Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Leyton Orient (A)

Rudy

The last time i went to Orient was years ago, it pissed down all day & just as our van got to Leyton, it was announced postponed on the radio. Had an hour in the pub, got supplies & set off back but soon after, the back door flew open & half the cans fell out . Happy days.

Further back, went to 3 night matches there, hitched once & didn't get back till the following mid morning, & once on the Hargreaves coach that got a couple of windows smashed  by West Ham fans. When we were good, Scarboro or Hartlepool  were most peoples' low points but for me it was those night games at Orient !!!

That said, it was one of the trips i really fancied this season. Very hopeful of a win. 

On 28/10/2020 at 09:46, radcliffewhite1 said:

Like I mentioned yesterday if we can get a nice run of winning games going great

nothing more frustrating than stop start

1-2

On 28/10/2020 at 10:00, Piemon said:

Any win please.

The signs are there hopefully last night was the springboard for us to go on a run

There's quite a few people starting to talk now about us going on a run. 

Fact is we have only lost once now in our  last six league games , and whilst the points return is disappointing so far with 3 draws , just stopping the habit of regularly losing is to my mind the first signs of those much needed green shoots of recovery. 

If we can avoid defeat at Orient and that run then becomes just one defeat in seven , confidence will grow and we will slowly start to move up that table, and then we wont be talking so much about going on a run , we'll be waking up to the fact that we might already be witnessing the early stages of a turnaround in the clubs fortunes. 

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

think I've only seen us play these once, in 92/93

it was the only time I ever sat in the Burnden Stand, seem to recall Ricky Otto tearing us a new one, but, still won 1-0

Late 70s, orient were one of a very small number of teams with any non white players

I think one actually had family in bolton

Later followed by Cunningham

remember a very uninspiring New Years Day i think game at burnden which until recently was a lowlight of my time 3rd div mid 80's. also went to one that got called off -pretty late if memory serves. other than that cant remember much else about these.

• Members
2 hours ago, DomRepWanderer said:

I'd love to see our defenders getting in on the scoring act, sadly it's not looking likely just yet.

Need to start with getting out corners right; either that or Santos does a Gudni against Barnsley and absolutely thundercunts it from 40 yards 

4 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

Optimism hasn't reached Chez Spencer yet, possibly due to us looking rubbish pretty much every minute i've been able to watch.

But as it's an away game and i won't be watching we will probably win

I'm in that category.  I'm not watching away games, I would if we could attend but the i-follow experience is dispiriting and isolating so I choose to do other things on those days.  Missed 1st 30 v Bradford coz of i-follow and everyone said we played great, all I saw was Bradford all over us last 15 mins of half, and the 2nd half was so open it could have been 3-0 or 1-3.  Overall, unconvincing.  I cant wait for that game when we clearly look like the better side (even if we unluckily only draw), until then its too early to talk about long unbeaten runs.  I think what's putting me off most (other than keeper situation) is that after 9 games the opposition keeper has hardly been worked by shots on target.  I'm struggling to think of many all season apart from Sarcevic's 2 decent goals away,  at home we look impotent in front of goal, so far.  It will change eventually but we aren't there yet.

7 hours ago, bolton va va said:

The last time i went to Orient was years ago, it pissed down all day & just as our van got to Leyton, it was announced postponed on the radio. Had an hour in the pub, got supplies & set off back but soon after, the back door flew open & half the cans fell out . Happy days.

Further back, went to 3 night matches there, hitched once & didn't get back till the following mid morning, & once on the Hargreaves coach that got a couple of windows smashed  by West Ham fans. When we were good, Scarboro or Hartlepool  were most peoples' low points but for me it was those night games at Orient !!!

That said, it was one of the trips i really fancied this season. Very hopeful of a win. 

One of those must have been 1985 or 6, the only time I've been, still not sure why I did as I've only done a handful of London games.  We were 3-1 up at half time thanks to Rudge, Chandler etc, and managed to lose 4-3 to a team no better than us.  I remember walking back to the coach with Dave Higson, we were fuming at the collapse.   It was lashing it down on that open terrace, and they let us move into the covered seats for the 2nd half, all 200 of us.

8 hours ago, passmosster said:

Last time that I went to Orient Rioch had just signed John McGinlay. He skied one over the bar whereupon the man in front of me said that he was rubbish and would never make it. Ah well you can't always be Mr Right.

Boxing Day 1991, 12 noon kick off IIRC. Haha I also said somethimg similar after McGinlay put it over the bar when it was easier to score, maybe you were sat behind me :)

Last time I went to Orient was 1977, got food poisoning after eating dodgy ham, egg & chips at Watford Gap. Then car broke down after the match and we waited hours for the AA to sort us out. Had to keep stopping on the way home to throw up 🤮

We drew 1-1 and I think Tony Dunne may have either scored or got stretchered off. Was still at school so my memory is a bit sketchy.. we won the league that season too 👍