First Ever Wage Packet.

leigh white

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

My very first job was as a Butcher at Jollys chicken in Westhoughton, got sacked after about 2 months, was pretty decent with a knife 😉

Paid about 3 dabs more than a YTS.

Once attended a large fire at a creosote factory across the yard. There was a skip with a chute above and every five minutes or so, a gate opened and a dozen or so chicken heads came out. Grim as fuck!

5 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

My old gaff, Sunday League manager 1998 to 2008ish, 10 year stint won fuck all 😁

They had some decent players though, but as with most Sunday teams it was all about the crack.

I know a lot of lads who played for the Beaumont  ,but  maybe a couple of years earlier than your era, i think Peter was managing.

I even turned out for them myself once or twice.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Did some part time work at Radcliffe Road Garage, and got £17.50 (plus a few tips).

Then got a punctured lung and had to pack in. :)

What year was that? My £5 a day was 79-81. Fuming. I had to fill cars with petrol, make brews for the mechanics and valet the second hand cars for sale on the IGW plot. My mate sat in a cabin at the petrol station on St George’s Road in town pulling in £6 a day for working the till and fuck all else

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

What year was that? My £5 a day was 79-81. Fuming. I had to fill cars with petrol, make brews for the mechanics and valet the second hand cars for sale on the IGW plot. My mate sat in a cabin at the petrol station on St George’s Road in town pulling in £6 a day for working the till and fuck all else

Will have been 86/87.

Had to fill cars.

Owner/top manager, a Mr Smythe as I recall, always insisted we served customers quickly and didn't keep folk waiting, and shouldn't get embroiled in anything untoward.

Anyway, one day, this total twat drives in through the exit and reverses into a space at a pump that others were queueing for.

Caused a major rumpus, so I'm trying to explain and apologise to this old couple who were waiting. 

Smythe sees me not serving the twat and walks straight up and forcefully, but politely, asks why I'm not serving him.

I explained what happened and Smythe walks up to him and tells him to do one and never come back. Girls on the till are gobsmacked as the twat is a very regular customer.

Always had time for Smythe after that. A lesson in how to deal with cunts.

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

• Members
1 minute ago, Mr Grey said:

Not been in for a few years, closed down for a bit and re-opened, decent refurb as well. Anyway @Rudywas the shittest glass collector they ever had 😃

They have a face of my pic behind the bar, best glass collector, best winger, shittest pool player 😂

1980 , on £22.50 a week , walking down Newport street near the covered walk up to the market.

Some old bloke (same age as me now) has his wage packet out and drops a £20 note

i  scooped it up and chased after him ,caught him just by the Wheatsheaf handed it to him and the twat didnt even say thank you

41 minutes ago, Rudy said:

They have a face of my pic behind the bar, best glass collector, best winger, shittest pool player 😂

Reminds me of taking a mate in the Breezer's Bar in Morecambe for the first time, he saw the pics behind the bar and said " Fuck me, it look's like a Crimewatch photo " a voice piped up and said i'm on that. We got our ale and sat down quietly.

• Members
11 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Reminds me of taking a mate in the Breezer's Bar in Morecambe for the first time, he saw the pics behind the bar and said " Fuck me, it look's like a Crimewatch photo " a voice piped up and said i'm on that. We got our ale and sat down quietly.

Haha my mate looked at a pic of an owd chap in a pub once and said Jesus do not approach this man, it was the wake photo of the previous landlord and his son was serving us 😄

4 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Haha my mate looked at a pic of an owd chap in a pub once and said Jesus do not approach this man, it was the wake photo of the previous landlord and his son was serving us 😄

I always keep my gob shut in those far off days in strange pubs. ☺️

• Moderators
10 hours ago, freds dad said:

£32 a week at Manders in Kearsley and 3 nights a week behind the bar at Farnworth Vets.

We used to walk across the Moss to the Vulcan on Walkden Road where a pint of Boddies was 25p and we walked up to the Halfway House were it was 24p. A night out for less than £2 including some chips on the way home. 

A night out in horwich at the brown cow was about £10 in 94

£1.50 a pint of labatts

Share 10 embassy no.1 between 2 or 3 at £1.25 a pack

Pool 20p

Juke box 20p

Donner barm £1.50

Karaoke, free

Happy days

• Members
3 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Did he wear chinos and Lonsdales back then? 

He wore a rude cherry shirt on a Blackpool jolly boys once

2 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Probably the only one 😁

I take it back 

Just now, Mr Grey said:

Black Umbro or Mitre boots, not of that predator shite, lad used to turn up in bright red or white Trainers, Rudy probably silver or gold, then trotter on to that muddy pitch, all the same colour after 90 minutes, dark grey mud!

Haha pitch is a stretch more like swamp 

1 minute ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Imagine rudy Chris eagles type

Without the plucked eyebrows