Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Leyton Orient (A)

Rudy

• Site Supporter

Interesting reading Gilks’ Wiki page

While Simon Grayson was Blackpool manager, he did not usually name a substitute goalkeeper, preferring to have five outfield players on the bench.

So we know where he gets the idea but now when a club can name an extra two subs it seems a dangerous game, especially when you consider how lucky he was to stay on the pitch today.

43 minutes ago, marple whites said:

17 shots - non on target

9 corners

defending like twats (Baptiste and crellin - so he saved a penalty)

quite interesting listening to their commentary - this could well be their biggest ever result.  How good they were, how poor we were.  Where we have come from etc.  Also questioning money ball method, how sarcevic looked unfit

simply not good enough, absolute embarrassment. Junior gave up after the fourth - thank god I hadn’t spent well over a ton and still be fighting my way back to Euston if we could have gone.

game was over at half time 

nothing to look forward to at the moment apart from Bolton games and been let down on a massive scale

I think we have to ignore that.  He could be 20 stone but he's also our 2nd top scorer in league and cup.  As I suggested the other day, he's the new Nolan, he'll look unfit slow and laboured most weeks but will score some goals. I dont have a problem with the dodgy players that bring something to the table, its those that don't offer anything that IE has to get shut of.

9 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Interesting reading Gilks’ Wiki page

So we know where he gets the idea but now when a club can name an extra two subs it seems a dangerous game, especially when you consider how lucky he was to stay on the pitch today.

I forgot about the double jeopardy rule for a few moments as he conceded the penalty and really thought this was going to be a seminal moment. 

Massive defeat apart, I'd be seeing this as a real warning sign to start putting a recognised keeper on the bench from now on even if he does persevere with Crellin.

4 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

I forgot about the double jeopardy rule for a few moments as he conceded the penalty and really thought this was going to be a seminal moment. 

After Earle got sent off at Accy last year AND gave a penalty away, I wasn't sure that rule still existed.

1 minute ago, Marc505 said:

Massive defeat apart, I'd be seeing this as a real warning sign to start putting a recognised keeper on the bench from now on even if he does persevere with Crellin.

But then he'd have to decide which left back to use at 2pm instead of 4.15.

9 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

After Earle got sent off at Accy last year AND gave a penalty away, I wasn't sure that rule still existed.

Its about going for the ball isn't it? Didn't see the penalty but guess Crellin made an attempt to go for the ball. Earl last season pulled someone back so not seen as an attempt to get the ball. 

Double jeopardy only comes into play if the ref deems the challenge to be a genuine attempt to get the ball. If the ref feels the player is making no attempt for the ball he should still give a penalty and a red card.

Crellin was lucky not to have been sent off.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I and a few others thought Ricketts was a good shout, as well as IE.  He's not looking too clever now either, Shrews on their worst run for 3.5 years.  Vela, who tried to get sent off against us a few weeks ago, managed it today in the first half with "an ugly challenge, straight red".  His career has gone right off the rails.

You are making more rational points after a defeat than after a win! Like you I thought Rickets would have been a good choice. It just goes to show that as fans our opinion is bluff and bluster. We’re emotionally involved. After an horrific defeat like that I understand why fans will fly off the handle and demand IEs head and throw out a whole load of suggestions as to what would have made it better.

The truth is a win (which looks fictional after a result like today) would have everybody back on side and looking back on today as a blip and part of a learning curve if IE/the players address some of the issues with today’s defeat. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Dimron said:

Should have played ugly and parked the bus from the whistle

Their management must have lashed out a tenner for the last couple of matches, and told the strikers to shoot on sight.  Three goals from outside the area ? If they had shot like AC last week we would have been reet.

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

The free kicks are rash, and nervous, some of the stuff is his bread and butter and he knows he should be doing better.

If you pull him out what does that do to his confidence?

Pen Save against Bradford I thought it would do him a world of good, then he saves another and I thought right he’s turning a corner mentally but the simple stuff he’s not getting right. 

Decision making wise he's Jordan Pickford on speed, too many rash charges out to balls that aren't his to get. First half, Santos had to take it away from him and clear it as he wasn't going to get there. Dropped a fairly simple high ball at their lad's feet early on. Pen save on Tues was good but two other aberrations could have cost goals. 

It's not all about him having said that, just a relationship that isn't working for all concerned, back five could do without him behind them, he could do with more solid, reliable customers in front of him. 

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, desperado said:

You are making more rational points after a defeat than after a win! Like you I thought Rickets would have been a good choice. It just goes to show that as fans our opinion is bluff and bluster. We’re emotionally involved. After an horrific defeat like that I understand why fans will fly off the handle and demand IEs head and throw out a whole load of suggestions as to what would have made it better.

The truth is a win (which looks fictional after a result like today) would have everybody back on side and looking back on today as a blip and part of a learning curve if IE/the players address some of the issues with today’s defeat. 

IE has a lot more work on to get fans back on board after today's debacle. Crellin in goal and/or no keeper on the bench against Mansfield & I'll be convinced we have another Freedman on ours hands. 

I'm hoping he gets it right as I can see what he wants to achieve but results must come first & then he will get the time to instil his philosophy. Pragmatism is the watchword for now. 

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

Decision making wise he's Jordan Pickford on speed, too many rash charges out to balls that aren't his to get. First half, Santos had to take it away from him and clear it as he wasn't going to get there. Dropped a fairly simple high ball at their lad's feet early on. Pen save on Tues was good but two other aberrations could have cost goals. 

It's not all about him having said that, just a relationship that isn't working for all concerned, back five could do without him behind them, he could do with more solid, reliable customers in front of him. 

I'm with you on most points but tbf he didn't actually have too much to do today but he makes such a mess of most situations that it feels like we are under constant bombardment. 

I feel sorry for the lad. Too much too soon not ready. A massive risk from Evatt to install such an inexperienced loan signing as first choice without any obvious back up. Doesnt say much for his or Gilks judgement either. How he deals with this could be make or break for him here now.

32 minutes ago, Kane57 said:

Vela was a whopper from day one, he just benefitted from the white tinted specs that so many of our recent 'heroes' have managed - the likes of Wheater, Madine etc.

Utter shithouses devoid of any real talent, and a fanbase desperate to feel a connection to someone, anyone with even a sniff of personality was given the benefit of the doubt to disregard the almost complete lack of footballing talent as we slid down the leagues with barely a whimper.

Tremendous 

12 minutes ago, desperado said:

Yes, course we dont really know, but then again neither do the people appointing them (not just talking about BW, most clubs the same).  Like us, they go off a few results in the preceding 6 or 12 months, and how they sound at interview (in our case, when interviewed in the media).  So of course Evatt, Ricketts and Ryan Lowe sounded like good bets.  At the moment only 1 of those is having a decent season, but we hope that changes.  If we were shopping in a different market we could go for nailed on, proven seasoned managers like Gary Rowett, Neil Harris, Gareth Ainsorth and now I'd say Michael Appleton (Millwall punching well above their weight getting Harris and Rowett consecutively; Holloway and Jackett weren't bad either).  John Coleman doesnt sound like the worst option we could have gone for in hindsight, especially given that he plays good football alongside good results.

52 minutes ago, Kane57 said:

Vela was a whopper from day one, he just benefitted from the white tinted specs that so many of our recent 'heroes' have managed - the likes of Wheater, Madine etc.

Utter shithouses devoid of any real talent, and a fanbase desperate to feel a connection to someone, anyone with even a sniff of personality was given the benefit of the doubt to disregard the almost complete lack of footballing talent as we slid down the leagues with barely a whimper.

True that.