Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton v Newcastle U21s

desperado

11 hours ago, Thorpey said:

Spent my tenner on Bolton ressies v Geordie u21s but quite enjoyed that so allowed my opinion;

Crellin - enough said already.  Poor at near post, no man's land for second, flapper, not good enough

Greenidge - big lad solid in the tackle but headless chicken with the ball at his feet and no awareness

Taft - solid and a bit like Delaney but less awareness around him

Mascoll - never a left back. Lacks pace and will never beat anyone.  Same up top but scored

Hickman - does averagely ok and willing to get forward

White - had high hopes but has gone backward to being slow and shite

Comley - winds me up this bloke.  Slow, predictable and scares the shit out of me every time he gets the ball.  If you want the ball, which is fair enough, get it in the right area and look to progress rather than an easy backwards pass that slows down any momentum and pisses off every fan watching and your teammates.  Closing on Crellin for the biggest liability

Gordon - tries his hardest and looked better at left back but poor

Darcy - first time he stood out for me in a game.  I know it was against Newcastle U21 but if he can replicate that in a competitive match then all good.  Big ask though

Miller - didn't see much of him

Isgrove - first 45 I couldn't tell him from Darcy but he did ok without anything too penetrating

Henry - don't think he touched it

Gnahoua - does ok but runs a bit, no Eoin 

Thomason - the bright spark.  Something about this lad that will hopefully impact on he first team

That's it.  Back to the booze to celebrate.

Spot on summary.

Just one question - Who is Henry ?

Trouble is that most of these players get hardly any game time to iron out faults without a u-23s.

For instance, Crellin lacking confidence has a fault that he gets too facing the attacker when the cross comes in which means that he can't cover his far post or he has to run backwards very quickly.

And the Seniors and Rileys of this world barely start a game.

Their first goal was exactly the sort of ball Ter Stegen does to Busquets several times a game (not comparing player quality just that scenario)  it looked like Comley had had enough time and space to play a pass to White who had Greenidge in space if needed.

BC still shouldn't be beaten by that shot at his front post so easily though. Positionally poor.

Crellins body language is so poor and his confidence must be at an all time low. Just seen the goals and after the 1st one is conceded Comley just jogs away, the keeper should be giving him pelters or he Comley should be giving it to him but not a word is exchanged. 

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, passmosster said:

Trouble is that most of these players get hardly any game time to iron out faults without a u-23s.

For instance, Crellin lacking confidence has a fault that he gets too facing the attacker when the cross comes in which means that he can't cover his far post or he has to run backwards very quickly.

And the Seniors and Rileys of this world barely start a game.

I think senior not getting in the pitch yesterday will see the end of him at BWFC.

Both players at fault as explained fully by others, but its also IEs fault because its obviously a tactic.  You see those cock ups every single week in much higher divisions and you cant just blame the players and leave it at that, its poor from the manager to allow it, and the further down the leagues you go its even worse because they are less likely to have the ability to do it.  It beggars belief we try it, even more so when Comley is the player receiving the ball but it could equally have been White,  Greenidge, Baptiste etc.

13 hours ago, Thorpey said:

Spent my tenner on Bolton ressies v Geordie u21s but quite enjoyed that so allowed my opinion;

Crellin - enough said already.  Poor at near post, no man's land for second, flapper, not good enough

Greenidge - big lad solid in the tackle but headless chicken with the ball at his feet and no awareness

Taft - solid and a bit like Delaney but less awareness around him

Mascoll - never a left back. Lacks pace and will never beat anyone.  Same up top but scored

Hickman - does averagely ok and willing to get forward

White - had high hopes but has gone backward to being slow and shite

Comley - winds me up this bloke.  Slow, predictable and scares the shit out of me every time he gets the ball.  If you want the ball, which is fair enough, get it in the right area and look to progress rather than an easy backwards pass that slows down any momentum and pisses off every fan watching and your teammates.  Closing on Crellin for the biggest liability

Gordon - tries his hardest and looked better at left back but poor

Darcy - first time he stood out for me in a game.  I know it was against Newcastle U21 but if he can replicate that in a competitive match then all good.  Big ask though

Miller - didn't see much of him

Isgrove - first 45 I couldn't tell him from Darcy but he did ok without anything too penetrating

Henry - don't think he touched it

Gnahoua - does ok but runs a bit, no Eoin 

Thomason - the bright spark.  Something about this lad that will hopefully impact on he first team

That's it.  Back to the booze to celebrate.

Thanks, its good to read a balanced considered summary, positives and negatives that aren't affected by the result.

On Mascoll, he was supposed to be pacy!  Now that we know he's slow, there's literally no point him being in the squad.

