Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

Stevenage (A) 21st November

1 hour ago, desperado said:

I thought that was Baptiste’s best game this season (ok he’s not set a good standard) I’m that pissed now I can’t remember but he made a cracking pass at the start of one of our goals 

Agreed. He looked sharper today than he ever has. He's benefiting from the experienced keeper and defence around him. Like Santos and Delaney he's always got a slip up in him but he was much better today.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Won nothing yet, stay miserable for another hour or so yet.

after 7pm on an away day - don’t pretend you are usually sober under normal circumstances

0-2 Delf & Doyle. A professional,textbook away performance & no goalkeeping gaffes.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, victor meldrew said:

no one can say the second half performance was good enough.

great save by gilks , if it had gone in i think my prediction would have happened.

long way to go before this team is getting promoted.

sorry to piss on  some peoples chips.

You won't, no fucker listens anyway 😂

37 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

And judging by last season not much better below top 10 of Div 1, defensively.

Only criticism I'd have of both is why do they never look like scoring?  They can win headers, and we get plenty of corners, but only Baptiste ever seems to get a header on target.

I wouldn't judge Delaney on last season. They'd probably have scored by now if our set piece delivery was better.

Useless but interesting stat.  All 4 wins have been achieved after scoring the 1st goal by the 24th minute (3 by Doyle).   Compared to our 3 home defeats where all 3 opponents have won the game in the 2nd half.  Its great to get an early lead but I feel that we need to show we can grow stronger as the game goes on, we seem to tire after an hour or so.  I don't care if we score in the 1st minute or the 95th if we win but I'd love us to boss a game in the 2nd half.

3 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

It won't stop me getting carried away because we beat Salford last week, but it's probably worth bearing in mind that Stevenage are shit

Tbh Salford are shite, but they dicked someone 3 zip today. It's a shit fucking turd league and we should win a lot more games from now until the end of the season to have a good chance of promotion. 

2 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

It won't stop me getting carried away because we beat Salford last week, but it's probably worth bearing in mind that Stevenage are shit

I've said there's hardly any difference between top and bottom in this league, but yes I agree Stevenage are worse than anything we've seen yet.  Grimsby probably the 2nd worst of the games I've watched.

Thought we made hard work of it against a poor team ... but on the other hand it was good to see us grind out a result without playing particularly well.

Felt like we were hanging on a bit, without letting them create any real chances, something we were incapable of doing up until a couple of weeks ago.

It's also a much nicer feeling to be looking up the table rather than over our shoulders.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I've said there's hardly any difference between top and bottom in this league, but yes I agree Stevenage are worse than anything we've seen yet.  Grimsby probably the 2nd worst of the games I've watched.

Stevenage should have gone down last season but for Macc. They are shit. Still got to win your battles though

14 hours ago, victor meldrew said:

until last week we didn't have a keeper.

as someone else said ,if gilks had played the previous 6 games we would be in a play off position, thats hind sight ,

it's the same thing.

I think that’s the frustration for me. I’ve never been anywhere near thinking Evatt should go and I’m happy to give him this season and beyond.  However I hope we don’t rue some of the early selection decisions. There were some obvious wrong selections early on such, as Comley instead of Tutte and Crellin instead of Gilks, that everybody could see apart from the manager. 

13 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

We've given them a run for being the worst team I've seen this season.

1 hour ago, Francis Fogarty said:

We've given them a run for being the worst team I've seen this season.

No two ways about it.  Us in the first 4 home games was comfortably the worst team I've seen, worse than Stevenage yesterday.  In those games, as well as Crellin, Gordon (or Mascoll) started all 4, Comley 3, White and Hickman 2  and Greenidge 1.  Add to that a clear improvement in form for Santos, Sarcevic, Doyle and Baptiste in recent games, it looks like a different team and not before time.

To be fair, it's not hindsight to say we shouldn't be playing Crellin. It was almost sinful that we went into the season with our lead keeper a 20yr old loanee, Fleetwood's 3rd or 4th choice with only 6 months on loan at Div.5 Chorley, who were relegated, to his cv., an 18yr old & a 38yr old unfit guy who was really, by then, a coach.

I'm unsure whether this was the fault of Evatt or the guy with the made up name and absolutely no history (try to search for him prior to him turning up at Macclesfield. There's nothing.

Most of us could see this from the outset. Those willing to follow Evatt at the time presumed he was going to turn out to be a surprise gem. It didn't take even the most hopeful too long to realise how poor he is. Evatt held onto him a good 6 matches too late.

We simply MUST have another, decent one, lined up for Day 1 of the new window 

2 hours ago, Francis Fogarty said:

If our team of yesterday played our team against Orient, yesterdays lot would have scored half a dozen.

The only 2 outfield changes were Jones for Brockbank and Doyle for Arthur.   Yes a new keeper but its stretching it a bit to expect a 10 goal swing 😀.  I didn't watch Orient but plenty said Baptiste, Kioso, Tutte and Delaney had bad games.  

• Site Supporter

Feet on the ground. Encouraging but probably too soon to start getting too carried away.

Win another 2 or 3 on this run though and it will be difficult to stay grounded!

Starting to think about playoffs but only fleetingly.

12 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

The only 2 outfield changes were Jones for Brockbank and Doyle for Arthur.   Yes a new keeper but its stretching it a bit to expect a 10 goal swing 😀.  I didn't watch Orient but plenty said Baptiste, Kioso, Tutte and Delaney had bad games.  

You must of seen the goals Crellin let in that day, just by replacing him with gilks would of stopped 3. 

18 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

You must of seen the goals Crellin let in that day, just by replacing him with gilks would of stopped 3. 

It is not just the mistakes BC made it was the impact of those on the defence. Confidence is a massive part of the game and no one could have any with BC in goal. 

Just now, Ani said:

It is not just the mistakes BC made it was the impact of those on the defence. Confidence is a massive part of the game and no one could have any with BC in goal. 

100% agree with that, since Gilkes replaced him the whole defence has settled down, we are completely different team. 

16 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I was going to say what the last few posts said. 

It's about attitude and confidence now because we have a more settled confident side now, and it all stems from the change in keeoer.  Gilks won't last the season, we all know that (including Gilks), but if we can get sorted in time for the next window we'll be reet.

We could have got a team off Wways to beat us that day against Orient, and I'm including vile druggy thugs and those reeking of crime in that.

6 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

100% agree with that, since Gilkes replaced him the whole defence has settled down, we are completely different team. 

Santos and Delaney with Gilks behind them look so calm and composed, not only do they win the first ball they win the second, you can hear Gilks all the time. 

I go out on a whim and say based on them 3 staying fit we’ll have the best defensive record in the league