Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

David Lee

barryk32

7 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Lee had the academy players playing some decent football, and that was in the Parky era, seems a strange decision considering Evatts football philosophy, a coach who probably believes in the same way of how the game should be played, he's crying out for a coach, we have one, why not use him ?

Some on here don't seem to like him, not sure why, past behaviour ? wanting the job himself ?... and all during a shit period for our club and an influx of crap managers, yet Lee has remained pretty loyal, seems a proper decent bloke and has shown some ambition in wanting to be the manager, it doesn't warrant a reaction of good riddance and fuck off, imo anyway.

For once, and it hurt to say it, I find myself agreeing with Mr Grey. Wasn’t there a story going around at the height of Utd’s success that Lee turned down an offer from Warren Joyce to be his number 2 at their academy, but he wanted to stay with us as he had a good crop of young players.

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

Surely they'll be snapped up by top clubs immediately, given their high calibre?

Aye given the outcry on twitter I think Real Madrid could well come in for David Lee.

Spooner is already on his way to take charge of Brazil under 23's.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

I suppose the timing wasn't great, but I had no issue with him wanting the job considering the shit the club was in, he probably thought he had a good chance considering the good job he had done with the academy kids. 

Aye, but he was touting for it while Parky was still the manager. I know Parky was hard work but fucking hell, imagine what the atmosphere must have been like at the training ground after that interview.

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

I suppose the timing wasn't great, but I had no issue with him wanting the job considering the shit the club was in, he probably thought he had a good chance considering the good job he had done with the academy kids. 

What is this good job he did with the academy kids that I keep hearing about 🤷🏻‍♀️

2 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

The academy Lee trained were at the top of their league or near abouts whilst he was there, yeah it's only an academy league that clubs also use to get senior players fit alongside the kids, but overall Lee did well, he had them U21 playing good football, he was the coach, it's what he did, and in that sense he succeeded, don't get me wrong I wasn't touting him for manager, but after Parkinson it couldn't have done no harm and considering the perilous position the club was in, he certainly couldn't have done any worse than Hill.

The jobs to produce players to benefit the first team either by playing or raising finances. Not winning shit leagues.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, gonzo said:

The jobs to produce players to benefit the first team either by playing or raising finances. Not winning shit leagues.

Exactly. He was average and people love him because he was a decent player. 
Good decision to get rid and move on.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, gonzo said:

True. They weren't really given an opportunity by Parkinson though, so we'll never really know. Fwiw, I'm not so sure they'd have impressed, but having seen the way the played and how the first team played that would have been no surprise. Chalk and cheese.

3 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

Sentimentality? Nothing to do with sentimentality. Young players coming into such a historic club benefit from contact with players who’ve been there and done it and these guys have. Not just that but they’ve been successful in their roles and maybe if they’d been trusted a bit more instead of the likes of Parkinson and Evatt, we might not be facing losing our league status?

Agreed.  I'm not in the "let's get Nolan or Brownie as manager" camp but I agree there is something to be said for having some real BWFC presence in the camp.  Aside from their abilities as coach, it was reassuring to have the like of Darby, Lee, Phillips, Kelly at the club, you know they would represent and sell the club in the right way.  Instead we will just have employees that will be here today gone tomorrow and whether its right or wrong, its a sad development for me.  I am struggling to think of anyone at the club in any capacity that would lose any sleep if we were relegated and/or went out of business, they would just move on to their next job. 

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Agreed.  I'm not in the "let's get Nolan or Brownie as manager" camp but I agree there is something to be said for having some real BWFC presence in the camp.  Aside from their abilities as coach, it was reassuring to have the like of Darby, Lee, Phillips, Kelly at the club, you know they would represent and sell the club in the right way.  Instead we will just have employees that will be here today gone tomorrow and whether its right or wrong, its a sad development for me.  I am struggling to think of anyone at the club in any capacity that would lose any sleep if we were relegated and/or went out of business, they would just move on to their next job. 

Er, one of the main shareholders who helped prevent the club from being liquidated???

Edited by Steejay

• Members
5 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

You can’t know many coaches then. No matter who the employer is, coaches put so much hard work, dedication and make so many sacrifices whether it’s their club or not. They are sportsmen who just have a desire to win and See lads who they coach do well. 

I don’t buy into this keeping BWFC former players as coaches because they used to play for us they might not be good enough, hard enough finding good coaches nowadays anyways. If there are better coaches out there then we move on. We don’t owe anyone a career

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

True. They weren't really given an opportunity by Parkinson though, so we'll never really know. Fwiw, I'm not so sure they'd have impressed, but having seen the way the played and how the first team played that would have been no surprise. Chalk and cheese.

Have they gone on to progress elsewhere?

Whilst it's nice to have staff with connections to the clubs history the facts remain we needed to save money and make improvements.

Had the club been churning out players to sell on and keep money coming in then I'd be questioning the decision. There's only 3 players in the Prem that have come through the wanderers academy, Holding and Basham, sold for a grand total of £3m and Phillips who was let go by his own dad.

3 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Whilst it's nice to have staff with connections to the clubs history the facts remain we needed to save money and make improvements.

Had the club been churning out players to sell on and keep money coming in then I'd be questioning the decision. There's only 3 players in the Prem that have come through the wanderers academy, Holding and Basham, sold for a grand total of £3m and Phillips who was let go by his own dad.

There's 4 at Prem clubs which aint a bad return really.

Name another 4th division club with 4 of their ex academy lads in the prem.

41 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

There's 4 at Prem clubs which aint a bad return really.

Name another 4th division club with 4 of their ex academy lads in the prem.

Do other 4th division clubs bother with academies? - I really wouldn't have a clue