Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Goalkeeper Situation

desperado

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

As young kids go Alexander deemed to cope better with the step up last season than Crellin has done this season 

If not Gilkes 

Or an out of contract professional Goalkeeper 

Crellin should be sent back to Fleetwood immediately 

Dear Mr Barton,

We recently got this keeper from EBAY. On opening the package it wasn’t immediately obvious that it wasn’t fit for purpose. In relatively few uses, it has become more and more obvious that you’ve sent something that:

A - Isn’t as described.

B - Isn’t fit for purpose.

This goes against EBAY rules and we would like you to send a return label.

I understand that I may need to pay for the return and accept this.

Failure to respond to this will result in me escalating the issue via PayPal.

yours,

Ian Evatt

3 hours ago, MickyD said:

Dear Mr Barton,

We recently got this keeper from EBAY. On opening the package it wasn’t immediately obvious that it wasn’t fit for purpose. In relatively few uses, it has become more and more obvious that you’ve sent something that:

A - Isn’t as described.

B - Isn’t fit for purpose.

This goes against EBAY rules and we would like you to send a return label.

I understand that I may need to pay for the return and accept this.

Failure to respond to this will result in me escalating the issue via PayPal.

yours,

Ian Evatt

I'm thinking more along the lines of...

Dear Joey,

That keeper you loaned us is fucking shite- we're sending him back.

Cheers,

Ian Evatt

p.s- you scouse cunt

Fellas/Gals, I know it’s just banter but I’d appreciate it if u showed a bit of restraint n respect when discussing BC, he may /may not not be good enough for L2 but he’s our player and calling him billy c**tt** or calamity is out of order. He’s a young lad just making his way, please remember that, thanks

19 minutes ago, Ruba Mustafa said:

Fellas/Gals, I know it’s just banter but I’d appreciate it if u showed a bit of restraint n respect when discussing BC, he may /may not not be good enough for L2 but he’s our player and calling him billy c**tt** or calamity is out of order. He’s a young lad just making his way, please remember that, thanks

Agreed with that.  He's a young lad who isn't good enough, unfortunately.  Nothing wrong with pointing this out IMO, but grown men calling him names is a bit embarrassing really.

On 09/11/2020 at 11:04, birch-chorley said:

As young kids go Alexander deemed to cope better with the step up last season than Crellin has done this season 

If not Gilkes 

Or an out of contract professional Goalkeeper 

Crellin should be sent back to Fleetwood immediately 

3rd option for me and agree Crellin should not play for us again

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Ruba Mustafa said:

Does Billy Crellin post on here?

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, DazBob said:

Shouldn't matter.

He isn’t the first pro-player to suffer the wrath of Wanderersways posters and it’s likely he won’t be the last. Many of us know of lads who didn’t make the grade despite (in our opinion) them being good players. In Crellin, (again a matter of opinion) we have a player who has made the grade and we actually wonder why or how. Most lads on here who have played at a decent amateur level, or even for a pub in a local league claim to have played in front of keepers with better positional sense, better shot-stopping ability and better distribution than the lad who has been chosen to represent our club; a club that deserves much better. 
Fans have been critical of players for as long as I can remember. The only thing that’s changed since the 7s is where it’s said. This isn’t trying to condone the name calling, popadom hands, etc., but I think we’re kidding ourselves if criticism of a player isn’t allowed.

6 hours ago, Ruba Mustafa said:

He isn't our player though which makes the situation even more bizarre

• Site Supporter
On 09/11/2020 at 10:20, Whitesince63 said:

The problem is that Evatt has backed himself into a corner over Crellin because he can’t replace him with Alexander the way he’s ignored him so far and he can’t realistically trust Gilks to be properly ready. It wouldn’t surprise me for him to retain Crellin on Friday but with his own credibility now firmly on the line, any more mistakes could be fatal for both.

Gilks is big enough, loud enough and daft enough. He should be capable of commanding our defence. It might even convince our defence that perhaps they are not as clueless as they seem.

He must be able to see he will be called upon sooner or later and going off recent defending it is going to be sooner.

1 hour ago, Mr Grey said:

Both will get pelters, if Evatt considers playing him I would be very surprised. Casper ain't a keeper, he cant catch a ball if a player is within 10ft of him.

Anyway, Dazbob loves him 😃

Ha, not at all. I don't think he's anywhere near ready/good enough for league football at present.

Anyway, go on, why do you refer to him as Casper?

1 hour ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

If he plays and drops another clanger it’s evatt who should get pelters

i agree. I actually feel sorry for Crellin. and i think Dazbob is spot on. nowt wrong with commenting on his performance but personal name calling is out of order no need to be vicious/nasty like pack of hyenas.  JSL

Evatt caused it Evatt needs to sort it

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, snowball said:

i agree. I actually feel sorry for Crellin. and i think Dazbob is spot on. nowt wrong with commenting on his performance but personal name calling is out of order no need to be vicious/nasty like pack of hyenas.  JSL

Evatt caused it Evatt needs to sort it

I agree with this. I said right from the beginning Evatt has exacerbated a problem here.

For me the recruitment, tactics, selections, formations and substitutions are to an extent forgivable and understandable, if you are of the opinion that this project needs time.

However the man-management of calling out players, publicly criticising,  using old school motivation tactics of telling players to man up (ok he apologised for this) is perceptive as being a bully-boy. Fine if it works and it brings out the best in players. You could argue that Santos, Sarcevic and Delaney have come out better from his man-management tactics.

But I hope he realises not everyone will respond in the same way. Players,  while understanding a private bollocking, generally don’t like the public criticism. It’s stuff like this that can bring out the worst in some players and lose the dressing room.

I’m not saying he’s there yet. You could argue that a few late goals have actually demonstrated a togetherness, I hope so. I’m also hoping that he is learning along the way too. 

He has a job to do on the pitch, yes drop Crellin, yes address all the selection /tactics issues that can turn our season around.

But the job off the pitch, in how he manages/motivates his players is just as important and will directly affect what happens on the pitch. 

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Billy Casper, character from the film 'Kes' he goes in the nets, I'm sure you have seen the films football clip.

You've educated me.  I thought it was referencing Casper the Friendly Ghost because of the way the ball seems to pass straight through him. 

Right, I guess I'm on my own here... 

I cringed when Gilks twatted that first pass. He made a good save look like a worldie. If our head coach is prepared to sacrifice his philosophy for the cameras is he a Mike Bassett type genius? 

I'll take the points and 'bragging rites', but bigger picture, this isn't gonna happen every week