Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Goalkeeper Situation

desperado

• Site Supporter

With the acknowledgment that this has now become an issue it deserves a thread of its own.

For me the biggest problem IE has now with Crellin/the goalkeeper position  (and it can be argued that he has added fuel to this one) is that of how he handles it from a personal perspective. As fans all we want to see is a keeper in goal who is confident, not making too many errors and showing progress.  Let’s be honest the majority of us don’t give a stuff if Crellin is dropped and how this affects him mentally as long as Bolton win.

Of course IE wants this too, but he also has the delicate situation of handling how BC is as a person, what’s best for him, regardless of whether  he still sees him as a keeper who has a bwfc future. It’s a balancing act. 

Because of IE outburst post Cambridge we’re in the unusual position, as fans, of knowing some of the managers true feelings about his keeper. We know he has doubts about him, he is well aware of the errors that he is making, but we also know he still has faith in his ability to become a good keeper at a professional level. 

So with this in mind what does he do this week? As a fan playing football manager on the computer, looking at his performances and stats I’m saying drop him Tuesday give Alexander/Gilks a go. 

But putting myself in IEs shoes I’m not sure that course of action is correct, especially if he still sees BC as having a bwfc future. It’s a risk, but if he wants to demonstrate  the faith he has in him, provide him with a confidence boost to bring the best out of him, he selects him Tuesday but IMO tells him regardless of how he plays he’ll be rested and out of the limelight for 10 days while he gives Alexander a chance in the cup game. That way he’s keeping all options open, including looking at free transfers/making room in the squad for a keeper back up.

The one liners; drop him, sack him, send him back to Fleetwood, shouldn’t put on a bwfc shirt again are easy soundbites. How he manages this situation and when he chooses to drop him/rest him/motivate him/find another keeper, will not only make a difference to a young players mental state/motivation but will also influence how this position affects our season. 

• Site Supporter

I think he’ll play against Mansfield but then ‘rested’ for the cup game in the hope either Gilks or Alexander play a blinder.

i bet Evatt can’t wait until January kicks in and he can replace him. Unfortunately, we’ll continue to concede far too often to trouble the leaders while he’s here

I don't think he was evatts first choice over the summer, wasn't Blackman in the hotel waiting to sign but was too expensive. At the moment the lad just doesn't look very good and that doesn't install confidence in the defence. I think Biggish Dave has it right, play him on Tuesday and then let one of the others have a go against Crewe. 

My worry now is Mansfield on Tuesday we need to win this as atm we are in the  bottom of the table and this is a must win and with Crellin in goal I fear the worst Mansfield will shoot from any distance knowing he is going to mess up at least once in the game we cannot afford another loss.

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

I think he’ll play against Mansfield but then ‘rested’ for the cup game in the hope either Gilks or Alexander play a blinder.

Was thinking exactly the same. Might not be much scope for chopping and changing in the cup match but would be amazed if Crellin starts that game.

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’m not interested in his mental state, he gets picked on performances, he’s a pro footballer, he’s not performing so I’d drop him..... that’s of course if we have an alternative, which I’m not sure we have. 

That’s the problem; we don’t have ONE keeper who is good enough

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Any other position he’d be dropped 

Exactly.  We're making too big a thing of changing keeper.  Nobody is talking about Baptiste or Tutte's mental state when getting dragged off at H/T, or Taft moving up north and just going on coach journeys to watch the team struggle.  Many teams swap their keepers about during a season, its not irreversible, at the moment its for 1 game only.  From IEs point of view he needs to focus on how important the Mansfield game is, we could be 3rd bottom for 11 days or just below halfway, he can only afford to think of what is going to give him the best chance of a result right now.

1 hour ago, Spider said:

No offence to the lad, but his mental state of mind needs addressing away from the football pitch.

He deserves any and all help, but the squad and club are bigger than one lad having a tough time.

Agreed, interestingly IE's post match outburst about having to 'man up' were addressed in a podcast, and I have to say I agree with what they said. Its poor man management at best, stupid at worst and I just thought I'm not sure this bloke is ready to lead a club like ours. He's already out of his depth, you can see that from his interviews. The keeper isn't the real issue here.

Agree Crellin should be 'rested' but not keen on another inexperienced keeper taking his place.

Is Gilks up to it ? It's only short term but I have no idea if he is fit enough.

Might settle our defence a bit knowing an experienced head is behind them

Do I think Evatt will drop Crellin,  no I don't but it's a blind spot that might cost him his job.We can all see the obvious & so can FV.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

We're making too big a thing of changing keeper

It was partly a post from you that got me thinking along these lines. You claimed that picking Crellin and losing Tuesday, could make his job untenable. 

So is it too big of a thing to be discussing and debating?

Even without that wild claim (which I think you’ve since rescinded), the controversy that surrounded IEs post match Cambridge comments, the importance of such a position, the arguable lack of options to replace him, the debatable decision as to whether Tuesday/Saturday is the time to replace him, makes this a more relevant and important discussion than whether Taft should be selected Tuesday and how he’s feeling about not being in the team.

1 of every 2 shots is a goal against. 

Over 2-3 games that is an aberration, over 10 games it needs to be addressed immediately. 

3 goals conceded yesterday from outside the box. Opposition will adopt a shoot on sight policy as well as just tossing in hopeful crosses as he flaps at them.

has to be replaced

40 minutes ago, desperado said:

It was partly a post from you that got me thinking along these lines. You claimed that picking Crellin and losing Tuesday, could make his job untenable. 

So is it too big of a thing to be discussing and debating?

Even without that wild claim (which I think you’ve since rescinded), the controversy that surrounded IEs post match Cambridge comments, the importance of such a position, the arguable lack of options to replace him, the debatable decision as to whether Tuesday/Saturday is the time to replace him, makes this a more relevant and important discussion than whether Taft should be selected Tuesday and how he’s feeling about not being in the team.

I'm not saying its not up for debate, for me any BWFC topic is up for debate whether its who the goalie is or what colour the socks should be.  My point was meant to be that we're talking about it as if its really significant to change the keeper, as against any other position.  Taft and Greenidge had 1 or 2 dodgy games, and were dropped, and havent been seen again upto now.  They weren't treated with kid gloves (no pun intended), worrying about the impact on them personally, they were just left out for a spell.  That's what IE should be doing with Crellin, no drama, just 1 squad player having a rest while he concentrates on practise and training and comes back better hopefully.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm not saying its not up for debate, for me any BWFC topic is up for debate whether its who the goalie is or what colour the socks should be.  My point was meant to be that we're talking about it as if its really significant to change the keeper, as against any other position.  Taft and Greenidge had 1 or 2 dodgy games, and were dropped, and havent been seen again upto now.  They weren't treated with kid gloves (no pun intended), worrying about the impact on them personally, they were just left out for a spell.  That's what IE should be doing with Crellin, no drama, just 1 squad player having a rest while he concentrates on practise and training and comes back better hopefully.

But that’s just it. IE/Press have made it a drama because of his comments and  because of the obvious direct impact this has on the team getting results. The same can’t be said for other players/positions