Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

First Ever Wage Packet.

leigh white

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got about £35 for my first weeks wage back in 1976 & my mam nabbed a tenner of that for my“keeps” as they used to call it. I seem remember it was about 30p a pint at that time. I moved jobs in 1977 and was earning around £100 a week, i still have the ticket stub from 1978 at Old Trafford  when Frankie Worthy ruined them and the ticket price was £1, you could have a really nice time as a kid on £100 a week back then.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

1982, YT fucking S, 25 dabs!!

I got 26.50 as my bus fares were paid

Then they took me on, 57.07 a week at the council

Shouldve stayed there, in hindsight

Tossing it off and getting paid for 45 years...ah, the life of the public sector employee

• Site Supporter

Earning £15 on a Saturday morning at a town centre shop.

Got paid at 12.30, and that was enough to get me on the paddock (£3.30) and about 5 pints in Ben Topps or the Alma.

The rest I scrounged off my mum if it was an away day localish.

• Moderators

first job I had was after leaving school in 93

it was a paper factory in horwich who employed kids on cheap labour and flouted all h&s laws going

was about 95p an hour, lasted about 3 days, but enough to afford a new Bolton top

first proper job was Tesco in Horwich, October 93

£2.56 an hour

by the time I left in 95 was on £4.10, and doing night shifts Sat night so got double on the Sunday - £8.10 an hour felt like I'd won the lottery, plus it meant I could go to the match Sat afternoon

£32 a week at Manders in Kearsley and 3 nights a week behind the bar at Farnworth Vets.

We used to walk across the Moss to the Vulcan on Walkden Road where a pint of Boddies was 25p and we walked up to the Halfway House were it was 24p. A night out for less than £2 including some chips on the way home. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Pot collector at the Beaumont arms,£20 a week

Then Barman at £50 a week when I was old enough 

Who managed it? We used to go in for all nighters on the odd occasion when Steve Oddy ran it.

• Members
50 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Who managed it? We used to go in for all nighters on the odd occasion when Steve Oddy ran it.

Sarah and Anne think Mary was the cook when I was there, then Anne left. 
Had a few all nighters in there on a Saturday night

• Site Supporter

£26.50 on the YTS 

to their credit , I was also paid £18 directly by the company for working on Saturday mornings which felt like I was loaded on pay days the weeks I’d done a Saturday 
worked on Orlando bridge and the yard backed on to the footbridge over the lines , some good secure vantage points watching the going’s on on there as a young lad