Name The Ground

Zico

24 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Played 'em 4 times that season:

34k for league at home

44k for Cup at theirs

31k for replay at ours

50k for the league game there

The replay, a night match in mid January was the fecking coldest night I can recall. Absolutely freezing. ... & it went to extra time iirc.

2 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

The replay, a night match in mid January was the fecking coldest night I can recall. Absolutely freezing. ... & it went to extra time iirc.

Unbelievable that there were 31k for the cup replay - previous home game was a defeat to bottom of table Burnley.

And bearing in mind the 1st cup game was all of 3 days later, so nobody knew the match was happening in advance.  And no reduced prices for cup games in them days.

An abiding memory of the night matches I went to that season (Leeds, Burnley, Spurs) was how amazing the away team's yellow shirts looked under the lights, magical at the time.  Leeds was my 1st ever night match - I assumed it was like that all the time, but it turned out to be the 2nd biggest crowd I ever saw for a BW home game, highest was Fulham promotion game same season.

10 hours ago, embankment said:

Got removed from their twice before kickoff.

Went back in for a third time.

But in the stand.

God - football was cheap in those days.

Cop on the gate at supposed away section. 

"Right lads what river flows through Bolton "

Spurs likely lads standing around, copped the question. 

In we go , 20 mins later carnage. No fences , I bail onto the pitch. " get back in there , " eff off , first eviction.  Pay to get in again.

Bolton numbers have increased, it kicks off again , this time we had the numbers. Coppers come in mob handed , this time they drag me over .

Around 15 marched out again .

Match result , think we lost 1-0

Heard some rum stories about that away match. By some accounts the tube ride to Seven Sisters was a feisty affair.

On 20/01/2021 at 11:54, SatanGreavsie said:

Played 'em 4 times that season:

34k for league at home

44k for Cup at theirs

31k for replay at ours

50k for the league game there

The league game at Spurs was a top of the table clash. I was a student and travelled from Bolton with my mates (5 of us in a Ford Cortina). We got there early and stood with lots of other Wanderers fans in the  Park Lane End. It is hard to think of stadiums without segregation, it was obvious early on that there was a number of Spurs fans in the end. They wore different clothes / fashions / haircuts for a start. It kicked off several times, nothing serious. I remember whenever there was any trouble all you had to do was basically do nothing. People who wanted a fight , would fight among themselves, if you showed no interest and stood your ground nobody seemed to bother you. Well that was my theory, on how to deal with terrace trouble in the 70's and early 80's. It didn't work when missiles were thrown, but they seemed to arrive when segregation fences went up !

I was impressed with the Shelf, it  was packed and noisy. It was always unusual to see a "home end" on the side of the stadium !!! Who'd have thought a few years later the "Wanderers End " would be the Burnden Paddock, which in then moved to the Reebok / Macron / Unibol

Here's a copy and paste from a Spurs website  ....   http://www.mehstg.com/boltonmatch.htm

This crunch Division 2 meeting was moved to kick off at 2.45 p.m. to avoid the FA Cup semi-final between Ipswich Town and West Bromwich Albion at Highbury.  While Tottenham were looking for an immediate return to the top flight, Bolton had been climbing back up after sinking to Division Three. 

The biggest White Hart Lane crowd for three years witnessed a tense affair with both clubs on 51 points, but Spurs on top courtesy of a better goal difference.  It was a single goal from a familiar face to Bolton fans that won the game, with Don McAllister, signed from Burnden Park three years previously, who dived in to head home Glenn Hoddle's flick on to John Pratt's corner in the 35th minute to beat Jim McDonagh in goal.

There was a threat to the lead when the ball hit the Spurs net in the 71st minute, but Neil Whatmore was ruled offside by the linesman after the referee had given the goal initially.

Spurs -  Daines, G. Armstrong, Holmes, McAllister, Perryman, Hoddle, Pratt, McNab, C. Lee (Moores), Chris Jones, P. Taylor
Unused sub. : - 
Bolton Wanderers -   
McDonagh, P. Jones, Dunne, Walsh, Allardyce, Greaves, Morgan, Whatmore, Train, Reid, Worthington

Attendance : - 50,097
Ref. : - Alf Grey (Norfolk)

Attendance : - 50,097
Ref. : - Alf Grey (Norfolk)