Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bradford Home 27th Oct

desperado

4 hours ago, Cheese said:

When it comes to Left Backs, I really liked Robbie Elliot. I vividly remember him scoring a goal a few yards in front of me from an impossibly tight angle. Fuck knows who it was against, and I don't think he was playing in defence at the time.

He scored a similar one in the 3-1 win against Villa in the 1997/98 season.

5 hours ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

Cox seems to split opinion massively with our fanbase. Was my favourite player after Tommo and Blakey left, and seem to remember him being really good. I was however 10 years old when he left.

I’ve read some saying he’s up there with our best right backs in recent times, yet I’m sure I’ve seen him take a few slaggings online so perhaps he wasn’t great. 

Elliott I think was steady, though injury prone and overall didn’t live up to the hype. I don’t recall being too disappointed when he went back to Newcastle. I was however surprised they wanted him. 

Iirc he really liked it here and was keen to stay but only one club could turn his head and sadly it was Newcastle.

21 minutes ago, tomski said:

Iirc he really liked it here and was keen to stay but only one club could turn his head and sadly it was Newcastle.

Unfortunately the broken leg really disaffected Elliot mentally. Not sure he was ever the player that he had the potential to be after that. I remember a mate of mine in the game telling me he had a lot of counselling / psychology sessions after it to try and help.

He defo played LB and Midfield for us like you say, but he never chalked up that regular appearances for anyone after the injury.

Signing him was massive at the time for us - a real signal we were in the big time. Yet more bad fortune for BWFC 

• Members
24 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Elliott & cox big money at the time for us 

charlton cost naff all kept fit and put a good shift in, in terms of value he’s one of best the clubs made 

He’d always be the one staying back for corners, if we got hit on the counter I’d be so confident that he would do alright on his own 

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Elliott & cox big money at the time for us 

charlton cost naff all kept fit and put a good shift in, in terms of value he’s one of best the clubs made 

Aye, him and Barness were great value for money and gave decent returns

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Cheese said:

I'm chatting shit too. I think it was Cox who scored that goal I talked about, not Elliot. I remember seeing it vividly, but don't remember any of the details.

Having slept on it, I'm pretty sure it was Elliot after all. My memory is fucked. 

2 hours ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

Another one who I’ve seen split opinion. I thought he was outstanding. 

I’m split the other way. Thought he was unfit and clearly passing through for a wage cheque. Used to see him down Deansgate Locks all the time. 

I think sometimes the name dazzled us (that’s no critique of you my Betis brethren BTW); another was Nakata. Average for me with the odd bit of quality but I think it’s another unpopular view 🤷🏽‍♂️