Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Costa Blanca North Vs Costa Blanca South?

Blondi

My in laws are looking to buy an apartment in the Costa Blanca region, they've kindly asked me where they think they should buy? I've stayed in La Zenia, think that's south, it was OK, buth that was it. I know a couple that own a place in Moraira in the North and they love it, they say it's so much nicer than the south.

Any recommendations for any nice towns that have some nice restaurants, bars etc in the North or the South and maybe not too far from a beach would be much appreciated.

Ta!

Edited by Blondi

Mounts is probably your man.

My folks have lived inland near Denia / Javea for over 15 years. I and they love it around there, but they’re very much there for the quiet village life.

I randomly met Fat Sam at Alicante airport once when waiting for my bro to get off the same flight at someone from Sam’s family. 

• Site Supporter

Friend used to have a villa in a place called Alfáz del Pi inland and up a mountain from Benidorm. It had a totally different climate than down at the beach; not always better but far enough away not to be Benidorm.

The North is nicer (north of Benidorm that is) but more expensive, saying that some lovely areas in the South and more golf courses, the beaches North & South pretty similar, inland it’s more mountainous and prettier in the North with some lovely inland villages. The south has the Mar Menor which is great but if money was no object I’d probably go to the North, but wouldn’t put folk of the South.

For the south property search base around Torriveieja, North around Calpe. 

The key is do your research firstly on line then travel up & down the coast to get a feel for the prices and the areas. Finally I’d not be looking more than 45 minutes from the airport for a property, when you land you just want to get there ASAP. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

We've got a place near La Zenia.

It's very quiet out of season, but gets predictably busy during school holidays. The beaches are tremendous and the beer is ice cold. Gets a bit dearer to live nearer the coast but given the weather I never mind our walk to the coast, which is about a mile or so. You can always stop for a pint somewhere en route, important to stay hydrated in the warm weather.

27 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

The North is nicer (north of Benidorm that is) but more expensive, saying that some lovely areas in the South and more golf courses, the beaches North & South pretty similar, inland it’s more mountainous and prettier in the North with some lovely inland villages. The south has the Mar Menor which is great but if money was no object I’d probably go to the North, but wouldn’t put folk of the South.

For the south property search base around Torriveieja, North around Calpe. 

The key is do your research firstly on line then travel up & down the coast to get a feel for the prices and the areas. Finally I’d not be looking more than 45 minutes from the airport for a property, when you land you just want to get there ASAP. 

I would suggest they take a long term rental in an area they like before committing to an outright purchase, there are pro's and cons to both the north and the south 

The coastal resorts of the Marina Alta area running from Calpe to Denia are in my opinion the best areas but are some of the most expensive in spain - properties there hold their value better because they are the most popular areas with the Spanish themselves - but that area is 75-90 minutes from Alicante airport and similar from Valencia airport - in my opinion its worth the extra drive time 

The region has some of the lowest Covid infection rates in mainland Spain 

33 minutes ago, Kane57 said:

We've got a place near La Zenia.

It's very quiet out of season, but gets predictably busy during school holidays. The beaches are tremendous and the beer is ice cold. Gets a bit dearer to live nearer the coast but given the weather I never mind our walk to the coast, which is about a mile or so. You can always stop for a pint somewhere en route, important to stay hydrated in the warm weather.

Often go to la Zenia, met a Bolton fan on the shops a couple of years back who had also bought a property, love the beaches near there, La Zenia beach & El Capitan are favourites of mine. 

12 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

I would suggest they take a long term rental in an area they like before committing to an outright purchase, there are pro's and cons to both the north and the south 

The coastal resorts of the Marina Alta area running from Calpe to Denia are in my opinion the best areas but are some of the most expensive in spain - properties there hold their value better because they are the most popular areas with the Spanish themselves - but that area is 75-90 minutes from Alicante airport and similar from Valencia airport - in my opinion its worth the extra drive time 

The region has some of the lowest Covid infection rates in mainland Spain 

I’d recommend a rental before purchase, we holidayed on our complex before we bought, I’d also add a word of caution be careful not to buy on a flood plain, we have the segura river near us and many towns on the flood plain and some houses were partially underwater last Autumn. 

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Often go to la Zenia, met a Bolton fan on the shops a couple of years back who had also bought a property, love the beaches near there, La Zenia beach & El Capitan are favourites of mine. 

We're halfway between La Zenia beach and Campo Amor so a good balance. As mentioned before if you know Paddy's Point we're about a ten minute walk from there. 

I love it and can't wait til the brats move out so we can get over there more permanently. 

20 minutes ago, Kane57 said:

We're halfway between La Zenia beach and Campo Amor so a good balance. As mentioned before if you know Paddy's Point we're about a ten minute walk from there. 

I love it and can't wait til the brats move out so we can get over there more permanently. 

Our lad in last year at secondary school so we’re hoping we to spend more time there after he leaves school.