hour ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

No we need the money 

Winning in the 1st round is worth £22.6k, £34k for 2nd round, £82k for 3rd round.  Not a game changer but not to be sniffed at in the current climate.

Any lower league club that gets past the 3rd round, with a live TV game thrown in - could arguably be the difference between surviving the season or not for some.

13 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

God that's 30 years ago next month. I went, didn't realise tickets were in such short supply.  They were a big story in local non league at the time, won the league below the conference by 16 points.  I remember thinking it would be a tough game and ripe for a giant killing with it being on MOTD. Turned out to be a bit of a stroll, think we won 3-1.

44 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Winning in the 1st round is worth £22.6k, £34k for 2nd round, £82k for 3rd round.  Not a game changer but not to be sniffed at in the current climate.

Any lower league club that gets past the 3rd round, with a live TV game thrown in - could arguably be the difference between surviving the season or not for some.

As above, for a lot of the potential ties it will cost us more than the £22k prize money just to fulfil the fixture.

• Site Supporter
36 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

God that's 30 years ago next month. I went, didn't realise tickets were in such short supply.  They were a big story in local non league at the time, won the league below the conference by 16 points.  I remember thinking it would be a tough game and ripe for a giant killing with it being on MOTD. Turned out to be a bit of a stroll, think we won 3-1.

Can't remember it being all ticket tbh. Was comfortable iirc. Didn’t comstive score?

36 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Can't remember it being all ticket tbh. Was comfortable iirc. Didn’t comstive score?

Yes, and Darby.  Had to look it up, it was only 2-1 but I think there's was a late consolation.  We drew Man U at OT 2 months later after beating Barrow in 3rd round.

48 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

As above, for a lot of the potential ties it will cost us more than the £22k prize money just to fulfil the fixture.

I could be completely wrong but haven't they regionalised the draw this year due to Covid? If not we could get Canvey Island or Dover away.  If either of those were drawn to play at Carlisle you could understand if they withdrew rather than pay for travel.

On 16/10/2020 at 14:56, Johnnyrotten said:

Yes, and Darby.  Had to look it up, it was only 2-1 but I think there's was a late consolation.  We drew Man U at OT 2 months later after beating Barrow in 3rd round.

Lucky to beat Barrow that day. What a trip to OT a few months later, what a mob we took, never forgetting the walk down Matt Busby way 3/400 lads taking liberties, locals weren’t best pleased, but did nowt about it other than shout & scream. I wonder if Red roger was with us or shouting at us from across the road. Red Army my arse. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

On 15/10/2020 at 22:59, Johnnyrotten said:

King's Lynn now have a bye too, as Notts County have withdrawn due to covid test failures in the squad.