Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The new Nürburgring - Rishton Lane

Youri McAnespie

5 minutes ago, tyldesley_white said:

A bit of both I would say, once it gets over a certain BHP then they cant have until they done another diving course. But you can really only do that with new cars, what about 2nd hand.

And you can't really restrict with mechanical means they just take them off, you really can't do it with the onboard computers because someone will just re-write it

And anyway you can't have too much horse power 🙂 , it's when you use it is really what matters

So you advocate regulation and restriction. 

Vehicles can be mechanically restricted. If it were law to tamper with such a device then maybe the existing use, cause and permit law would cover it. RTA 1988. Along with no insurance. 

How much time is actually saved by driving a journey at breakneck speed?

1 minute ago, Morizio said:

So you advocate regulation and restriction. 

Vehicles can be mechanically restricted. If it were law to tamper with such a device then maybe the existing use, cause and permit law would cover it. RTA 1988. Along with no insurance. 

How much time is actually saved by driving a journey at breakneck speed?

It illegal to drive over the speed limit but shit loads do, making it illegal to tamper those devices will make no difference some people will (as truck drives have done for years)

How much time is saved dont know dont care, I pick my places to go over the speed limit ... and I do

I dont race people not for the lack of trying from some, if I want race I will take mine to the drag strip ( you don't have many of those in the UK)

11 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

Insurance claims are always a good reflection of driving ability.

This gives a good insight. 
https://www.abi.org.uk/products-and-issues/choosing-the-right-insurance/motor-insurance/age-and-motor-insurance/

Stop people driving before the age of 30 and stop people driving at 70.

All ethnicities.

Lets not be too hasty. Would hate to deprive any 18 year old a trip up scout Road chippy. 

3 minutes ago, boogs said:

Lets not be too hasty. Would hate to deprive any 18 year old a trip up scout Road chippy. 

😊 Been there, done that etc. I remember taking a girl from Swinton when Bolton reserves were playing. Took her up there to see the floodlights. 
Point being is that insurances companies discriminate. They use common sense. Something that is lacking in every other form of life.

47 minutes ago, Morizio said:

A marvellous generalisation of younger folk😲

Where is the solution, regulate those selling to the dickheads or restrict what the dickheads can buy? Or something else?

Is it bollocks a generalisation of younger folk

Read my post again instead of just arguing for the sake of it to try to get a reaction

• Site Supporter

One of the main skills of driving isn’t how fast you can drive, it’s how quickly you can stop. One of the teachings as an advanced driver was all about where you’re looking while you’re driving. I reckon I’m looking at least 100 yards further up the road than my wife does. (And probably plenty of other drivers) The quicker you identify a hazard or something with the potential to become a hazard the more time you have to react in time.

11 minutes ago, MickyD said:

One of the main skills of driving isn’t how fast you can drive, it’s how quickly you can stop. One of the teachings as an advanced driver was all about where you’re looking while you’re driving. I reckon I’m looking at least 100 yards further up the road than my wife does. (And probably plenty of other drivers) The quicker you identify a hazard or something with the potential to become a hazard the more time you have to react in time.

I was taught by a friend who was ab Advanced driver ( his claim to fame was on his birthday he did his normal test in the morning and his advanced in the afternoon ) and he used to hammer home that exact fact, I did then and still do now look a long way down the road

• Members
32 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Anticipating braking in all conditions with every scenario is key 

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Anticipating braking in all conditions with every scenario is key 

Which is why driving in heavy rain or fog is so crap, especiallyon the motorway.  You can be the safest driver in the world but your fate is in the hands of cunts around you oblivious to the danger who haven't a clue.

9 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Is it bollocks a generalisation of younger folk

Read my post again instead of just arguing for the sake of it to try to get a reaction

A bit precious aren’t you 😂

You have made a generalisation but clearly not got the bollocks to admit it. 

10 hours ago, tyldesley_white said:

It illegal to drive over the speed limit but shit loads do, making it illegal to tamper those devices will make no difference some people will (as truck drives have done for years)

How much time is saved dont know dont care, I pick my places to go over the speed limit ... and I do

I dont race people not for the lack of trying from some, if I want race I will take mine to the drag strip ( you don't have many of those in the UK)

So from what you’ve put, I think you are advocating tougher enforcement. 

Maybe something to consider then the time saved but also how your body feels after driving erratically compared to calmly. 

