Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cancer

Dr Faustus

It's a cunt isn't it? A mate of mine just passed away, 40, just married, two kids... Don't get me wrong, he lived a life as teenager, but matured better than most - certainly better than I did. 

Are we ever gonna cure 'it', wherever, whatever it may be? 

I knew he was poorly, but thought I passed him on the school run a week ago. 

It’s a right cunt, for sure. My dad died from it, my step mum had it, step dad has had it twice my mother in law currently has it.

As Birch says, the detection systems and treatment are improving all the time (as is awareness of lifestyle choices eg smoking) and I’m grateful for all the care that the NHS has provided for my family so that three of those four are still here today. 

Cunt of a disease, particularly in the young, lost my Mum to it in 96 from ovarian cancer still pisses me off that regular screening would have picked it up earlier and with removal of ovaries she could have been here today. Anyhow mate of mine started a successful charity few years back all money donated goes to research. If anyone wants to donate. 

https://charity-soul.co.uk/shop

Edited by Mounts Kipper

7 hours ago, Dr Faustus said:

It's a cunt isn't it? A mate of mine just passed away, 40, just married, two kids... Don't get me wrong, he lived a life as teenager, but matured better than most - certainly better than I did. 

Are we ever gonna cure 'it', wherever, whatever it may be? 

Sorry to hear that mate

With regards to "are we going to cure it" - I know a bloke who works for The Institute for Cancer Research, he's quite a clever chap and is some sort of doctor/scientist type. I once asked him how long realistically until we have a cure for cancer, his answer was...... Never, as the term "cancer" covers hundreds and hundreds of different diseases, and each person's cancer is slightly different to another person's, as its cell specific.

He thinks we'll learn to treat it and spot it better, but he also thinks over time (as in hundreds of years) higher and higher numbers/percentages of people will actually get some form of cancer.

That's cheery isn't it

• Members
6 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Cunt of a disease, particularly in the young, lost my Mum to it in 96 from ovarian cancer still pisses me off that regular screening would have picked it up earlier and with removal of ovaries she could have been here today. Anyhow mate of mine started a successful charity few years back all money donated goes to research. If anyone wants to donate. 

https://charity-soul.co.uk/shop

One of the reasons why they need more funding for better research in how they can detect things. 
Some nice things on there will have a buy later. 

4 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Sorry to hear that mate

With regards to "are we going to cure it" - I know a bloke who works for The Institute for Cancer Research, he's quite a clever chap and is some sort of doctor/scientist type. I once asked him how long realistically until we have a cure for cancer, his answer was...... Never, as the term "cancer" covers hundreds and hundreds of different diseases, and each person's cancer is slightly different to another person's, as its cell specific.

He thinks we'll learn to treat it and spot it better, but he also thinks over time (as in hundreds of years) higher and higher numbers/percentages of people will actually get some form of cancer.

That's cheery isn't it

The older we all live on average the more our cells replicate over a lifetime, giving a greater chance that a cell mutates into a cancer 

Lifestyle choices like smoking and sunbathing mean your lung cells and skin cells replicate much faster so you your increasing your chances of a mutation earlier in life 

Then you’ve got genetic coding that puts you at a greater risk of a mutation 

Just a case of finding them early and developing better treatments 

• Site Supporter

It’s wank. Took my mum back in April but only at the 3rd attempt.

In all honesty, we can’t live forever so something has to get us. If we cured everything that can kill us we’d have a real problem on our hands.

The treatment my mum had was world class, and all free. The NHS could have done no more and the people were remarkable.

I think we the focus needs to be on treatments and early detection. Give people a chance at survival for longer.

The worst is when it gets people under the age of 70. Derain House is a reminder of cancer at its most evil.

• Members
Just now, ErnestTurnip said:

If I had to put a bet on I'd say there'd be a fair few on here who have swerved having their prostate checked even though they're at that age. Makes no sense to me.

And some posters check each other’s on a weekly basis 

4 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Ask my doctor 3 times he’s refused every time. 

It's funny you should say that, I went with pain in that area thinking because of my age my doctor would probably check it and I even mentioned it but he didn't entertain it. Prescribed a stretching video on youtube instead.

Edited by ErnestTurnip

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

It's funny you should say that, I went with pain in that area thinking because of my age my doctor would probably check it and I even mentioned it but he didn't entertain it. Prescribed a stretching video on youtube instead.

I’ve watched loads of those 

Belladonna doesn’t even has a prostate so it’s good of her to do the instructional videos regardless

11 minutes ago, gonzo said:

My mum was a cancer nurse for 40 odd years. Worked at the hospice, marie curie and Brian House the kids unit. Think 40 plus years of seeing greif and trauma is why shes actually fucking mad 🤣

How they work in that Enviroment I don’t know, utmost respect to those who do. 👏👏👏

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter

Mate of mine got a cyst just on the outside of his anus. It turned into an anal fissure  where, rather than just erupt as a spot, it goes inwards and opens up in your anal cavity. That’s where your real problems start as the opening up your arse allows faecal matter to enter your bloodstream. 
These cysts start off as an ingrown hair. Be warned.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Mate of mine got a cyst just on the outside of his anus. It turned into an anal fissure  where, rather than just erupt as a spot, it goes inwards and opens up in your anal cavity. That’s where your real problems start as the opening up your arse allows faecal matter to enter your bloodstream. 
These cysts start off as an ingrown hair. Be warned.

Fucking hell fire