Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sunday papers , does anyone bother any more

crawshawbooth

Since my teens I've once in a blue moon bought The Daily or Sunday Sport - very much dependent on how filthy the cover girl looks.

Shaun Ryder did a column years ago and he namechecked me - very proud. 😀

Used to get the Sunday Express and read the match reports then recycle bin it - only bought it to do the supplement's £1000 crossword; never sent it off though.

I used to do coupons as a kid - lied about my age, nice earner for one nights work.

I'd also stick the odd 'Spot The Ball' down a grid if I adjudged it to be astronomically unlikely to be a winner. Trouser the stake.

I got my comeuppance though - a punter killed my pet kestrel.

Edit: The National Lottery launch killed off The Football Pools almost overnight - used to earn 12.5% of the take, which after the lottery was next to fuck all - fucked it off within weeks.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

When I was still drinking & whatnot at away games, I'd call round at my parents on the Sunday & my dad who was mad keen would ask about the game, so i had to call in Asda or the newsagents on the way up & have a quick read through the Sunday paper match reports to get some idea

I used to buy the Guardian but whether it went too far left or i went to the right, i got sick of it & can't remember the last time i bought any paper.

7 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I used to do coupons as a kid - lied about my age, nice earner for one nights work.

I'd also stick the odd 'Spot The Ball' down a grid if I adjudged it to be astronomically unlikely to be a winner. Trouser the stake.

I got my comeuppance though - a punter killed my pet kestrel.

Edit: The National Lottery launch killed off The Football Pools almost overnight - used to earn 12.5% of the take, which after the lottery was next to fuck all - fucked it off within weeks.

Used to love doing the pools with my Dad and then sitting through the football results on Grandstand on a Saturday afternoon

Was always Vernons. He hated Littlewoods - think he had some business fall out with the Moores family? 

21 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Not bought a paper in yonks

anyone remember the pink 

The Pink was Manc and The Buff Bolton. Growing up in L/H, the newsagents sold both and it gave me as much pleasure as a whites win to walk in and say “Buff please”

The Blackpool gazette always had a green too. 

We always had the Manchester Evening news and pink in our house as they sold it at a newsagents in town and it was the closest my dad could get.

My aunt used to post Mondays BEN to us every week.