Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Black Dog

Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

'Kin ell back with a vengence

Not a "what's up hun?" Mumsnet post.

Not going to throw the towel in now or ever but it's hard at times.

Then again you dance with crocodiles and when the music stops...

You'd better not throw the towel in. Lots of us can empathise, many of us have 'come out' on here on various threads, so feel free to message anyone if it might help.

I get a visit from the dog around September every year, this year no exception. Levelling off a bit now thankfully. 

• Site Supporter

Talk to people.

sounds shit and over simplified but honestly, just chatting about fuck all to someone can lift a bit of the load.

When I’m having a tough time at work, especially with being home most of the time, I find just a few conversations can lift the gloom.

Dont ring me, I’m a cunt, but there’ll be people out there.

Failing that, paying for sex with a glassy-eyed prostitute can lighten the physical load. (I don’t know that, but Nothing ventured...)

• Site Supporter

Are you getting out Youri, a walk for example?

By the time I've come back with the hounds each morning, my mood has improved. 

Apparently (autumn watch info) the smell of earth or cut grass somehow mimics serotonin, and improves mood. Get into some leaf strewn woodland and kick some about.

Thanks lads.

TMGJ might relate more - probably due to my past lifestyle had about four seizures since June - knocked a front tooth out in one 😀 when I became compus I searched everywhere - found it and stuck it in...

I'm on levetiracetam now and not so clever

Nah - I'd never chuck in the towel.

This place I love it

Just now, Youri McAnespie said:

Usually help my mate out at his allotment have a laugh a barbeque incinerate sausages...

This levetiracetam -mindfuck

See if he needs owt doing TMGJ and i can attest to the mind clearing power of some heavy horticulture. Chop some logs, dig some holes really helps shut the black dog up.

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Thanks lads.

TMGJ might relate more - probably due to my past lifestyle had about four seizures since June - knocked a front tooth out in one 😀 when I became compus I searched everywhere - found it and stuck it in...

This place I love it

Seizures themselves can bring on depression. 

Have you had eeg and what were results?

Had my first in 96, and to be honest, despite the eeg throwing up an anomaly, I wasn't diagnosed with epilepsy as such and wasn't prescribed any medication. 

Just advice as to having sufficient sleep, and avoiding particularly heavy nights.

Years later when I had another, same anomaly after another eeg, different attitude.

You're epileptic, take this that and the other.

Ffs, went down a worm hole there. Been diagnosed with depression months after my dad's death, then thrust into a world of inappropriate medication by an individual who's command of English was so poor that I was being treated as a recovering alcoholic.

Took a couple of really senior docs and cbt to get somewhere back, but it does happen.

Not heard of your meds, but if you're not right, get back to your gp or neurologist.

They're still there, irrespective of covid, so make sure you use them. Take a loved one with you too, as they sometimes are more honest than we are when talking to the doc.

Edit: I was put on topiramate for seizures whilst being depressed. It says in big letters on the packet "may cause depression" or similar. Had 2 and wanted to drive into a fucking wall.

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Seizures themselves can bring on depression. 

Have you had eeg and what were results?

Had my first in 96, and to be honest, despite the eeg throwing up an anomaly, I wasn't diagnosed with epilepsy as such and wasn't prescribed any medication. 

Just advice as to having sufficient sleep, and avoiding particularly heavy nights.

Years later when I had another, same anomaly after another eeg, different attitude.

Your epileptic, take this that and the other.

Ffs, went down a worm hole there. Been diagnosed with depression months after my dad's death, then thrust into a world of inappropriate medication by an individual who's command of English was so poor that I was being treated as a recovering alcoholic.

Took a couple of really senior docs and cbt to get somewhere back, but it does happen.

Not heard of your meds, but if you're not right, get back to your gp or neurologist.

They're still there, irrespective of covid, so make sure you use them. Take a loved one with you too, as they sometimes are more honest than we are when talking to the doc.

My ex (think Shakira but fitter - I am g/l's Brad Pitt) she had it and it was pretty much chucking a dart regarding her meds...

Had a brain scan last xmas - they found one.

Anyway what can you do - I know you lads have my back and I already feel better just for talking.

Thanks lads - if I don't reply I'm probably going for chips and gravy or on some brass site.

Hope you are OK Youri, I don't know you as well as the others but it's a tough time for many. Headspace app is popular if you haven't tried it. Be honest about your feelings with those closest to you and they will help. I find occupying myself with something, anything helps. Whether it's playing guitar, a video game, watching a TV show or writing your opinions on this forum. Try and keep your mind busy with something good and not busy with thoughts.

I've just started having big anxiety for the first time in my life and had to reach out to the doctors for help after some convincing from close ones. These things are horrible and invisible which can make it even harder but all we can do is try and cope and see it through to the other side. Stay safe and hope you feel better soon.

Always welcome over this way mate, the fresh sea air works wonders for the old noggin and certainly helps to blow the cobwebs off.

Stay off the ale no matter how bad it gets. That shite only makes things worse.

Weve got you bro x

1 hour ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Thanks lads.

This place I love it

I remember lev being launched as a drug in epilepsy. It was a bit of a game changer but it can be a bit of a fucker early doors. If you can cope with the side effects and power through it can change your life (for the best). If it’s too much then shout loudly and get them to change it

The black dog is a very common friend in folk having seizures. Some of the drugs to treat epilepsy are also used as mood enhancers so you can sometimes get a double hit from them. Again, don’t be shy to ask or even shout loudly about it and demand change. Neurologists can be conservative twats (that’s a small c for any lurking commies) so you need to be demanding. You should rule your treatment not them

Best of luck

2 hours ago, leigh white said:

I thought the Black Dog pub in Belmont was shutting for good with the opening title.

Me to. 😂 

anyhow hope those suffering get help and recover, my tip is exercise regularly, get in the sun even if it’s shining through your front room window, cut back or completely stop drinking alcohol and most importantly talk to friends and family and try to have a laugh. Good luck to all suffering. xx