Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The 2020 USA Presidential election

Rudy

13 minutes ago, Rudy said:

They might have to fly the chair to him but I see your point 

just wire him up to a generator at the airport, nice and easy. It'll mean that as he doesn't take the flight he's paid for, he'll be helping reduce carbon emissions slightly, just before he pops off

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

What law? That's the issue, there is no laws governing social media other than their own rules. 

They are NOT culpable for what their users write, did you see Zuckerberg in front of the senetae committee, this is the issue.

Last summer, all large media companies stopped using Facebook advertising for a short time due to its lack of policy around race hate. Again all independently done, FB issued a statement about working on this issue and the media company's jumped back on. As a friend of mine said, it was the toughest few weeks as where would the spend go, especially when trad media and OOH are being given away as no one is watching/our of their homes.

They are monopolies, they are beholden to none but themselves. The eco system that they feed is built on sand, but without them thousands of businesses would be fucked, again which is why the gvts don't step in. This is unhealthy. 

As I say, Trump has done one good thing, his dragged this issue directly into the mainstream and now there will have to be action.

No laws governing social media?

If someone goes on Facebook and threatens to kill someone, stalks them, racially abuses someone, defrauds themetc etc they can be charged and convicted for that offence.

If such acts are part of a wider group say, making ongoing threats, then Facebook have a responsibility to close that down, as whoever it is, are not only breaking Facebook users rules but UK law as well.

Twitter cant turn a blind eye to users on its platform breaking the law, any more than this site can,can it?

There is a real fine line here. On the one hand of course they need to deal with what happened last week. 
On the other they have to avoid fanning the flames that caused last week. 
No idea context of the clip above but unless the guy has been formally charged and travel restrictions imposed is it right to stop him flying ? Equally if they do let him fly and he does something crazy what are the consequences ? 

A real fucking mess. 

1 minute ago, Ani said:

There is a real fine line here. On the one hand of course they need to deal with what happened last week. 
On the other they have to avoid fanning the flames that caused last week. 
No idea context of the clip above but unless the guy has been formally charged and travel restrictions imposed is it right to stop him flying ? Equally if they do let him fly and he does something crazy what are the consequences ? 

A real fucking mess. 

From what I can gather he's got through security as he's not on a criminal no fly list but the individual airline has said he can't fly on their plane due to him being a potential terror threat. Hence why he's having his tantrum rather than being arrested.

• Members
7 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I just read that he got thrown off for refusing to wear a mask, nothing to do with the attack on the Capitol Building.

Hang on a minute? Twitter isn't a legitimate news source with on the ball fact checkers?

I’ll just stick to the daily sport 

52 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

No laws governing social media?

If someone goes on Facebook and threatens to kill someone, stalks them, racially abuses someone, defrauds themetc etc they can be charged and convicted for that offence.

If such acts are part of a wider group say, making ongoing threats, then Facebook have a responsibility to close that down, as whoever it is, are not only breaking Facebook users rules but UK law as well.

Twitter cant turn a blind eye to users on its platform breaking the law, any more than this site can,can it?

Exactly the point.....

The individual can get in trouble, there are no specific regualtion for the companies themselves, and they themsleves cannot distance themsleves by saying, 'oh its just a platform'. Every form of media has regualtion - print, OOH, linear TV, everything. Social media does not, and it has more power then all of them currently. It was only last month Ofcom was confirmed as the UKs regualtor for SM with the power to fine. Last month! Dec 2020. I mean, let that sink in. The platforms HAVE to take some responsibility, not just for the content, but for their overall business model and the openess to outside influence. 

Twitter/FB/Tick Toc can turn a blind eye, as they won't get in trouble. The only reason they act is to stop people moving away from the platforms because they think they are culpable. It is a PR move to keep people on the platform. Social media is only as valueable as the amount of users it has, if people stop using Twitter because of Trump, the platform will condem it. Don't believe this is an altrusitic act. It is a commercial imperative. 