White - if he's gone backwards that suggests he was ever any good.  He wasn't. The only 'regular' that I've never seen do anything I couldn't do myself (20 years ago).  Even Comley has done the occasional strong tackle.  We're bringing in young unproven non league players on loan and loaning out better one's (Sonny Graham definitely, maybe Thomasson but only going off others' comments).

49 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Both players at fault as explained fully by others, but its also IEs fault because its obviously a tactic.  You see those cock ups every single week in much higher divisions and you cant just blame the players and leave it at that, its poor from the manager to allow it, and the further down the leagues you go its even worse because they are less likely to have the ability to do it.  It beggars belief we try it, even more so when Comley is the player receiving the ball but it could equally have been White,  Greenidge, Baptiste etc.

I'm skeptical of the tactic myself, but how did he manage it at Barrow if it can't be done in the lower leagues?

36 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Thanks, its good to read a balanced considered summary, positives and negatives that aren't affected by the result.

On Mascoll, he was supposed to be pacy!  Now that we know he's slow, there's literally no point him being in the squad.

White - if he's gone backwards that suggests he was ever any good.  He wasn't. The only 'regular' that I've never seen do anything I couldn't do myself (20 years ago).  Even Comley has done the occasional strong tackle.  We're bringing in young unproven non league players on loan and loaning out better one's (Sonny Graham definitely, maybe Thomasson but only going off others' comments).

Sonny Graham isn't better than White.

12 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I'm skeptical of the tactic myself, but how did he manage it at Barrow if it can't be done in the lower leagues?

I really dont know!  I'd have to see their games and I've no intention of that.  But Man City and Arsenal finish in the top 6 of the Prem whilst cocking up at the back (not always resulting in a goal), so its still possible to make mistakes and win games.  As we did last night and v Bradford.

• Site Supporter

Here’s the thing about the way Crellin does the pass out; the opposition forward line know he’s going to do it so they just get ready to pounce on whoever gets the ball. Gilks at least mixed it up a bit. If the forwards were too close to his defenders, miss the defenders out and put it to the midfield or boot it long. Just don’t do the same thing where the only change is which defender gets the ball.

4 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Here’s the thing about the way Crellin does the pass out; the opposition forward line know he’s going to do it so they just get ready to pounce on whoever gets the ball. Gilks at least mixed it up a bit. If the forwards were too close to his defenders, miss the defenders out and put it to the midfield or boot it long. Just don’t do the same thing where the only change is which defender gets the ball.

The problem with Comley, and it's something Henshaw is constantly picking him up on - and to be fair he's absolutely right - is that his body shape is always wrong when he gets the ball, he's always facing the direction from where the ball came from, his body is never opened up on the half-turn, meaning he can only head back in that direction.

Baffling that a professional footballer is guilty of something that u-10s are coached.

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, DazBob said:

The problem with Comley, and it's something Henshaw is constantly picking him up on - and to be fair he's absolutely right - is that his body shape is always wrong when he gets the ball, he's always facing the direction from where the ball came from, his body is never opened up on the half-turn, meaning he can only head back in that direction.

Baffling that a professional footballer is guilty of something that u-10s are coached.

But the fault comes with Crellin giving him the ball. He had two players within a few yards so even if he’d been able to turn, he’d have gone straight into someone wanting to take the ball off him.

Just now, MickyD said:

But the fault comes with Crellin giving him the ball. He had two players within a few yards so even if he’d been able to turn, he’d have gone straight into someone wanting to take the ball off him.

Fair enough.  My point was just one in general with him.

Edited by DazBob

Just now, MickyD said:

It was a stupid pass to him no doubt; but he made it so much worse by his atrocious play like he always does. Hopefully this will be the last we see from both Crellin and Comley

Watching it back, it looks like Taft actually gestures at Crellin to give it to Comley. And Comley actually does take it on the half turn and could've passed it to White but instead turns back into trouble.

Still a shit decision to give it to Comley whether he was told to or not. Greenidge was on his own in loads of space if we want to play out from the back, Mascoll too.

Think Crellin did start hitting it long after that but it kept going out of play when he did... 😂

I'd feel more sorry for him if he hadn't cost us so many points.

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Watching it back, it looks like Taft actually gestures at Crellin to give it to Comley. And Comley actually does take it on the half turn and could've passed it to White but instead turns back into trouble.

Still a shit decision to give it to Comley whether he was told to or not. Greenidge was on his own in loads of space if we want to play out from the back, Mascoll too.

Think Crellin did start hitting it long after that but it kept going out of play when he did... 😂

I'd feel more sorry for him if he hadn't cost us so many points.

I can't help but think, if IE wants to play it out from the back, he will have told the players, the keepers in particular, under no circumstances play it out down the middle (that may or may not be how it works but, I can't recall many teams who play it out from the back doing that)

he had players either side of him

mental