Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

The Goalkeeper Situation

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jesus fucking wept. There isn't a single negative to take from Gilks' performance last night. We played for 90 minutes without a glaring goalkeeping error, something I can't remember happening so

Crellins heads gone, yes he's a professional player but beleive me the harder he'll try the worse it'll get for him at the moment, he'll be in the club houses after games embarrassed and ashamed I can

according to a mutual friend, BC doesnt think he'll play for us again... could well be bollocks 

Gilks, with all his experience could surely solve the things that we are lacking with in the GK department, leadership, handling crosses and doing the basics.

Maybe Gilks isn't as physically fit as the younger lads and maybe his reflexes and ball control and distribution aren't as up to scratch as they were when he was younger but would like to think he'd be up to League 2 standard and could at least do the basics right. 

I don't think it's fair to pin all the blame on Crellin for where we're at - defence has been sloppy but is improving, midfield not dynamic enough but is improving, strikers not involved enough and now injured too - but he's certainly showing himself to be a weak link and that stat about 48% of shots on goal resulting in a goal is terrifying.

Needs must, Crellin must be dropped. Not arsed if we go with Alexander instead but Evatt has to try something else. 2 penalty saves are great but watching back him giving away the penalty, he wasnt even close to getting the ball (yes baptiste was at fault too but he's separate issue) and he had that clanger where he dropped the ball which almost ended up in our net, among a myriad of other howlers he's made.

Edited by Mantra

In my world goalies need to be brave and command the defence. Should not be worried about coming out and taking one, the odd flattened nose and broken tooth is part of the job... that leads to an older ugly git, the young athletic keepers are too concerned about looking good on faceboook.

One thing with Gilks that hasn’t been mentioned. Evatt’s game relies on playing out from the back, and therefore the keeper being good with his feet - is Gilks capable or is he an old school, wait for it to go out of play and kick it as far as you can type?

I’d rather he started on Tuesday, because ultimately I want my keeper to stop shots and catch crosses, but I don’t think Evatt will see it that way.

• Members
29 minutes ago, Eddie said:

One thing with Gilks that hasn’t been mentioned. Evatt’s game relies on playing out from the back, and therefore the keeper being good with his feet - is Gilks capable or is he an old school, wait for it to go out of play and kick it as far as you can type?

I’d rather he started on Tuesday, because ultimately I want my keeper to stop shots and catch crosses, but I don’t think Evatt will see it that way.

I’d take a ‘kick as far as you can’ keeper. At least that way the first shit touch is in the opposition half.

• Members

Worryingly, during the Orient game, the commentator made the observation that Gilkes was away from the technical area and speaking directly to Crellin on two separate occasions during the game.

Have we ever before seen the GK coach counselling a keeper during a game?

3 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Worryingly, during the Orient game, the commentator made the observation that Gilkes was away from the technical area and speaking directly to Crellin on two separate occasions during the game.

Have we ever before seen the GK coach counselling a keeper during a game?

Yes

Last season

• Members

If Crellin had been red carded yesterday and we’d had to put an outfield player I don’t think the result would have been as bad as it was. Obviously the level of expectation would change but I think so also would the remaining outfield players play up a bit to protect the non-keeper.

Maybe we ought to worry that they haven’t recognised that we’re already playing with a non-keeper.

Not sure if it’s not a bit nieve if not reckless playing without a sub goalie.

crellin could easily have been sent off within a minute yesterday and then what ?

dont really think one less outfield sub is a problem is it ?

Edited by marple whites

Crellins heads gone, yes he's a professional player but beleive me the harder he'll try the worse it'll get for him at the moment, he'll be in the club houses after games embarrassed and ashamed I can guarantee it. Unfortunately he needs resting for at least till the New Year so he can re set himself. This will probably hurt him but I think its best for him, Ian Evatt and BWFC

• Members

Whatever way this pans out it will look as though it’s all down to Crellin when it’s probably more likely to do with Gilkes and the way he trains keepers. Crellin has got as far as playing for a big team in div4. You’d think his flaws would’ve manifested way before he got here.

9 hours ago, MickyD said:

Whatever way this pans out it will look as though it’s all down to Crellin when it’s probably more likely to do with Gilkes and the way he trains keepers. Crellin has got as far as playing for a big team in div4. You’d think his flaws would’ve manifested way before he got here.

If any coach has taught Crellin that positioning for the free kick they should be sacked 

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

If any coach has taught Crellin that positioning for the free kick they should be sacked 

BC and I have a mutual friend, and I told just that. He was nowhere near them, and it's either inexperience or poor coaching... His starting position all wrong and not impressed with his wall. 

13 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

BC and I have a mutual friend, and I told just that. He was nowhere near them, and it's either inexperience or poor coaching... His starting position all wrong and not impressed with his wall. 

I refuse to accept it’s a coach. There’s no way he’s passing his qualifications if that’s how he’s coached a keeper, let alone a former keeper ffs 😂

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

If a keeper has got far enough to make it to the pro game, he should already know himself how to set up a wall and position to take.  Shouldn't need a coach to tell him.

55 minutes ago, gregbwfc said:

If a keeper has got far enough to make it to the pro game, he should already know himself how to set up a wall and position to take.  Shouldn't need a coach to tell him.

Keepers are idiots. They need reminding 

13 hours ago, Ands1 said:

Crellins heads gone, yes he's a professional player but beleive me the harder he'll try the worse it'll get for him at the moment, he'll be in the club houses after games embarrassed and ashamed I can guarantee it. Unfortunately he needs resting for at least till the New Year so he can re set himself. This will probably hurt him but I think its best for him, Ian Evatt and BWFC

Send him back to Fleetwood.  Gilks can go in the sticks if he not good enough get rid. No sentiment in lge 2

1 hour ago, hughmungus said:

Manuel Neuer would look shit behind this lot, add to that Evatts idiotic coaching tactical nouse and its a recipe for disaster no matter who is in goal.

He really wouldn’t. What a ridiculous statement