Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Petrolheads

Rudy

20 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I fancy a BMW X6 with all the bells and whistles.

10 minutes ago, Rudy said:

My mother in law works for BMW, I sat in the X6 it’s stunning inside it really is, ginormous mind, didn’t get to drive it though but it’s a BM so it’ll be the bollocks 

71 yr old Papa Traf bought himself an X6 recently.

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

Same, hopefully France next year. Having a massive car makes camping so much easier.

Driven to Bordeaux a few times. Fucking long drive but just gets better and better the nearer you get.

Where you off to?

25 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Unless you've ever driven a Lada Riva without PAS, you don't even know how shit a car can drive.

Currently driving a Merc E-Class, it's extremely comfortable although a tad biddyish - but i'm a tad  biddyish, so it's ok.

I fancy a BMW X6 with all the bells and whistles.

I’m driving an eclass also. E220etc are comfy but very sterile. Even the e400 is although Bit of poke about it . E53/63 are beasts though 

I like the x6 very nice car 

• Site Supporter
Just now, Escobarp said:

I’m driving an eclass also. E220etc are comfy but very sterile. Even the e400 is although Bit of poke about it . E53/63 are beasts though 

I like the x6 very nice car 

I found the E class a bit style over substance.

Though I did enjoy driving 3cm away from the car in front and doing Nazi salutes to other e class drivers as you passed them.

Just now, Spider said:

I found the E class a bit style over substance.

Though I did enjoy driving 3cm away from the car in front and doing Nazi salutes to other e class drivers as you passed them.

Depends which model you get. If you buy any big saloon and power it with the equivalent of a hairdryer and it’s going to feel a bit shit in reality. Same with bmw 520 etc. Just meh and built for grandads and salesmen wanting a German car on the drive to keep with up the neighbours. 

I would rather have a Skoda octavia vrs than a 520 or e220 etc for same money

Few years back I had to drive down to Portsmouth through work. Other lad going was a big petrol head so he said he'd drive and pick the snazziest hire car Enterprise had. Which he did. But when he came to pick us up a tyre was flat - fucking big nail through it. So we drove tentatively round to Enterprise, who couldn't fettle it in the short time we had but offered us the one car they had going. A Chevrolet Spark. I had to chuckle as he struggled to get it accelerating on even modest climbs of the motorway (just checked - 0-60 in 15). Still, to be fair old "Sparky" did get us there and back with no issues. Apart from the other lad's pride; he's got a top of the range Beamer now, replacing his Lexus. But he'll never live down the day he drove half way across England in Sparky 😀

23 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

I want to buy a van. Imagine it'd be dead useful and practical.

Missus won't let me though.

I drive a van as work provide me with one and with not having kids I see no reason to waste any money for another vehicle. It is handy as fuck for many obvious reasons and also great for when the dog gets muddy as fuck on a walk and just chuck her in the back without having to worry about interior. 

Draw backs, every fucker always asks you to "just move this bed" or "pick this washing machine up for me" etc etc.

Do your own fucking tip runs you twats!! 

• Members
9 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Depends which model you get. If you buy any big saloon and power it with the equivalent of a hairdryer and it’s going to feel a bit shit in reality. Same with bmw 520 etc. Just meh and built for grandads and salesmen wanting a German car on the drive to keep with up the neighbours. 

I would rather have a Skoda octavia vrs than a 520 or e220 etc for same money

520 is so tuned down it’s unbelievable it’s comfort over power, bloody lovely inside though. The M ranges of Beamers are near perfect 

17 minutes ago, Spider said:

Driven to Bordeaux a few times. Fucking long drive but just gets better and better the nearer you get.

Where you off to?

I've never been to France before. Hopefully making it a 3 week trip. I'd ideally like to travel West to Brittany, then head south along the coast. We'll probably only book the first site then go from there.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

I've never been to France before. Hopefully making it a 3 week trip. I'd ideally like to travel West to Brittany, then head south along the coast. We'll probably only book the first site then go from there.

Let me know if Bordeaux comes on your radar, can give you some pointers.

Would recommend it if you can fit it into your schedule.

• Members
2 minutes ago, tyldesley_white said:

Performance for me every time

Absolutely 

I reckon I could change anyone’s view on that. Nothing compares to that roar and rumble and feeling of power and performance. 