Social media platforms have washed their hands of responsibility in a way no other companies can. Even last month the UK started on further accountability for the firms https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-leads-the-way-in-a-new-age-of-accountability-for-social-media

And to go back to the original point as feeling uncomfortable about Trump getting banned, its not becasue I agree with Trump but that free speech should not fall under the remit of tech companies, rather than a country's own legislation voted on by elected representatives who are accountable to us, rather than shareholders.

44 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Exactly the point.....

The individual can get in trouble, there are no specific regualtion for the companies themselves, and they themsleves cannot distance themsleves by saying, 'oh its just a platform'. Every form of media has regualtion - print, OOH, linear TV, everything. Social media does not, and it has more power then all of them currently. It was only last month Ofcom was confirmed as the UKs regualtor for SM with the power to fine. Last month! Dec 2020. I mean, let that sink in. The platforms HAVE to take some responsibility, not just for the content, but for their overall business model and the openess to outside influence. 

Twitter/FB/Tick Toc can turn a blind eye, as they won't get in trouble. The only reason they act is to stop people moving away from the platforms because they think they are culpable. It is a PR move to keep people on the platform. Social media is only as valueable as the amount of users it has, if people stop using Twitter because of Trump, the platform will condem it. Don't believe this is an altrusitic act. It is a commercial imperative. 

Social media platforms have washed their hands of responsibility in a way no other companies can. Even last month the UK started on further accountability for the firms https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-leads-the-way-in-a-new-age-of-accountability-for-social-media

And to go back to the original point as feeling uncomfortable about Trump getting banned, its not becasue I agree with Trump but that free speech should not fall under the remit of tech companies, rather than a country's own legislation voted on by elected representatives who are accountable to us, rather than shareholders.

It's not a free speech issue, it's a monopoly of the market issue.

Facebook, Twitter, etc. are within their rights to remove anyone they want from their platforms because they are private companies. However, the problem is that it's less that they dominate the market and more that they are the market.

Ditto Google Play / Apple's App Store.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Hang on a minute? Twitter isn't a legitimate news source with on the ball fact checkers?

I’ll just stick to the daily sport 

Bet he wore a mask whilst attacking federal buildings.

34 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

It's not a free speech issue, it's a monopoly of the market issue.

Facebook, Twitter, etc. are within their rights to remove anyone they want from their platforms because they are private companies. However, the problem is that it's less that they dominate the market and more that they are the market.

Ditto Google Play / Apple's App Store.

Again, thats the issue as the two are inextricably linked because of what the platforms do. To say it's one and not the other misunderstands the premise on what the regulation issues rest on.

Although you are right, regulation isn't the end answer, less monopolies are key (have a look at the article I posted)

be funny when joeb does exactly what trump has been threatening for years and breaks up google and the likes , and goes one step further and forces everyone on the US version of chinas weibo or whatever. 

"oops weve locked your facebook account, to prove youre you send a hi res scan of your passport to GOVbook.com and we'll migrate the stuff over. "

its only about one step away from what facebook asks for now. 

Edited by e2e4
typo

9 minutes ago, jmjhb said:

Fuck, I didn't know thing were that serious. Anybody know what time Sunday/Monday, as I've got stuff to do, and ideally if this happens, then I don't need to do any preparation for my meetings, which will be a right result

5 minutes ago, e2e4 said:

be funny when joeb does exactly what trump has been threatening for years and breaks up google and the likes , and goes one step further and forces everyone on the US version of chinas weibo or whatever. 

"oops weve locked your facebook account, to prove youre you send a hi res scan of your passport to GOVbook.com and we'll migrate the stuff over. "

its only about one step away from what facebook asks for now. 

Parler, the last bastion of Freedom™, was asking for Social Security numbers

6 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Fuck, I didn't know thing were that serious. Anybody know what time Sunday/Monday, as I've got stuff to do, and ideally if this happens, then I don't need to do any preparation for my meetings, which will be a right result

Depends where you are in the world silly.