11 hours ago, MickyD said:

Spot on

Information is priority, ie observation and hazard awareness

Then we move onto Position-Speed-Gear-Accelerator

I recommend everyone should have some refresher/advanced training... you will enjoy your driving more

• Site Supporter
51 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Spot on

Information is priority, ie observation and hazard awareness

Then we move onto Position-Speed-Gear-Accelerator

I recommend everyone should have some refresher/advanced training... you will enjoy your driving more

I went through a career where they taught me to drive cars, then lorries then lorries with blue lights on top. Since first passing my test in 1987 I’ve had a refresher course every 3 years which were all pass or fail. If you failed you’d get extra training before being allowed to drive to fires again.

This refresher system meant you didn’t have too much time to develop dangerous habits.

I now drive more sedentary vehicles in a funeral cortège which is a miles better speed to drive. A few days ago I was asked to take a new guy out because he’d never driven an automatic. Fuck me, what a shit driver! He decided there were two pedals, he had two feet therefore right foot = accelerator, left foot = brake. He also crossed his hands until he had nowhere to go. (I still use the ten to/ten past steering position.)  

Never once looked in side mirrors, indicated when nobody was there to be warned of your intentions, hit kerbs on left hand ends (we were in a stretch limousine. All make you, in the words of my old instructors, slack as a yak. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, MickyD said:

Never once looked in side mirrors, indicated when nobody was there to be warned of your intentions, hit kerbs on left hand ends (we were in a stretch limousine. All make you, in the words of my old instructors, slack as a yak. 

What's wrong with indicating?

I'd say not indicating is a bad habit to develop

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

What's wrong with indicating?

I'd say not indicating is a bad habit to develop

Nothing wrong with indicating but if you indicate when nobody else on the road who would benefit from your indication, whether they be other vehicles or pedestrians, are you really fully aware of your surroundings? I’d say not (and my instructors agreed with me)

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Nothing wrong with indicating but if you indicate when nobody else on the road who would benefit from your indication, whether they be other vehicles or pedestrians, are you really fully aware of your surroundings? I’d say not (and my instructors agreed with me)

Could be dark, you may not spot someone crossing the road you're about to turn into, or a cyclist coming the other way

A good driver displays caution, so should always indicate

1 minute ago, MickyD said:

A few years back my former employer put all employees who need to travel between sites on a defensive driving course. He instructor said exactly the same. 

I argued that surely indicating, even when not necessary, was a good habit to have. He argued the opposite, that it shouldn't be a habit and should be a thought process. Fair enough.

Anyway, that course was brilliant and has definitely helped me to avoid accidents where other drivers have done stupid things. It's all about looking for other drivers potentially putting YOU in danger and making sure you remove yourself from that equation. Just simple things like looking further ahead on a motorway and anticipating when folk will be looking to change lanes.

22 minutes ago, freds dad said:

Former Mayoress killed in the hit and run.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-54943559

I encountered two having a race up St Georges Road last Saturday night.One went up Chorley New Road at  80 mph and the other up Chorley Old Road at similar speed probably having a race to Horwich

• Members
1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

Sierra cosworth on wheeler dealers this morning. Beast 

Beauty of a car.

Also you cant impose restrictions on modifying performance of cars, there’s an entire industry made up for it. My RS would be one of the fastest road legal modded cars about but I was never a cunt driving it, never had a speeding ticket, never had a fault claim, I don’t break speed limits, if you’re a dickhead in life no doubt you’ll be a dickhead on the road 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, ZicoKelly said:

Could be dark, you may not spot someone crossing the road you're about to turn into, or a cyclist coming the other way

A good driver displays caution, so should always indicate

If you aren’t spotting other road users you aren’t paying enough attention. If you want to indicate your intentions to a watching squirrel, go for it. 

let’s be honest, if the other road user is so blacked up or un-lit that you can’t see them, they’re hardly going to be in a position to criticise your lack of indicator.

I just looked at advice from driving instructors and they say there is nothing lost by signalling even though you believe there’s nobody there but remember, this advice is for brand new drivers who probably aren’t driving at anything better than an acceptable level. The examiner is looking for dangerous habits, not habits which don’t pose a danger. As I already said, being able to look around you, note that nobody is in view and thus no indicator shows your special awareness and as DazBob said, it should be a decision, not a habit. 

My dad was a Bus Driver and Two Flashes and Out was the motto 🙂 Coincidentally he ended his career diving a hearse around Bolton.

I actually worked as a Driving Instructor for five years , leaving traffic to park by the side of the road and then re-joining was a big thing then, a candidate could be asked to do this three or four times during a test. If the driver signalled unnecessarily it would be booked as an error as it was a sign that they were possibly not assessing the traffic situation and doing by rote... if they did it several times then it was game over, a friend of mine failed his instructor test for this reason, he said afterwards I was wondering why she (examiner) kept asking me to park and every time her pencil twitched! He really should have known better.

The Police Driving Manual refers to unnecessary signalling as "signal clutter"