Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cambridge United away.

Marc505

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, JimmyRiddle said:

So where is this criticism of IE coming from, for those of us not on Twitter??

And what they objecting to exactly, ta.

A couple of ex-pros. Marvin Sordell being the most high profile, linked with  the damage comments like this can have on mental health and well-being. Iles to be fair has commented back using the context argument as Jules and I have outlined above.

• Members

Crellin should have had his arse handed to him in the dressing room, the full hairdryer treatment in front of everyone.

NEVER EVER to the press. Thats a golden rule. 
IE should have deflected it onto the officials costing us the game not the keeper, even if he didn’t fully believe it.
That sort of thing loses a dressing room. 

• Site Supporter

Getting better and for longer periods in each game. Long way to go, but looking upward rather than down at last

IE can say what the fuck he wants about the players. He is the Manager, he lives by the sword he dies by the sword. You read in press what you see. You dont SEE or hear what he says face to face. FACT

He should know each of players (as staff members) well enough to know who responds best to criticism in which way. 

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I dont know where you're coming from.  Manager picks team. Fans comment. Some right, some wrong.  England had Kane taking corners and Big Sam had Campo at left back.  If you dont think we are allowed to comment, why do we bother.  We are all fans, lets just agree to disagree on how we go about it.  Re choosing one player above another, its because sometimes I think he's got it wrong, and from day one v FGR I havent seen anything to change my mind.  Baptiste, Amoateng, Greenidge, Comley, White and wingbacks that arent really upto being wingbacks,  could have been improved on.  I'm not sure which bit of it you dont agree with other than you dont like disagreeing with the manager.

Oh my goodness where do I start with this!

If I criticise the manager, I’ll do it in context and with an understanding of the bigger picture that surrounds it (see above with IE re “man-up” phrase.)

Granted, I make more comments about players who I think have played well in games rather than negative ones. What’s wrong with that?

Doesn’t mean to say I don’t have them and quite often it’s been said before, so why repeat it? Such as I see Tutte offering a lot more than Comley - but then I’ll show a bigger picture understanding that Tutte might not have 180 mins in him, so if Comley plays Tuesday I understand it.

I just find your negative comments lack context, or they sound irreversible and final, so I’ll pull you up on them. 

To write off so many of the players when you haven’t seen them play properly seems rash. Amoateng, Greenidge, and White for example. If you were interested I could go on and give you my fan view of these players, but in truth I haven’t seen enough of them to make a substantial judgement. 

It wasn’t long ago you were telling us that we won’t be progressing with Santos, Delaney and Brockbank in our back line. Ok you’ve since admitted you were wrong, fair play. So when you make judgements like this don’t be surprised that people will pick you up on them.

2 hours ago, Good Knee said:

See what you're saying but those managers had international footballers to work with, because of where we are he only as cast offs and bargain basement players and can only beat what's in front of him.

Sure but...

A. It's all relative. None of the teams we're playing now have international footballers either, and their players are all cast offs and bargain basement players too.

B. We're not beating what's in front of us.

Edited by Tombwfc

27 minutes ago, hughmungus said:

Evatt is a liability and will be shown to be what he is, a backstreet bully with little actual coaching knowledge.

Whilst I'm not going to throw out anything quite as kneejerk as this, it does appear that he's done what a lot of managers do and end up going a bit daft, only without the usual 18 months of relative sanity first. 

Freedmanish. 

A few things from yesterday have given me hope for the rest of the season - Our defence looks tighter, we are working harder off the ball and finally (and most encouraging) our football in the build up to our offside goal and our equaliser would tear apart any team in this division - if we can tap into that more, then we’ll fly up this league.

4 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

A few things from yesterday have given me hope for the rest of the season - Our defence looks tighter, we are working harder off the ball and finally (and most encouraging) our football in the build up to our offside goal and our equaliser would tear apart any team in this division - if we can tap into that more, then we’ll fly up this league.

Kioso as made the world of difference for me , plenty of pace and skill have helped to make us look a much more dynamic attack . Let's just hope Doyle isn't too bad.

28 minutes ago, Kane57 said:

Whilst I'm not going to throw out anything quite as kneejerk as this, it does appear that he's done what a lot of managers do and end up going a bit daft, only without the usual 18 months of relative sanity first. 

