Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The 2020 USA Presidential election

Rudy

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I find the presidency a bit odd for the same reasons I find the royal family a bit odd. 

But at least the the royal family can't go around arbitrarily pardoning folk or starting wars.

And it least you get the chance to vote a president out every 4 years.

Didn’t that bloke who attacked the terrorists on London Bridge get a royal pardon?

Either way, used sparingly, and for the right ethical reasons I think fair play.

Assumed clemency was as good as a pardon but every days a school day 😊

5 minutes ago, Spider said:

Didn’t that bloke who attacked the terrorists on London Bridge get a royal pardon?

Either way, used sparingly, and for the right ethical reasons I think fair play.

Certainly is for you 😉 

Regarding the US Presidency, maybe @Rudy can answer this......is there a reason why they can only stay in office for two terms? - if somebody is doing a cracking job, why would they not be allowed to a 3rd term?

My thinking comes from the fact that previously, surely if the Democrats had be able to put Obama up against Trump, then they'd have pissed it.

I'm wondering if there is actually a reason for only 2 terms, or is it just "the rules" and nobody knows why they're in place

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Regarding the US Presidency, maybe @Rudy can answer this......is there a reason why they can only stay in office for two terms? - if somebody is doing a cracking job, why would they not be allowed to a 3rd term?

My thinking comes from the fact that previously, surely if the Democrats had be able to put Obama up against Trump, then they'd have pissed it.

I'm wondering if there is actually a reason for only 2 terms, or is it just "the rules" and nobody knows why they're in place

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

31 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Nah that’s acts of clemency. He pardoned 200 and was in charge for 8 years. It’s pretty low considering. 

Usually because of changes in law, example someone serving 25 years for a non violent crime but violent crimes can do less, if the person has been an upstanding prisoner then he’d be eligible for clemency, reducing his sentence partially or fully.

They would still be an ex convict 

Pardon means they basically have their conviction wiped. 

Without checking i imagine Obama has one of the lowest pardon numbers 

This is only up to November 2020 pal, all the figures of all the Presidents. Was shocked with how few Trump has done, sure he will make up for it by tomorrow.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/11/24/so-far-trump-has-granted-clemency-less-frequently-than-any-president-in-modern-history/

4 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

This is only up to November 2020 pal, all the figures of all the Presidents. Was shocked with how few Trump has done, sure he will make up for it by tomorrow.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/11/24/so-far-trump-has-granted-clemency-less-frequently-than-any-president-in-modern-history/

The interesting (of sorts) thing about that, is how many requests were made of each President 

For some reason Obama seems to have received more requests than Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, W Bush & Trump combined. As a percentage of those granted, he's the second lowest ever though.

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Certainly is for you 😉 

Adaptability and constant learning is why humanity has made its way to the top of the evolutionary tree my good man.

Once you stop learning, you're as good as dead. Or an ape.

Those who let on that they know everything, invariably don't.

In all things, be humble.

• Members
23 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

It’s been the recent trend with republicans presidents. Not sure why 

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Yeah but 2000 of the bastards???

• Members
1 hour ago, Sweep said:

The interesting (of sorts) thing about that, is how many requests were made of each President 

For some reason Obama seems to have received more requests than Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, W Bush & Trump combined. As a percentage of those granted, he's the second lowest ever though.

Black/Hispanic prisoners 

1 hour ago, Nowack said:

It would be interesting to see who has given most to close friends and associates.

That is why the DOJ as a department for pardons, they would under normal circumstances (every other president) vet all pardons and give the yea or nay on them, Trump as just fucked them off and gone on his merry way.

Also remember to accept a pardon is also to accept guilt for that crime (if you have been pardoned before a court case). So it can be a bit off a double edged sword

One the subject of Trump supporters we have to be careful and not go all Gary Megson and say they are all rabid lunatics. His current approval rate is about 33%, after the Capitol riots. So that is a lot of people still thinking he has done some good.  
Even after last 4 years he got over 70m votes, although some would be voting party rather person. 
The fact a large number of senior Republicans have pandered to him as President will be something they have to reconcile with themselves. 
Going to be a crazy and dangerous time in the US in coming months and will be the sensible people on the right that will have a role to play to debunk the conspiracy stories that are going round.

• Members
19 minutes ago, Ani said:

One the subject of Trump supporters we have to be careful and not go all Gary Megson and say they are all rabid lunatics. His current approval rate is about 33%, after the Capitol riots. So that is a lot of people still thinking he has done some good.  
Even after last 4 years he got over 70m votes, although some would be voting party rather person. 
The fact a large number of senior Republicans have pandered to him as President will be something they have to reconcile with themselves. 
Going to be a crazy and dangerous time in the US in coming months and will be the sensible people on the right that will have a role to play to debunk the conspiracy stories that are going round.

That’s exceptionally low. And even lower considering it’s dropped from nearly 48% from Obama and he did a second term.

George Bush had a low second term but he also had a War. 

20 minutes ago, Spider said:

This time tomorrow, he'll just be another fat fucker in america playing golf.

His legacy will be dogshit. Orange dogshit.

Probably true, and over time when the dust settles, the ordinary voting public of the US will distance themselves from him, in 10 or 20 years, you'll probably struggle to find anybody who will admit to having voted for him.

It'll be interesting to see what he does from now on, as I'm sure he can make an incredible amount of money touring the world, and telling people how he was robbed. He'll become like an orange version of David Icke, where people will happily pay good money just to laugh at him and his insane ramblings

4 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

I hear that Dominion are going after the Trump campaign lot for saying their systems cheated Mr Wotsit from winning. Big money litigation, whoops!

There was a lawyer on the TV last night and he was musing when the first bit of litigation will arrive on Trumps doorstep, he thought it would be soon

On 17/01/2021 at 13:02, miamiwhite said:

Aaah, I never said they started a riot though did I ?

Check out the actions and words of Waters 😉 

Thank god neither of us are like this in the pub 😄  

No dear. Your exact words were "as vile as those encouraged by the democrats to do similar in cities in the summer". 

So you can picky about the word encourage or start. We all know what you're getting it & you've provided no evidence to prove they 'encouraged' anything. So we'll leave it there then? 😉

When Trump's merry mob of rednecks stormed the Whitehouse I think his words were - "we love you, now go home" . 😆

There's no comparison mate. There's lots of divisions to heal, but the US will be a calmer more rational place without him.