Mrs says the same when she’s ordering on Ann summers 

19 minutes ago, Spider said:

Let me know if Bordeaux comes on your radar, can give you some pointers.

Would recommend it if you can fit it into your schedule.

It's a possibility. Went to Italy last year. Wasn't sure what to expect outside of Rome but fell in love with the place. We did Florence,  Peschiera del Garda (lake garda), Venice and Rome. Best two week holiday I've ever had. 

The only downside was the fucking smart car we got given at the airport.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, wanderer1984 said:

It's a possibility. Went to Italy last year. Wasn't sure what to expect outside of Rome but fell in love with the place. We did Florence,  Peschiera del Garda (lake garda), Venice and Rome. Best two week holiday I've ever had. 

The only downside was the fucking smart car we got given at the airport.

Did Tuscany a couple of times. Got given an Alfa so felt proper smug until I backed it into a concrete bollard in Lucca.

Get yer self to Bordeaux/ Bergerac, the food and wine markets during summer are sublime.

Gout is a certainty.

• Site Supporter

Quite like older cars, really not into anything new.. 

Nicest car i've driven was a 1991 Porsche 911, teeny tiny thing that I wouldn't even fit in now. 

But i'd love an old Golf Gti. 

Currently have a 2.0 tdi Passat that i've done 40k miles in 3 years, love it, and have no intention of getting rid. It's actually worth more now than I paid for it. 

Also have a Audi A3 2.0 sport, its 170 bhp till I get Red Hot remaps to have a play around with it, looks like a nice little family car and drives like its on something!

Surprisingly the smoothest drive i've had was an old Rover 75!

I'll not get started on motorbikes, there is a '99 Blade on eBay i'm watching and reckon I can sneak it in before the Wife gets out of hospital.

• Site Supporter

I currently drive a VW Passat as a company car so hardly exciting. However, it handles better than the previous Insignia and the older but faster C class I had. It is also much nicer inside than both.

The current range of Mercs have lovely interiors though.

That said, I do fuck all miles these days so I might take the allowance next renewal and get something daft instead

Best car - current Merc GLC - ticks every box that I need ticking

Favourite car - Orion 1.6i Ghia - respectable XR3i. Although my first ever car was a B Reg (1985?) Astra 1.6L company car. I loved that car as it was my first and it cost me nowt other than a low amount of tax

Worst car - BMW Alpina D3 Biturbo - undriveable in the wet as mentioned on another thread

Funniest car - my brother’s Lada Riva. Went to Anfield in it one night to watch Wigan vs Brisbane Broncos. It was like Del Boy’s Robin Reliant with smoke belching out the exhaust. Fucking thing nailed 80mph backed down the M62 though

Edited by MancWanderer

• Members
12 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

Quite like older cars, really not into anything new.. 

Nicest car i've driven was a 1991 Porsche 911, teeny tiny thing that I wouldn't even fit in now. 

But i'd love an old Golf Gti. 

Currently have a 2.0 tdi Passat that i've done 40k miles in 3 years, love it, and have no intention of getting rid. It's actually worth more now than I paid for it. 

Also have a Audi A3 2.0 sport, its 170 bhp till I get Red Hot remaps to have a play around with it, looks like a nice little family car and drives like its on something!

Surprisingly the smoothest drive i've had was an old Rover 75!

I'll not get started on motorbikes, there is a '99 Blade on eBay i'm watching and reckon I can sneak it in before the Wife gets out of hospital.

Right swanny we might have just become best mates

That 911 is perfect 

The GTI is the best car my dad when I was  growing up 

I had a 2.0 A3 that was stage 2 remapped 

Never had a rover 

Mrs doesn’t like me having a scooter no chance of a bike

My first car was my dad's xr2i, white with a thin light blue trim. Only a 1.6 but nippy for a new driver. My second and still going strong is a (08) Honda civic 2.2 tdi sport. 

Bought my first 4WD last year.. A (18) Mitsubishi Outlander, feels a bit slow in the low gears but once I hit 4th it flies. Comfortable, lots of space and ideal for camping, which we do a lot.

• Members
8 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

I like scooters. My oldest brother was a mod so I still fancy one. But I am crap at fixing stuff.

I will own a 911 one day, it is my dream since being about 6 years old.

I fixed my dads old one up, the older it is the easier it is to fix, unfortunately even non running ones are expensive, either for parts or for projects