Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Christmas f**king Christmas...

Youri McAnespie

8 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

I’m looking forward to Christmas Day.  This is the first Christmas on my own, I’ll be watching Christmas films, Wonderful Life etc whilst chilling out and remembering the times i watched them with my brothers, sisters and parents as a kid.  Sounds rather sad that doesn’t it, but I think it’s pretty cool 😎.   No prezzies need be bought, all my nephews n nieces are in their 30s/40s, life is good.

Wankfest in a Santa hat!

• Site Supporter

Not a big fan of it. Busy as anything both sides of Christmas, lost loads of workdays to sorting out COVID this year so will be busier than normal this time.

I don’t even drink too much, I’m too knackered. I do have a few scoops every day though.

The weather is shit, it’s dark and cold.

I’ll cheer up in April.

• Moderators
On 06/11/2020 at 20:47, Boby Brno said:

This is usually my busiest time of the year but I’m shut. IF I open on the 3rd of December, I could potentially have to cram 7 weeks demand into 3. I’m not looking forward to it. 
Grasping, if that’s the right word for it, pays my mortgage and my taxes. Whatever is left over, allows us the little luxuries in life. 
Anyone can opt out. It’s not compulsory.

You're into framing right? Is that the sort of thing where you could stay open in terms of taking orders and delivering, or is it not so straightforward? Don't get me wrong, I'm certain you know how to run your own business, just wondering what options there are

Just now, ZicoKelly said:

You're into framing right? Is that the sort of thing where you could stay open in terms of taking orders and delivering, or is it not so straightforward? Don't get me wrong, I'm certain you know how to run your own business, just wondering what options there are

Unfortunately, most of my customers come into the shop and we discuss how it should be done and choice of frame etc. If I still had my four biggest customers, I could close the shop and carry on but I’ve had nothing from BWFC, Lancashire CCC or the 2 event organisers that I supply since the first lockdown. Rishi has kept me going though although I’m still down on my normal income, especially now.

My point was that although Christmas has become commercial, it’s also the most important part of the retail year for many businesses, large or small. It would be nice if it could be spread out more though. More should be like NIC.

15 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

Unfortunately, most of my customers come into the shop and we discuss how it should be done and choice of frame etc. If I still had my four biggest customers, I could close the shop and carry on but I’ve had nothing from BWFC, Lancashire CCC or the 2 event organisers that I supply since the first lockdown. Rishi has kept me going though although I’m still down on my normal income, especially now.

My point was that although Christmas has become commercial, it’s also the most important part of the retail year for many businesses, large or small. It would be nice if it could be spread out more though. More should be like NIC.

I worry about the retail sector, was talking to a lass in Tiger last weekend (the youngest is obsessed with those Surprise bags - and she gives half of the stuff away!) so many people rely on the longer opening, the double shifts and the sales to see them through this period. Furlough isn't going to make up the shortfall for many.

We wrapped up the stuff for the kids stockings yesterday, 90% of the stuff was bought in the Jan sales, so many amazing bargains. Also all our wrapping paper was bought in the sales - 25p a roll in Jan. Its not difficult stuff, I'm like most blokes, leave it late but my other half has shown me how much you save by buying throughout the year, and like most I like saving money.

23 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I worry about the retail sector, was talking to a lass in Tiger last weekend (the youngest is obsessed with those Surprise bags - and she gives half of the stuff away!) so many people rely on the longer opening, the double shifts and the sales to see them through this period. Furlough isn't going to make up the shortfall for many.

We wrapped up the stuff for the kids stockings yesterday, 90% of the stuff was bought in the Jan sales, so many amazing bargains. Also all our wrapping paper was bought in the sales - 25p a roll in Jan. Its not difficult stuff, I'm like most blokes, leave it late but my other half has shown me how much you save by buying throughout the year, and like most I like saving money.

My wife does this. Starts shopping in Jan for the following Xmas. 
Buys stuff every month and by about now, we're pretty much done. We'll pick some last few bits up in the inevitable end of the month sales (Black Friday etc, although all Fridays matter)

I could never get my head around it, but the way this year has panned out for us financially, it has been a godsend.

1 hour ago, Traf said:

My wife does this. Starts shopping in Jan for the following Xmas. 
Buys stuff every month and by about now, we're pretty much done. We'll pick some last few bits up in the inevitable end of the month sales (Black Friday etc, although all Fridays matter)

I could never get my head around it, but the way this year has panned out for us financially, it has been a godsend.

Me neither, used to moan all the time about it but thus year I've really seen the benefit. Yes we save a bit back for the sale days but then its done. Not stupid these ladies.

If I recall correctly an NSPCC advert years ago featured a child actress saying all she wanted for Christmas was "not to be punched anymore"

Now I wouldn't dream anyone on here has punched their children.

But what a gift to give - a guarantee that you won't give an overhand right to them.

Cost - zero.

On 06/11/2020 at 20:25, Youri McAnespie said:

Watching the idiot box and, whilst fireworks are literally going off in reality they're banging on about Christmas already on adverts...

Fucking grasping twats.

Fuck off.

And Asda - I'll be in my cold grave before I shop with you again - wankers.

As someone who’s worked with large retailers, I can confirm with that without exception they’re a greedy set of cunts. 

Being tight-fisted and childless - not from being a jaffa (I think). A Christmas tradition was daytime 24th piss-up then off to Bolton Market to offer a derisory amount, say £6 for a tree that was selling for about £25 a day before.

Went into Hampsons - being half cut I'd hoyed the tree back, asked for some mince pies - the girl clocked the tree and said "it's a bit late for Christmas innit?" I bit my tongue, then said "no - it's Christmas Eve today"...

I can be festive as fuck 24th to New Years Day - before that? Gtf.

50 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Another tradition when I've not had a 'bird' was to simply get a crate of wifebeater on Christmas Eve - small cognac bottle and put the telly on and resurface on Boxing Day - maybe for a tin of corned beef, milk etc.

Hope you're ok mate and things are looking up now ?

Praying you're not alone at Christmas,  if you are, you are more than welcome to come to mine for the day, genuine offer  👍