Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rats in the loft

glennboltw

Every few years we seem to get rats in the loft, the bastards run between our house and the three connected. The council have been out numerous times to use prison to kill them but they can't seem to find the entry point therefore they keep returning..... Has any one had any experience of this and how they overcame it, I'm thinking of getting a loft company in to completely make the loft rat safe and to find any possible entrance that they may be finding..... Don't want a cat got two dogs! 

I'd get the loft company in and leave a few traps around the loft for good measure. Is it possible one of the neighbours is a dirty bugger leaving food and crap all over the place?  They usually return to a food source or a bedding source. 

They're bloody determined beggars and will gnaw their way through solid wooden doors if there's something tempting on the other side.

8 minutes ago, tomski said:

Forgive my ignorance but how do they get up to the loft?

Not sure, we seem to think they gain access through the wall cavities then climb up the wall into the loft, once in the loft they can get into all four houses. We thought they was coming through the main drain sewer but we have had cameras down and we can't see any damage to the drain. 

3 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

I'd get the loft company in and leave a few traps around the loft for good measure. Is it possible one of the neighbours is a dirty bugger leaving food and crap all over the place?  They usually return to a food source or a bedding source. 

They're bloody determined beggars and will gnaw their way through solid wooden doors if there's something tempting on the other side.

One of the neighbours garden is a shit hole, not with food or anything but with garden waste, I always seem to think this is where they may be breeding etc but we've never seen any rats outside and the council checked all that out. 

• Site Supporter

Had a mouse problem a couple of months ago. They were going up the cavity and finding their way under the floor boards, and also into the loft. Put down a load of poison, and traps primed with Nutella. Caught about 10 of the little cunts in the traps, and assume the others have all died from the poison because we haven't heard anything for a few weeks now. Mice were bad enough to deal with - I don't envy you if you've got rats.

1 minute ago, glennboltw said:

One of the neighbours garden is a shit hole, not with food or anything but with garden waste, I always seem to think this is where they may be breeding etc but we've never seen any rats outside and the council checked all that out. 

Rats get everywhere, worked in some posh gaffs in N Wales and they looked at you and never budge in the garden, like squirrels taking the piss.

Remove the hatch...

Buy a load of batteries and a flashing bike light - home bargains do them for about three quid.

Get a bluetooth speaker - emoji ones are cheap and good off ebay - seven quid or so.

Tape them both to some form of pole or fishing rod etc. Sommat that can poke into the attic but can be retrieved easily.

Put the light on rapid flash.

Go on youtube and stream via your phone/pad/laptop - cat noises, death metal, punk, techno etc. to the speaker.

Fill socks with chopped onions and chiili powder and sling them up.

Get some Hydrogen Peroxide (Care is a cheap brand) from the chemist and soak some dishcloths in it and chuck them up.

They will bugger off - honestly.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

10 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Remove the hatch...

Buy a load of batteries and a flashing bike light - home bargains do them for about three quid.

Get a bluetooth speaker - emoji ones are cheap and good off ebay - seven quid or so.

Tape them both to some form of pole or fishing rod etc. Sommat that can poke into the attic but can be retrieved easily.

Go on youtube iand stream cat noises, death metal, punk, techno etc. to the speaker.

Get some Hydrogen Peroxide (Care is a cheap brand) from the chemist and soak some dishcloths in it and chuck them up.

I will give that a go...... I will probably need to get a loft company in then to proof it as they would probably end up coming back eventually. 

2 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

😀

Get a gat gun and darts - dip the darts in a.i.d.s blood, procured from a h.i.v.+ rent boy or female sex worker.

Then get a pair of night vision goggles, like 'Buffalo Bill', get up in the attic - then lie in wait, shoot them in the arse when they pitch up.

Wear gloves when aids-ing up the darts.

😂😂

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Remove the hatch...

Go on youtube and stream via your phone/pad/laptop - cat noises, death metal, punk, techno etc. to the speaker.

That sounds like the nightclub in The Matrix

missus mum n dad got a couple in theres, which we're coming from next door as they are scruffy buggers

council got rid

i had a small issue in the summer during lockdown, I kept noticing the bird feed going rather quick, a rat was coming from across the way for the feed, we later found out someome on the next street had a nest in their shed, my couisn shot one, and they got rid of the nest, havent seen them since

they can get in anywhere, check arond your house for any holes, airbricks etc and cover them

Its highly likely they'll be in your neigbours if in the loft

they breed so quick, its difficult, you need to get the nest

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

My memory is hazy - and the sequels were utter dogspunk...

But the nightclub 'Neo' is lured out to by the rabbit tattoo girl?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjBlMT2K99gcKI2JVTI9c

Portrayed by the above?

😍

Yes.

And she is rather smashing.