Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Free School Meals

Winchester White

50 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Over 5m students that would only end up at £25bn a year, not sure where the other £15bn is going 

Assuming it must be central administration, building schools and probably pensions for retired teachers 

I understand that the school's pay the pension employer contributions from the funding they get. That's part of the reason that many schools recruit more inexperienced staff. Particularly schools that don't have the fortune of being able to over subscribe themselves.

I suspect some of the costs in your calcs are for civil servants, DfE, Ofsted etc etc

12 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

I fully understand the restrictions put in place to fight Covid have made life really difficult for many, I’ve been one saying that the restrictions have gone too far and the economy needs to take priority over healthcare 

Would the situation have been better or worse had the government not increased universal credit by the biggest % of any previous government ever? I’m sure they would have been much worse, yet they got little credit for that increase 

The point still stands, nobody expected them to spend the extra £8bn on UC this year. Yet the got hammered for initially not spending another £800m on the same group in the way of FSM in the holidays 

I know you do fella, that was clear from your comments about poor folk who've been hit hard. I just thought it was an eye opening video.

Many of the people in that video are the kind that people would falsely judge as an 'underclass of cunts' or vermin who put themselves before their kids. Because they sound & look a certain way.

The government definitely deserve credit for the increase of universal credit. That support needs to stay in place until we have some normality back & we shouldn't be relying on priests & Unicef to feed those who need it.

It's a fine balance outside of a pandemic. Throwing money at people clearly doesn't work; but neither does removing safety nets. I'm still of the opinion that the government has taken this country backwards since the financial crash & didn't need to cut key services in the way it did. 

Edited by London Wanderer

1 hour ago, London Wanderer said:

I know you do fella, that was clear from your comments about poor folk who've been hit hard. I just thought it was an eye opening video.

Many of the people in that video are the kind that people would falsely judge as an 'underclass of cunts' or vermin who put themselves before their kids. Because they sound & look a certain way.

The government definitely deserve credit for the increase of universal credit. That support needs to stay in place until we have some normality back & we shouldn't be relying on priests & Unicef to feed those who need it.

It's a fine balance outside of a pandemic. Throwing money at people clearly doesn't work; but neither does removing safety nets. I'm still of the opinion that the government has taken this country backwards since the financial crash & didn't need to cut key services in the way it did. 

The UNICEF stunt was more about PR than anything else, £25k??? They should either put up some proper funding or shut up IMO 

To be fair, following the 2008 crash, all 3 major parties put forward austerity agendas. Their wasn’t a great deal between all 3 plans, Gordon Brown wanted to do it over a longer period (he got my vote), Cameron over 1 term (which quickly got pushed back when it was found to be too severe). I recall Cameron et all saying we needed to cut further or end up like Greece, well we are now in three times as much debt as we were then 

The Covid economic crisis in the U.K. will make 2008 look like a Tea Party. The tax rises will be severe and they will impact disposable income, the industries that will feel the force of that are the ones who are currently being clobbered (hospitality etc). That’s not going to bode well for getting all of the unemployed back into work 

People won’t like it but key public services are going to see some proper cuts this time, way beyond what we saw over the last 10 years (NHS budget growing by 15% but still being classed as a cut etc) 

26 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

The UNICEF stunt was more about PR than anything else, £25k??? They should either put up some proper funding or shut up IMO 

To be fair, following the 2008 crash, all 3 major parties put forward austerity agendas. Their wasn’t a great deal between all 3 plans, Gordon Brown wanted to do it over a longer period (he got my vote), Cameron over 1 term (which quickly got pushed back when it was found to be too severe). I recall Cameron et all saying we needed to cut further or end up like Greece, well we are now in three times as much debt as we were then 

The Covid economic crisis in the U.K. will make 2008 look like a Tea Party. The tax rises will be severe and they will impact disposable income, the industries that will feel the force of that are the ones who are currently being clobbered (hospitality etc). That’s not going to bode well for getting all of the unemployed back into work 

People won’t like it but key public services are going to see some proper cuts this time, way beyond what we saw over the last 10 years (NHS budget growing by 15% but still being classed as a cut etc) 

It may be a PR stunt.. though we're still rated as one of the highest in Europe for child hunger.

Aye I didn't claim Labour or the other parties were going to or would have done it much differently. 

It doesn't need to be that way, it doesn't need to hit key services, but we will be told we have no choice & that we are all in it together.

9 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

It may be a PR stunt.. though we're still rated as one of the highest in Europe for child hunger.

Aye I didn't claim Labour or the other parties were going to or would have done it much differently. 

It doesn't need to be that way, it doesn't need to hit key services, but we will be told we have no choice & that we are all in it together.

I’m not sure how you can pay off all this debt without reducing your spending 

Big tax rises being talked about (20% tax turning to 25% & 40% tax turning to 45%) that still won’t be enough (whilst reducing disposable increasing unemployment). We already tax close to 40% of GDP anyway

Beyond that you have to cut your cloth according to the money you have coming in. Services will have to be cut at some point if we look to pay the debt down 

• Site Supporter
52 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

It isn't £25k, it is £700k in total I think.

3 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

I’m not sure how you can pay off all this debt without reducing your spending 

Big tax rises being talked about (20% tax turning to 25% & 40% tax turning to 45%) that still won’t be enough (whilst reducing disposable increasing unemployment). We already tax close to 40% of GDP anyway

Beyond that you have to cut your cloth according to the money you have coming in. Services will have to be cut at some point if we look to pay the debt down

I'm all for increases in taxes to prevent key services facing more cuts. If it was done fairly & tax avoidance from the richest was cracked down on. Can't see that happening under this lot.

Public services are already struggling from a decade of austerity. If we hit them harder then that will only have a negative effect on our economy.

There are other ways and more sustainable economic systems out there. Without drastic global changes to eating habits & wildlife destruction then pandemics are only set to continue & who's to say the next one won't be worse. By the time we pay debt off & improve funding then another financial crash or pandemic will be around the corner. We need a more sustainable & resilient economy where the money goes back into society rather than sitting idle.

Edited by London Wanderer

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Charging the tax payer £30 to supply £5 worth of food? Par for the course with these cunts.

Its not their fault, its the fag smoking, wide-screen watching tossers who expect the state to feed their kids.

The kids'll have a tin of beans and be grateful. In my day, we had sugar butties and lumps of coal and everyone was fed, and everyone was friendly and there was no crime and everyone worked hard, everyday for their food.

47 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Its not their fault, its the fag smoking, wide-screen watching tossers who expect the state to feed their kids.

The kids'll have a tin of beans and be grateful. In my day, we had sugar butties and lumps of coal and everyone was fed, and everyone was friendly and there was no crime and everyone worked hard, everyday for their food.

I didn't know Mounts was sub-contracting his posts on here🤣