Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Salford, Friday the thirteenth

globaldiver

Everything has to be in context. If the football is just boring and predictable it’s not going to be very watchable. I’d site Parkinson here. Not once, win, lose, or draw did I come out of the UniBol, satisfied. In the end I voted with my feet and didn’t go, despite having a ST, because I wanted him out. Obviously you always want your team to win but there has to be more than just that to driving a 4 hour round trip to watch crap.

• Site Supporter
51 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Everything has to be in context. If the football is just boring and predictable it’s not going to be very watchable. I’d site Parkinson here. Not once, win, lose, or draw did I come out of the UniBol, satisfied. In the end I voted with my feet and didn’t go, despite having a ST, because I wanted him out. Obviously you always want your team to win but there has to be more than just that to driving a 4 hour round trip to watch crap.

My half hour e/w journey possibly means I am fine with watching a dire win and come home satisfied my team are 3 points closer to promotion/survival then.

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

My half hour e/w journey possibly means I am fine with watching a dire win and come home satisfied my team are 3 points closer to promotion/survival then.

Whatever turns you on Micky. Parkys rubbish was just monotonous and not even worth a 5 minute trip which is why gates fell. If the despicable one had binned him when we were promoted we probably wouldn’t be where we are now. Anyway that’s history and despite some results, the fare on offer is much more enjoyable and heading in the right direction.

1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

Whatever turns you on Micky. Parkys rubbish was just monotonous and not even worth a 5 minute trip which is why gates fell. If the despicable one had binned him when we were promoted we probably wouldn’t be where we are now. Anyway that’s history and despite some results, the fare on offer is much more enjoyable and heading in the right direction.

I find it hard to believe we wouldn't have ended up where we are now no matter who was in charge.

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

I get that. I didn’t say I enjoyed it, I said I came away happier with three points than with none, whatever the entertainment level.

As an aside, those 27-28k crowds during many of the Allardyce seasons. Obviously many were just top-flight fans and went just because they’d be entertained. Many others would have seen the rise and fall and rise again and fall and will be among those for whom it is about Bolton and result over style and entertainment. But there is another sub-group in between the two who will go when we start showing we can win enough to be pushing for promotion. The ones who’ll stand up when the glory days are back asking, “Where were you when we were shit?” pretending they were here the whole time.

16 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I get that. I didn’t say I enjoyed it, I said I came away happier with three points than with none, whatever the entertainment level.

As an aside, those 27-28k crowds during many of the Allardyce seasons. Obviously many were just top-flight fans and went just because they’d be entertained. Many others would have seen the rise and fall and rise again and fall and will be among those for whom it is about Bolton and result over style and entertainment. But there is another sub-group in between the two who will go when we start showing we can win enough to be pushing for promotion. The ones who’ll stand up when the glory days are back asking, “Where were you when we were shit?” pretending they were here the whole time.

Don’t disagree with any of that Micky and believe me I’ve been there through thick, thin and thinner for 60 years, from the end of Bill Ridding until today but at no time was I ever more dissatisfied than the Parky years. Had we had less of a scumbag owner I suspect Parkys reign would have been much shorter but sadly they were both here too long. Thankfully we’re through that now and whilst not out of the woods we can at least look forward to better times. It’s been pretty mixed this season but despite that I’ve not missed a kick, albeit on iFollow, but as soon as I can use my ST properly I’ll be backing the boys again.

Edited by Whitesince63

1 hour ago, masi 51 said:

The days of official crowds at Burnden Park 10,500 Then the was at least 15000 on.....Creative accounting

That included about 2,500 Forest too.  I remember at the time with it being on ITV, on a Sunday, the crowd was going to be less than expected.  Just checked crowds around that time and they were low - 8.2k v Oxford, 7.2k v Luton, 9.4 v Millwall, 7k v Posh, 7.5 v Palace and we weren't particularly struggling.

2 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

That included about 2,500 Forest too.  I remember at the time with it being on ITV, on a Sunday, the crowd was going to be less than expected.  Just checked crowds around that time and they were low - 8.2k v Oxford, 7.2k v Luton, 9.4 v Millwall, 7k v Posh, 7.5 v Palace and we weren't particularly struggling.

Wasnt that the game that Forest officially had half the Lever End for some reason??

• Site Supporter
On 15/11/2020 at 08:51, Andy Gee said:

I was only young and remember it being the first time I was properly in awe at an opposition player.

Collymore looked incredible to me that day. 

Edited by barryk32

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, barryk32 said:

I was only young and remember it being the first time I was properly in awe at an opposition player.

Collymore looked incredible to me that day. 

same when he played for us v Liverpool, scored a great solo goal at BP in 96 IIRC

two strikers from this era, for me, who had it all but never realised their full potential were Collymore and Duncan Ferguson

22 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

same when he played for us v Liverpool, scored a great solo goal at BP in 96 IIRC

two strikers from this era, for me, who had it all but never realised their full potential were Collymore and Duncan Ferguson

3 caps for England were all than Collymore managed, incredible really.

Just shows the level of good strikers we had in the Premier League at that time- Shearer, Sheringham, Fowler, Cole, Ferdinand, Collymore, Wright, Dublin and more. 

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, Naytch said:

3 caps for England were all than Collymore managed, incredible really.

Just shows the level of good strikers we had in the Premier League at that time- Shearer, Sheringham, Fowler, Cole, Ferdinand, Collymore, Wright, Dublin and more. 

For all that PL talent there was only the first two really ever looked capable

I reckon they would've have more appearances than the rest combined, and certainly more goals

Cole and Fowler in particular were toss for England

1 hour ago, ZicoKelly said:

For all that PL talent there was only the first two really ever looked capable

I reckon they would've have more appearances than the rest combined, and certainly more goals

Cole and Fowler in particular were toss for England

He was something else when he first came through at Liverpool though. One of the most natural finishers I've ever seen.