Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Free School Meals

Winchester White

• Members
18 minutes ago, Spider said:

I’ve tweeted Rashford a picture of my daughter looking a bit glum and dipping a piece of dry pasta into a glass of tap water.

I want free food.

Maybe a picture of the wife’s cans will do it 

25 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

@Escobarp

Who do you think Marcus Rashford MBE is, the disgraced Donald Trump? Posting shite from Britain First etc. without a 2nd thought.

I'm sure he has advisors and researchers to hand - he seems a fairly smart bloke, I'm sure he'd be aware of the damage retweeting bullshit would do to his cause.

I avoid Twitter like the plague, but some of the links to it posted on here by the alty-reety lot, dear oh dear; Tommeh's bumchum Damo, David Vance, conservativewoman, GuidoFawkes et al.

All bastions of fair-mindedness and truth.

You paint the Tories as being pilloried for every miniscule act.

I see folk defending them to the hilt on almost every issue.

Anyhow, I've made a conscious effort to avoid anything political on here for months now and I'm not being drawn back in.

It's tiresome and I think it's far more revealing to give the soapbox entirely over to the 10-12 members of the 'Ooh! We're SO right-wing!' club and let them have a free-run Lemon party over the issues of the day...

What's that 'law' concerning internet discussions over time?

I like Marcus rashford. Very supportive of him and what he’s doing  As I’ve said clearly. 

6 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I like Marcus rashford. Very supportive of him and what he’s doing  As I’ve said clearly. 

That may be but you've questioned, albeit jokingly, the veracity of the the photos (of the food parcels) he's published too...

Anyway, never mind me, I'm still smarting that I broke that bottle of McEwan's Champion Ale barely out of the shop's doorway - I was really looking forward to it, but no way was I going back in and queuing another twenty minutes for another one 🙁.

7 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

That may be but you've questioned, albeit jokingly, the veracity of the the photos (of the food parcels) he's published too...

Anyway, never mind me, I'm still smarting that I broke that bottle of McEwan's Champion Ale barely out of the shop's doorway - I was really looking forward to it, but no way was I going back in and queuing another twenty minutes for another one 🙁.

Because I don’t believe that to be the true picture I’m happy to be proven wrong as it hurts my heart to think of a kid being given that pal 

• Site Supporter

Was on radio 4 earlier.

the picture doing the rounds is a £10 box for one child , not a £30 box for two children as stated , they accept that even the £10 box isn’t adequate and are investigating. 
not sure if that’s the same picture / box as the one posted on here but just been listening to this on the way home 

42 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Because I don’t believe that to be the true picture I’m happy to be proven wrong as it hurts my heart to think of a kid being given that pal 

I don't think anyone wants that to be true.

If it is true then they (the government) should take swift and severe action.

They should not try to bullshit their way out of it - because this Quango is largely comprised of their pals.

I stand to be corrected but if those pictures are true surely the whole site would be unanimous in agreement it's disgusting and insulting.

If I was given that the hapless delivery bloke would be taking it back to depot 'keistered'.

2 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I don't think anyone wants that to be true.

If it is true then they (the government) should take swift and severe action.

They should not try to bullshit their way out of it - because this Quango is largely comprised of their pals.

I stand to be corrected but if those pictures are true surely the whole site would be unanimous in agreement it's disgusting and insulting.

If I was given that the hapless delivery bloke would be taking it back to depot 'keistered'.

See above apparently it’s a fraction of what it was supposed to portray. But a thorough investigation needs to be instigated immediately and all the suppliers of this type of thing audited now. 

we have to look after the children. Irrespective of why they find themselves in the situation. They cannot fend for themselves

9 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Even at £10.50 that's a piss-take.

How much to deliver it? Pack it? Store it? 

the flaw isn’t with the individual companies I don’t think (although some may well be greedy and probably will be). The flaw is with the scheme. 

We all could have told the government pay 10.50 for a box of food and it will be at best 6/7 quids worth.

but what is the solution? I certainly don’t know. Do you have any realistic ideas how to make it better?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Wrap your knob in a sandwich bag and tweet it to him saying what do i do with this? 

be all over Twitter with disgust at the tories in minutes. And general disgust of course 😁

Salt and pepper in a match box

• Site Supporter
59 minutes ago, little whitt said:

is it £30 a week per child take its for the 5 days at school ?? and only for lunch 

( cause the FULL TIME MUMMY gives them breakfast and tea )

that's £6 a day for lunch they could go McDs for a big tasty meal 

12 things from £1 bakery 

No I think that is where the reporting is false. I am sure I heard on the wireless it is £15 per week per child so £15 ÷ 7 × 5 = £10.71. I could be wrong mind.

Still, when you scale up it was a crap offering and they have rightly apologised.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

the flaw isn’t with the individual companies I don’t think (although some may well be greedy and probably will be). The flaw is with the scheme. 

We all could have told the government pay 10.50 for a box of food and it will be at best 6/7 quids worth.

but what is the solution? I certainly don’t know. Do you have any realistic ideas how to make it better?

https://laca.co.uk/laca-view/free-school-meals-guidance-producing-food-parcels

Guidance to be adopted by school meal caterers when making up boxes.

This from a link on the gov.uk website.

Not that difficult really. 

Just seems some fuckwits not doing it properly. 

1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

They'll have bulk buying capabilities. You or I could buy the contents of that photo from the local shop for £5, so they invariably can get it for a lot less. There is no way on Earth that is acceptable for £10.50, including overheads. No way at all.

The solution is a simple one. Don't take the piss and attempt to maximise profits at the expense of kids getting some decent food.

4 minutes ago, DazBob said:

They'll have bulk buying capabilities. You or I could buy the contents of that photo from the local shop for £5, so they invariably can get it for a lot less. There is no way on Earth that is acceptable for £10.50, including overheads. No way at all.

The solution is a simple one. Don't take the piss and attempt to maximise profits at the expense of kids getting some decent food.

That’s not a realistic solution unless you get a charity to do it and sadly it’s too big a task for any charity. 

who said it was acceptable? Please don’t put words in my mouth. 

5 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

He's ace. Just seems dead calm about it all, non political, doesn't seem to get angry, just lays out the facts.

And still doing it on the pitch.

And he's what? 22?

An impressive young man.

He’s lived the life. That makes a massive difference to understanding what these kids are going through and the challenges They face. 

there will be a few on here that can also empathize having been through it. Not saying it’s the be all and end all but it certainly helps. Like any situation I guess 

Just now, Escobarp said:

He’s lived the life. That makes a massive difference to understanding what these kids are going through and the challenges They face. 

there will be a few on here that can also empathize having been through it. Not saying it’s the be all and end all but it certainly helps. Like any situation I guess 

Aye, definitely.