Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Free School Meals

Winchester White

• Site Supporter

There is an important caveat I'll put on this

That picture only shows what they SAY was delivered.

If the mother has smoked a ten deck of Rothmans and sank the half bottle of Grants whisky that was in the box then Chartwell are off the hook

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Parliamentary discussions previously commented that using vouchers might make people feel undermined and inadequate when handing them over at the till.

Not sure if they're available or not, but if folk can have the money then they could take it and do a shop themselves.

Surely they'd use cards?

@stevieb

When various outlets were doing NHS 10% discount cigs/tobacco, petrol, lottery and booze purchases were excluded. Morrisons allowed discounts on alcohol apart from spirits and liqueurs.

It wouldn't be hard to issue limited purchase cards that could be remotely topped up every week...

Back to the poster I'm quoting, drivel? Fuck me, if there was a league table of drivellers on here I wouldn't be in the Euro spots...

Most of my posts are tongue-in-cheek, so will be drivelly in nature.

As Rudy wrote, some posts with genuine views are almost parody.

It's often incredibly hard to discern the serious from the satire.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, barryk32 said:

Beans & spud, beans on toast, cheese butties, Pasta (should be some sauce to be fair).

You can make 5 dinners out of this for a child.  Its not meant to feed a family of 4 for a fortnight.

I reckon folk just got used to getting 30 quid a week to spend on what the bollocks they want.

The box in question was meant to feed 2 kids for 10 days.

50 minutes ago, DazBob said:

A food parcel, rather than a £30 Morrison's voucher is definitely the right route to go down as it should ensures kids end up with food, and proper food at that.

What the scandal is here, is that a company is receiving £30 to send out that meagre fiver's worth of food - obvs all dependant on whether the picture we've seen is an accurate example of what is sent out, rather than a one-off.

If it IS true then this needs an investigation.  I full understand it's not just the cost of goods, but also the overheads that need to be covered ... but that picture we've seen, again if a true representation, shows somebody is taking the piss.

Like I said it’s a scandal if that’s what 30quid buys you. I suspect the truth is somewhat different but it needs looking at immediately by government and if it is the case then putting right and the contract removing straight away. And then named and shamed. 

59 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Did you hear that some of the ones in London contained Foie Gras, Pheasant and Luxury Chocolates

I’ve heard as well you get a 24 pack of DIPA’s with the cost taken from elderly care budgets in the north west. 

plus they can’t give your type normal food your digestive system won’t be used to peasant food pal. Got to look after the money men like I’ve said. 

take it from the footsoldiers 

1 hour ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Why the fuck award this contract to some middleman spiv crony cunts.

Symptom of this government. They have and always will award contracts to their donor chums, regardless of whether it is the right thing to do or not. 

They've done it for the past ten years. It has left us with a wider gap between the richest & poorest and some of the highest levels of hunger and deprivation among the world’s richest nations.

They've done it throughout this pandemic & now we've the highest excess deaths rate in Europe. 

I'm sure we all wait expectedly for the rewards to start trickling down and at least they got Brexit done. Bravo 👍

p.s - Chartwells have said this doesn't reflect their food parcels and is a one off. So I might be proven wrong tomorrow when we hear all about their nutritious game changing food parcels.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, DazBob said:

What the scandal is here, is that a company is receiving £30 to send out that meagre fiver's worth of food - obvs all dependant on whether the picture we've seen is an accurate example of what is sent out, rather than a one-off.

there's a few examples here

https://news.sky.com/story/i-could-do-more-with-30-angry-mum-criticises-free-school-meals-hamper-12185627

this is my "favourite" one - cutting food in half, a stub of carrot and storing food in money bags

not sure you can call it a "glitch", someone has decided that is what is being sent and told someone to put it together in that way

Ere57bSXAAANdbk?format=jpg&name=large

1 minute ago, London Wanderer said:

Symptom of this government. They have and always will award contracts to their donor chums, regardless of whether it is the right thing to do or not. 

They've done it for the past ten years. It has left us with a wider gap between the richest & poorest and some of the highest levels of hunger and deprivation among the world’s richest nations.

They've done it throughout this pandemic & now we've the highest excess deaths rate in Europe...

It's beyond the pale in normal times.

When we're virtually on a war footing it's inexcusable.

Utter bollocks awarding contracts solely on account of 'Jeremy being a bloody good chap at Eton, and lest not forget the £40k he tipped into party coffers last annum...'

That said, heads will roll...

Probably the head(s) of folk well down the foodchain in this 'old boys' outfit.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

https://news.sky.com/story/i-could-do-more-with-30-angry-mum-criticises-free-school-meals-hamper-12185627

this is my "favourite" one - cutting food in half, a stub of carrot and storing food in money bags

not sure you can call it a "glitch", someone has decided that is what is being sent and told someone to put it together in that way

It is really pathetic- somewhere within the company something has gone wrong.

Its not reflective of the situation generally though. 

4 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Half a carrot?

How much is a bloody carrot?

Feel this could run and run, depsite the cries of storm in a teacup, nothing to see here.

I know its not the same, but this was the average weekly allowance for a person's ration in 1940. 

• Bacon & Ham         4 oz
  • Other meat            value of 1 shilling and 2 pence (equivalent to 2 chops)
  • Butter                      2 oz
  • Cheese                     2 oz
  • Margarine              4 oz
  • Cooking fat            4 oz
  • Milk                       3 pints
  • Sugar                    8 oz
  • Preserves            1 lb every 2 months
  • Tea                        2 oz
  • Eggs                     1 fresh egg (plus allowance of dried egg)
  • Sweets                  12 oz every 4 weeks

17 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

They've done it throughout this pandemic & now we've the highest excess deaths rate in Europe. 

I'm sure we all wait expectedly for the rewards to start trickling down and at least they got Brexit done. Bravo 👍

p.s - Chartwells have said this doesn't reflect their food parcels and is a one off. So I might be proven wrong tomorrow when we hear all about their nutritious game changing food parcels.

What a ridiculous post. Fuck me 

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Half a carrot?

How much is a bloody carrot?

Feel this could run and run, depsite the cries of storm in a teacup, nothing to see here.

I'm still trying to figure out what is in the bag on the right

I presumed the money bag on the left was pasta but on further inspection, it's a handful of grated cheese!

it's all a bit weird if you ask me, somewhere there is a factory knocking this lot out, and someone going "yeah, that'll do"

• Site Supporter
Just now, ZicoKelly said:

I'm still trying to figure out what is in the bag on the right

I presumed the money bag on the left was pasta but on further inspection, it's a handful of grated cheese!

it's all a bit weird if you ask me, somewhere there is a factory knocking this lot out, and someone going "yeah, that'll do"

Tuna fish I think.