Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rats in the loft

glennboltw

• Members
Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

You have to question the government increasing defence spending and freezing public sector workers pay, gifting Labour a free pass next election. 

Not sure what they can do about Glens rat problem but every little helps 

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Screwfix rat traps and piece of chocolate job done

worth figuring out how they get in though

at our old place, we had mice in the kitchen cupboard

put out humane traps, kept catching them, let them go a few miles away, more kept coming

got a guy out who figured it was the same gap at the bottom of the sliding garage door, then into a hole in the wall and free reign of the whole place

put some wood across that, they never returned

4 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

worth figuring out how they get in though

at our old place, we had mice in the kitchen cupboard

put out humane traps, kept catching them, let them go a few miles away, more kept coming

got a guy out who figured it was the same gap at the bottom of the sliding garage door, then into a hole in the wall and free reign of the whole place

put some wood across that, they never returned

At my mums it was through the wall cavities from a single extension then up into the loft! she used to ring me saying someone’s in my loft😀 well she wasn’t wrong big fuckers they was 

• Site Supporter

Had them a couple of years ago.

it amazed me where they got in , weak spot on a widow sil and into the cavity .

the whole street in my side had them, probably due some old garages nearby getting knocked and cleared.

once in they were fucking everywhere,   Including neighbours houses , via  wall cavity, kids coming screaming as they were in the wallnext to the bed scratching  then under the bath via the gap in the floor board for the drain , stuff of nightmares 
basically if they can feel air on their whiskers they will gnaw through to the other side or try at least and whatever it is, wires pipes etc, they absolutely destroyed the back of my dishwasher 
I was like a mad man when we had them , blocking up gaps with cement and old tiles etc . there were signs they were coming into the kitchen floor, the traps we used were glue mats and dry roasted peanuts , after lacing bait elsewhere with poison as this makes them a bit more docile , a fully compus  rat probably too clever to walk on a glue mat apparently, it worked but it’s a bit grim finding one stuck trying to get off but we caught two and it solved the problem .

some good home made traps on YouTube too 

Edited by fatolive
Spelling

Worth checking your Soil & Vent Pipe. If where the pipe enters the ground has not been sealed properly they can use the loose fill around the pipe underground to get about. They then get up through the floor if its not sealed around the collar and up any ducts which usually leads to the roof space. 

We had them in our loft, same issue, run along the houses in our row. 

Council came out and put poison down and we had the chimney repointed and touch wood it's sorted it. 

Had mice in the house too when building started on nearby fields. Came in from under the stairs, knawed through the wood and got at the kids Easter eggs. Put poison down but also bought an electric trap off amazon, Nutella covered grapes for bait and fried 3 of the fuckers! 

Needless to say, I had the last laugh. 

• Site Supporter

Lots of folk use humane, non-lethal traps. Problem is, if you catch something classed as vermin, you aren’t; by law, allowed to release it. 

I recently agreed to do a friend a favour. He is a Stockport based pest controller who got the job of baiting Humane traps for grey squirrels. The rules state that once the traps are set, they are to be checked at least once in a 24 hour period. To save having to drive around the M60 daily, he asked me to check them. I agreed and he handed me a powerful air rifle with which to dispatch anything caught.

https://www.gov.uk/pest-control-on-your-property

• Site Supporter
16 hours ago, glennboltw said:

Every few years we seem to get rats in the loft, the bastards run between our house and the three connected. The council have been out numerous times to use prison to kill them but they can't seem to find the entry point therefore they keep returning..... Has any one had any experience of this and how they overcame it, I'm thinking of getting a loft company in to completely make the loft rat safe and to find any possible entrance that they may be finding..... Don't want a cat got two dogs! 

If your not sorted already - DM me with your contact number, I run a pest control Division and we cover bolton pal? Thanks for the mention @gonzo

This is a little un learning his trade... they need to learn that to avoid being nipped they have to get in quick and launch the rat breaking it's neck... there was a famous Manchester called Billy who used to tour the pubs and fairs in the Bolton area... could do over one rat per minute.

Just looked him up he was credited with 100 in five and a half minutes once!

Edited by Dimron