Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Stevenage (A) 21st November

Mantra

14 hours ago, victor meldrew said:

until last week we didn't have a keeper.

as someone else said ,if gilks had played the previous 6 games we would be in a play off position, thats hind sight ,

it's the same thing.

I think that’s the frustration for me. I’ve never been anywhere near thinking Evatt should go and I’m happy to give him this season and beyond.  However I hope we don’t rue some of the early selection decisions. There were some obvious wrong selections early on such, as Comley instead of Tutte and Crellin instead of Gilks, that everybody could see apart from the manager. 

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I've said there's hardly any difference between top and bottom in this league, but yes I agree Stevenage are worse than anything we've seen yet.  Grimsby probably the 2nd worst of the games I've watched.

We've given them a run for being the worst team I've seen this season.

1 hour ago, Francis Fogarty said:

We've given them a run for being the worst team I've seen this season.

No two ways about it.  Us in the first 4 home games was comfortably the worst team I've seen, worse than Stevenage yesterday.  In those games, as well as Crellin, Gordon (or Mascoll) started all 4, Comley 3, White and Hickman 2  and Greenidge 1.  Add to that a clear improvement in form for Santos, Sarcevic, Doyle and Baptiste in recent games, it looks like a different team and not before time.

To be fair, it's not hindsight to say we shouldn't be playing Crellin. It was almost sinful that we went into the season with our lead keeper a 20yr old loanee, Fleetwood's 3rd or 4th choice with only 6 months on loan at Div.5 Chorley, who were relegated, to his cv., an 18yr old & a 38yr old unfit guy who was really, by then, a coach.

I'm unsure whether this was the fault of Evatt or the guy with the made up name and absolutely no history (try to search for him prior to him turning up at Macclesfield. There's nothing.

Most of us could see this from the outset. Those willing to follow Evatt at the time presumed he was going to turn out to be a surprise gem. It didn't take even the most hopeful too long to realise how poor he is. Evatt held onto him a good 6 matches too late.

We simply MUST have another, decent one, lined up for Day 1 of the new window 

2 hours ago, Francis Fogarty said:

If our team of yesterday played our team against Orient, yesterdays lot would have scored half a dozen.

The only 2 outfield changes were Jones for Brockbank and Doyle for Arthur.   Yes a new keeper but its stretching it a bit to expect a 10 goal swing 😀.  I didn't watch Orient but plenty said Baptiste, Kioso, Tutte and Delaney had bad games.  

12 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

The only 2 outfield changes were Jones for Brockbank and Doyle for Arthur.   Yes a new keeper but its stretching it a bit to expect a 10 goal swing 😀.  I didn't watch Orient but plenty said Baptiste, Kioso, Tutte and Delaney had bad games.  

You must of seen the goals Crellin let in that day, just by replacing him with gilks would of stopped 3. 

18 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

You must of seen the goals Crellin let in that day, just by replacing him with gilks would of stopped 3. 

It is not just the mistakes BC made it was the impact of those on the defence. Confidence is a massive part of the game and no one could have any with BC in goal. 

• Site Supporter
16 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I was going to say what the last few posts said. 

It's about attitude and confidence now because we have a more settled confident side now, and it all stems from the change in keeoer.  Gilks won't last the season, we all know that (including Gilks), but if we can get sorted in time for the next window we'll be reet.

We could have got a team off Wways to beat us that day against Orient, and I'm including vile druggy thugs and those reeking of crime in that.

• Members
6 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

100% agree with that, since Gilkes replaced him the whole defence has settled down, we are completely different team. 

Santos and Delaney with Gilks behind them look so calm and composed, not only do they win the first ball they win the second, you can hear Gilks all the time. 

I go out on a whim and say based on them 3 staying fit we’ll have the best defensive record in the league 

5 hours ago, Francis Fogarty said:

I was going to say what the last few posts said. 

It's about attitude and confidence now because we have a more settled confident side now, and it all stems from the change in keeoer.  Gilks won't last the season, we all know that (including Gilks), but if we can get sorted in time for the next window we'll be reet.

We could have got a team off Wways to beat us that day against Orient, and I'm including vile druggy thugs and those reeking of crime in that.

I've read back your original post and I misread it, apologies.  I thought you were implying our team on Sat would have put 6 past Orient! Yes I agree, we could potentially have put 6 past a team with Crellin in goal and a few others playing under par (if we had continued to attack, which is something BW teams down the years haven't done, we have been declaring at 2 for years much to my frustration when occasionally we could score more).  What I would say is experienced players like Baptiste should be leading by example and not hiding behind an inexperienced keeper, and it sounded like the Baptiste pass back in the first minute set the tone for the day, and that cant have helped everyone's confidence, BC included.  Anyway - onwards and upwards.