Freedmanish. 

Well there is a manager who lost the dressing room big time, so let’s hope he doesn’t follow 

5 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

Well there is a manager who lost the dressing room big time, so let’s hope he doesn’t follow 

Given we have come from behind including 2 in first few minutes at Barrow the biggest shining light in last 2 games has been the spirit. Easy again after another disallowed goal and keeper fuck up for heads to drop. So any talk of losing dressing room seems unfounded or implying it might be going as the original post said is unfounded. 
The comments on Crellin like the comments post Oldham were misjudged. Easy to say ‘ he is a young kid who has made mistakes, he knows that. We work on getting those mistakes out of his game.  ‘Man up’ is very Dave Bassett. 
On the team we have seen glimpses of how they can play but only in patches building a bit of confidence should se that happen more. 
Also looking at the disallowed goal yesterday we ain’t half due some luck in a game. 

I know 'man up' is not a phrase that's generally acceptable anymore and I know Sordell had his problems, but it doesnt half grind my gears hearing him weigh in.

He'll be sat in some stately home somewhere, that we paid for, crying at how tough life is for footballers today.

6 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

I know 'man up' is not a phrase that's generally acceptable anymore and I know Sordell had his problems, but it doesnt half grind my gears hearing him weigh in.

He'll be sat in some stately home somewhere, that we paid for, crying at how tough life is for footballers today.

In those days when the club was receiving £40 million a year Sky money is when  a director of football  was needed to be helping the manager with potential signings

4 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

In those days when the club was receiving £40 million a year Sky money is when  a director of football  was needed to be helping the manager with potential signings

From  memory wasn't Sordell an extremely last minute Panic buy? .

Edited by dusan nikolic

45 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Kioso as made the world of difference for me , plenty of pace and skill have helped to make us look a much more dynamic attack . Let's just hope Doyle isn't too bad.

Agreed on Kioso, he looks the real deal at this level.

Doyles got a hammy strain - 4 weeks maybe?

8 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

From  memory wasn't Sordell an extremely last minute Panic buy? .

Yes. Davies/Gartside were desperate to sell Cahill to avoid losing him on a free in 6 months. They tried to sell him the summer before but failed so when Cahill was sold mid January the manager was faced with replacing him and trying to get a striker in to a bottom 4 club during the Jan window when traditionally even the big clubs struggle to attract quality.

9 hours ago, Tombwfc said:

That'd be a bonkers statement to make if he'd won all 11 games so far, never mind one.

Whatever people think of them, the high points of Parky's, Megson's, Coyle's and even Freedman's tenures all just about edge beating Harrogate away.

Just watched the highlights. Very encouraged. when was the last time we scored a goal from sixteen passes in any league?

We will get it right eventually.  injuries not helping and that linesman yesterday robbed us what a fantastic goal that was. Lets stop doubting Evatt, and Sarcevic, and Doyle and Santos and our style and get behind them. And i include myself in that. weve gone from shed load of problems to just two or three now.

Also our luck will turn. injuries a bummer but we can do this.  Absolutely nothing to be frightened of in this league. We are just assembling a squad never mind a team. 20 new players. As GNR said we all need a little patience.

Having re read Evatt's comments, I think if you swapped 'man up' for 'grow up', it fits the context I believe he meant.

I'm my mind he his telling him that losing first team football matches has consequences, people ultimately lose their jobs, so to get his head on and to realise he not playing youth/reserve football anymore.

Not sure I disagree with him tbh, the trouble is, is Crellin that good to stop the errors??

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

Crellin should have had his arse handed to him in the dressing room, the full hairdryer treatment in front of everyone.

NEVER EVER to the press. Thats a golden rule. 
IE should have deflected it onto the officials costing us the game not the keeper, even if he didn’t fully believe it.
That sort of thing loses a dressing room. 

On a general note, not aimed at IE as we dont know what was said, but I still dont understand why a player that's made an obvious error has to be bollocked.  Like Crellin is then going to say "oh yeah boss I didnt realise I'd messed up there, thanks for pointing that out, I wont do that again".  I just dont get what it achieves other than resentment and anger.  Its like that Salford documentary where it showed the manager just bollocking everyone after a defeat and losing control, just makes them look amateurish.  A good manager would just work on it on the training ground and talk it through individually.