Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Free School Meals

Winchester White

1 minute ago, Sweep said:

I bet you could find plenty on Twitter if you had a look 🙂

In the real world though, I can't see why anybody would be pissed off with it

Aye if I went about searching for random Folk there is always the perpetually offended brigade. But I would be surprised if anyone on here knew anyone really that was actually pissed off about the actual message and plight behind it. 

it’s hungry kiddies ffs. 

4 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Time for a plan B 

There is the issue, we don't have one at present, and I'm not sure we have anybody capable of producing one, and even if this government did come up with some sort of plan, the other side would rail against it

I said, as did others on here, this crisis should have been a cross party thing, for the benefit of everybody. Sadly, both sides are, in general, sticking to their party lines. 

It's all a farce, I mean why do we have different rules in Wales, Scotcherland and England? - farcial, they should all be following the same strategy surely?!?!

Just now, Escobarp said:

Aye if I went about searching for random Folk there is always the perpetually offended brigade. But I would be surprised if anyone on here knew anyone really that was actually pissed off about the actual message and plight behind it. 

it’s hungry kiddies ffs. 

Its not, its a conspiracy against the government led by a young black footballer and the metropolitan Liberal cabal. 

Just now, Not in Crawley said:

Again, how much is continuing free school meals until Easter going to cost the taxpayer? Absolute peanuts.

The handling of the pandemic is another side issue, its been handled in a certain way so families are poorer and kids are going to go hungry.

Sort this out first, if a problem caused by the government as you are saying, then they need to fix the urgent issues first. 

I still don't get the whataboutery on this subject. Folk are strange at times.

Putting 1m kids into food poverty should not be a side issue

I certainly don’t think it’s ‘whataboutery’, you said yourself ‘due to a global pandemic’ 

The pandemic and this issue are intrinsically linked. 1m more kids have been pushed into food poverty and thats with us throwing ridiculous amounts behind a furlough scheme 

When that eventually ends and its work or Universal Credit how many more kids will go the same way? 

Just now, birch-chorley said:

Putting 1m kids into food poverty should not be a side issue

I certainly don’t think it’s ‘whataboutery’, you said yourself ‘due to a global pandemic’ 

The pandemic and this issue are intrinsically linked. 1m more kids have been pushed into food poverty and thats with us throwing ridiculous amounts behind a furlough scheme 

When that eventually ends and its work or Universal Credit how many more kids will go the same way? 

Good grief. On this simple point it is a side issue. There is an immediate need, it needs sorting out.

This issue isn't about the UC or how we go forward, its aimed to stop an immediate crisis. Stop mixing up the two issues.

1 minute ago, Not in Crawley said:

When you find dull resistance, I find it best to stop pushing.

I'll be clear for the final time, and then I'm afraid I can't help you anymore

READ. THE. FIRST. POST. AGAIN.

OK? Right then we can both get on with our day. 

If the answer was in the first post the I wouldn’t of asked the question. 

You crack on with your day.

7 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Good grief. On this simple point it is a side issue. There is an immediate need, it needs sorting out.

This issue isn't about the UC or how we go forward, its aimed to stop an immediate crisis. Stop mixing up the two issues.

I guess it’s not for me or you to decide what’s the main issue and what’s the side issue 

If you asked the parents of the 1m kids who now fall into this category what their main issue is, I’d wager good money that they would say that losing their jobs because of government restrictions is the big one 

The side issue would be, free school lunches through half term 

But it’s probably better to let those families decide rather than me and you go at it 

3 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

But the answer to your question was in the first bloody post. I do hope you're not in charge of heavy machinery today.

“There so much confusion on this thread on a very simple issue. Due to a global pandemic, which has disproportionately effected those with lower incomes who generally work in service industries, we should be extending free school meals beyond their usual remit. Its not difficult.

this is what you posted.

I asked do you think those in the same position as last year should still get same meals. So far you have failed to answer. 

12 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

I guess it’s not for me or you to decide what’s the main issue and what’s the side issue 

If you asked the parents of the 1m kids who now fall into this category what their main issue is, I’d wager good money that they would say that losing their jobs because of government restrictions is the big one 

The side issue would be, free school lunches through half term 

But it’s probably better to let those families decide rather than me and you go at it 

But that isn't what we are discussing, should free school meals go through until Easter? Yes.

Has thus pandemic made people poorer because people are losing their jobs? Yes.

Are the two issues linked? Yes.

Should we still make sure kids are fed? Yes.

Should we then look at how we sort out the economy? Yes.

I just don't see the complexity some are attributing to a very immediate, very real issue.

I'm poorer, my partner has one more pay check. Im working two jobs. But I see this as the side issue to feeding kids.

12 minutes ago, royal white said:

“There so much confusion on this thread on a very simple issue. Due to a global pandemic, which has disproportionately effected those with lower incomes who generally work in service industries, we should be extending free school meals beyond their usual remit. Its not difficult.

this is what you posted.

I asked do you think those in the same position as last year should still get same meals. So far you have failed to answer. 

The answer is in statement. Keep looking, you'll get there im sure.

1 minute ago, Not in Crawley said:

The answer is in statement. Keep looking, you'll get there im sure.

Nope there’s no mention of what you think should happen to folk who’s circumstances haven’t changed from last year. 

Not a clue why you don’t want to answer a simple question. It’s a yes or no answer. 

• Site Supporter
49 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Its not, its a conspiracy against the government led by a young black footballer and the metropolitan Liberal cabal. 

I’m not sure Rashford had any such thoughts when highlighting that Covid-caused school closures meant that children who would have Received a free meal now wouldn’t. I don’t think he even meant it to be extended to include school holidays but the unprecedented closures perhaps placed unexpected financial pressures on poorer families.

That it became political isn’t the fault of “a young black footballer” and if the Tory Party had run with Rashford’s idea then the Labour Party would have been against it.

Perversely, maybe when Labour are in support of something like this they ought to feign being against it. That way the larger party then supports the policy.

Thats howParty Politics works isn’t it?

1 hour ago, Ani said:

So you believe no kids will go hungry over the school holidays ? 

If they do it’ll be poor parenting rather than poor governance. There is lots of help out there, lots of folk offering free meals for kids and if the child’s parents can’t locate help then I’ll put it down to the parents rather than it’s everyone else’s fault. 

4 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

If they do it’ll be poor parenting rather than poor governance. There is lots of help out there, lots of folk offering free meals for kids and if the child’s parents can’t locate help then I’ll put it down to the parents rather than it’s everyone else’s fault. 

Ok so given we know there are bad parents out there we agree kids will go hungry. 

So a scheme to help with that is bad why ? 

To be honest I do not agree bad parents is the only cause but doubt we will agree on that. 

41 minutes ago, Ani said:

Ok so given we know there are bad parents out there we agree kids will go hungry. 

So a scheme to help with that is bad why ? 

To be honest I do not agree bad parents is the only cause but doubt we will agree on that. 

Sorry I don’t agree, bad parents are the issue not the availability of free food. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

8 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Sorry I don’t agree, bad parents are the issue not the availability of free food. 

When schools provided free meals during the last holidays there were some parents complaining as they had no way of getting their kids to school to collect them.

Can’t win