Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

The Goalkeeper Situation

1 minute ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

If he plays and drops another clanger it’s evatt who should get pelters

Both will get pelters, if Evatt considers playing him I would be very surprised. Casper ain't a keeper, he cant catch a ball if a player is within 10ft of him.

Anyway, Dazbob loves him 😃

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jesus fucking wept. There isn't a single negative to take from Gilks' performance last night. We played for 90 minutes without a glaring goalkeeping error, something I can't remember happening so

Crellins heads gone, yes he's a professional player but beleive me the harder he'll try the worse it'll get for him at the moment, he'll be in the club houses after games embarrassed and ashamed I can

according to a mutual friend, BC doesnt think he'll play for us again... could well be bollocks 

On 09/11/2020 at 10:20, Whitesince63 said:

The problem is that Evatt has backed himself into a corner over Crellin because he can’t replace him with Alexander the way he’s ignored him so far and he can’t realistically trust Gilks to be properly ready. It wouldn’t surprise me for him to retain Crellin on Friday but with his own credibility now firmly on the line, any more mistakes could be fatal for both.

Gilks is big enough, loud enough and daft enough. He should be capable of commanding our defence. It might even convince our defence that perhaps they are not as clueless as they seem.

He must be able to see he will be called upon sooner or later and going off recent defending it is going to be sooner.

1 hour ago, Mr Grey said:

Both will get pelters, if Evatt considers playing him I would be very surprised. Casper ain't a keeper, he cant catch a ball if a player is within 10ft of him.

Anyway, Dazbob loves him 😃

Ha, not at all. I don't think he's anywhere near ready/good enough for league football at present.

Anyway, go on, why do you refer to him as Casper?

1 hour ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

If he plays and drops another clanger it’s evatt who should get pelters

i agree. I actually feel sorry for Crellin. and i think Dazbob is spot on. nowt wrong with commenting on his performance but personal name calling is out of order no need to be vicious/nasty like pack of hyenas.  JSL

Evatt caused it Evatt needs to sort it

4 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Ha, not at all. I don't think he's anywhere near ready/good enough for league football at present.

Anyway, go on, why do you refer to him as Casper?

Billy Casper, character from the film 'Kes' he goes in the nets, I'm sure you have seen the films football clip.

21 minutes ago, snowball said:

i agree. I actually feel sorry for Crellin. and i think Dazbob is spot on. nowt wrong with commenting on his performance but personal name calling is out of order no need to be vicious/nasty like pack of hyenas.  JSL

Evatt caused it Evatt needs to sort it

I agree with this. I said right from the beginning Evatt has exacerbated a problem here.

For me the recruitment, tactics, selections, formations and substitutions are to an extent forgivable and understandable, if you are of the opinion that this project needs time.

However the man-management of calling out players, publicly criticising,  using old school motivation tactics of telling players to man up (ok he apologised for this) is perceptive as being a bully-boy. Fine if it works and it brings out the best in players. You could argue that Santos, Sarcevic and Delaney have come out better from his man-management tactics.

But I hope he realises not everyone will respond in the same way. Players,  while understanding a private bollocking, generally don’t like the public criticism. It’s stuff like this that can bring out the worst in some players and lose the dressing room.

I’m not saying he’s there yet. You could argue that a few late goals have actually demonstrated a togetherness, I hope so. I’m also hoping that he is learning along the way too. 

He has a job to do on the pitch, yes drop Crellin, yes address all the selection /tactics issues that can turn our season around.

But the job off the pitch, in how he manages/motivates his players is just as important and will directly affect what happens on the pitch. 

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Billy Casper, character from the film 'Kes' he goes in the nets, I'm sure you have seen the films football clip.

You've educated me.  I thought it was referencing Casper the Friendly Ghost because of the way the ball seems to pass straight through him. 

12 hours ago, MickyD said:

You've educated me.  I thought it was referencing Casper the Friendly Ghost because of the way the ball seems to pass straight through him. 

I thought he was referencing Steve McLaren's pet snake 🐍🐍🐍

Right, I guess I'm on my own here... 

I cringed when Gilks twatted that first pass. He made a good save look like a worldie. If our head coach is prepared to sacrifice his philosophy for the cameras is he a Mike Bassett type genius? 

I'll take the points and 'bragging rites', but bigger picture, this isn't gonna happen every week

15 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

I cringed when Gilks twatted that first pass. He made a good save look like a worldie. If our head coach is prepared to sacrifice his philosophy for the cameras is he a Mike Bassett type genius? 

I'll take the points and 'bragging rites', but bigger picture, this isn't gonna happen every week

Thing is, if we are thinking positive, this could be a turning point. Good changes tonight, including keeper change. You’re right it might not happen every week, but it’s a big improvement. And the fact that it happened against those plastic wannabee Mancs makes the night even sweeter 

3 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

No doubt, I'm not suggesting a keeper shouldnt be organised and commanding, but to have a style of play that is abolished by a change of personnel? Would've been nice to see everyone singing from the same song sheet

I think we can still play out from the back with Gilks in net, but Salford pressed high on goal kicks, not every team will do that.

1 minute ago, Mantra said:

I think we can still play out from the back with Gilks in net, but Salford pressed high on goal kicks, not every team will do that.

What we are going to have to do with Gilks in goal, is if we don’t win the the first ball long, then win win the second ball. 

1 minute ago, desperado said:

What we are going to have to do with Gilks in goal, is if we don’t win the the first ball long, then win win the second ball. 

I have no issue with that and hopefully Evatt doesn't. Possession football shouldn't have to start from our own box. I think we'd benefit from not playing out from the back until we're more comfortable with possession in general.

1 hour ago, Dr Faustus said:

I get it. But does in not show he is flexible? Was there a massive goalkeeping fuck up tonight? No. When's the last time you could say that?

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't?

Had to change keeper, chose the experienced over over the inexperienced Alexander. It is what it is. Defence looked more assured knowing a proper keeper was behind them.