Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The new Nürburgring - Rishton Lane

Youri McAnespie

3 hours ago, MickyD said:

I went through a career where they taught me to drive cars, then lorries then lorries with blue lights on top. Since first passing my test in 1987 I’ve had a refresher course every 3 years which were all pass or fail. If you failed you’d get extra training before being allowed to drive to fires again.

This refresher system meant you didn’t have too much time to develop dangerous habits.

I now drive more sedentary vehicles in a funeral cortège which is a miles better speed to drive. A few days ago I was asked to take a new guy out because he’d never driven an automatic. Fuck me, what a shit driver! He decided there were two pedals, he had two feet therefore right foot = accelerator, left foot = brake. He also crossed his hands until he had nowhere to go. (I still use the ten to/ten past steering position.)  

Never once looked in side mirrors, indicated when nobody was there to be warned of your intentions, hit kerbs on left hand ends (we were in a stretch limousine. All make you, in the words of my old instructors, slack as a yak. 

Above post

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Dimron said:

Above post

Seen. Roadcraft (police driving manual) is the standard I strive for. 

The issue I have is that many folk think passing their driving test makes them a good driver and don’t do anything to further that standard when in fact the day they pass their test is their last danger-free drive.

I remember that a driver involved in an accident in their first year would accept full responsibility then in their second year it becomes the fault of the other driver.

The psychomotor in the brain is a weird thing and I used to see it kick in after about 10 hours of driving and I used to tap into this to get them through their test but after they had passed that hurdle I can only imagine how invincible they then viewed themselves.

Males in particular become macho "natural drivers" but as i say to them "What is natural about driving? Sitting in an upright  seat working 3 pedals with two feet, controlling the engine torque with your left hand whilst pointing the car with a  plastic wheel using your right hand"

Bring on driverless cars

• Site Supporter
51 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Males in particular become macho "natural drivers" but as i say to them "What is natural about driving? Sitting in an upright  seat working 3 pedals with two feet, controlling the engine torque with your left hand whilst pointing the car with a  plastic wheel using your right hand"

Bloody hell! You make it sound about as difficult as flying a helicopter! 🤣

Yet another f*cking cockend(s) on Rishton Lane.

Span out of Division Street like Jeremy bastard Clarkson and screwed it toward Green/Lever Edge lanes...

Going so fast couldn't even make out make/model.

Middle of the pissing road.

Any other cars emerging from the numerous side streets up that stretch of the lane would've been wiped out.

Pedestrians crossing over - ditto.

Disappointing that phrases like 'shit off a shovel' are being used in this thread - same week some poor woman was killed.

And the trial of another reckless cunt who murdered a nurse concluded.

Both will probably do a paltry amount of time.

On paper driving is impossible but there is a thing called the psychomotor in our brains which makes it all work.

Unfortunately on a safety aspect, psychomotor takes over car control and then leaves our cognitive side to take over and we  start believing we are invincible demi-gods... that is when it all starts going wibble and risks taken start being rewarded by survival and so on and on until WHAM, thank you and goodnight

• Site Supporter

Bloody hell, my Dad was talking to her on Thursday outside Greenhalgh’s on COR.

She used to play darts for the Howcroft. My brother is really upset, used to be good friends with her and played darts with her for many years.

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Dimron said:

On paper driving is impossible but there is a thing called the psychomotor in our brains which makes it all work.

Unfortunately on a safety aspect, psychomotor takes over car control and then leaves our cognitive side to take over and we  start believing we are invincible demi-gods... that is when it all starts going wibble and risks taken start being rewarded by survival and so on and on until WHAM, thank you and goodnight

Problem is, more often than not, the dickhead walks away unscathed whilst the innocent party comes off massively second best.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, crawshawbooth said:

Top Bolton boy Amir Khan managed to wrap his mercedes up on the M6  last night

serial bad driver

He's a very lucky lad that one. He was inches away from me on cnr a few years ago.

I was in a long wheel base council transit and he dived past and cut in front. A fraction of a second earlier and he'd have clipped the front end and likely spun round and maybe flipped over- my vehicle was significantly heavier than his and would have come off best.

Never learns and is lucky to still be on the road. 

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I don’t think he has the mental capacity to be anything other than a shit driver. He does, however, have the cash to employ a chauffeur and it’d be safer for all of us if he did. 

I don't think he has the mental capacity to realise what a shit driver he is and that his attitude towards driving is appalling. 

Yeah, it's always p*kis, you lot are right...

Go on the Bolton News site and read about the c*nt who's trial for killing a nurse ended last week.

I was nearly killed nipping to the chippy on foot last week by a white scrote doing sixty on Parkfield fucking Road.

It transcends; age, race, religion, class, sex, financial status etc.

Reckless wankers are reckless wankers.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Yeah, it's always p*kis, you lot are right...

Go on the Bolton News site and read about the c*nt who's trial for killing a nurse ended last week.

I was nearly killed nipping to the chippy on foot last week by a white scrote doing sixty on Parkfield fucking Road.

It transcends; age, race, religion, class, sex, financial status etc.

Reckless wankers are reckless wankers.

No one is disputing that.

Doesn't mean there isn't more wankerism in certain quarters.

• 2 weeks later...