Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Scunthorpe (A)

Zico

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Arguably the table does lie if you play the first 10 games with a non league goalkeeper and then you change it.

Don’t know why you shoehorned the word “league” into that sentence. Spurious at best and says much the same without.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Arguably the table does lie if you play the first 10 games with a non league goalkeeper and then you change it.

Proof then that it doesn't lie. Shit keeper meant shit defending and goals conceded. Therefore deserved results.

All teams aim to improve and that means changing players from time to time. We just took too long to do it.

It should also be borne in mind that our defenders were also all over the place, midfield was largely ineffective and strikes devoid of service. 

56 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Don’t know why you shoehorned the word “league” into that sentence. Spurious at best and says much the same without.

It wasn't shoe horned.  My feeling is he's a non league keeper, and that's not meant in a derogatory way, its just the standard I would put him at - Chorley etc.  Similar with White and Greenidge but probably 1 division higher - but seen much less of them.  I wouldn't say Crellin is a "non keeper", but putting him in an EFL team is clearly going to make that team worse than they should be.

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Proof then that it doesn't lie. Shit keeper meant shit defending and goals conceded. Therefore deserved results.

All teams aim to improve and that means changing players from time to time. We just took too long to do it.

It should also be borne in mind that our defenders were also all over the place, midfield was largely ineffective and strikes devoid of service. 

I just meant that we were a bottom 6 side in the first 10 games, yes deservedly.  But the team that Salford, Stevenage and Scunthorpe are playing isn't, in my opinion, even a bottom half side because changes have been made.  Yes the club deserves to be bottom half overall, but hopefully the 11/14 players we are putting on the pitch from now isn't one of the worst teams in this league.  The table doesn't tell the whole story.

• Site Supporter
42 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

It wasn't shoe horned.  My feeling is he's a non league keeper, and that's not meant in a derogatory way, its just the standard I would put him at - Chorley etc.  Similar with White and Greenidge but probably 1 division higher - but seen much less of them.  I wouldn't say Crellin is a "non keeper", but putting him in an EFL team is clearly going to make that team worse than they should be.

Not sure you can judge the standard of a keeper like you can outfield players mate,I mean if he can't catch a ball , doesn't command his area or organize and talk to his defenders and lacks confidence, he's going to concede shed loads in Sunday league football.