Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Embankment

Underpants

37 minutes ago, bwfc2003 said:

Everton away in League cup semi final - sure that was reported as 20k

According to a couple of Newspaper reports I have from this time , Everton were expecting 15000 Bolton fans for the match at Goodison , and a month later it was reported Everon had sold their entire allocation of 13,750 for the second leg at Burnden Park

1 minute ago, Benny The Ball said:

According to a couple of Newspaper reports I have from this time , Everton were expecting 15000 Bolton fans for the match at Goodison , and a month later it was reported Everon had sold their entire allocation of 13,750 for the second leg at Burnden Park

Think we gave Everton Manny Road North terrace (and I assume seats?) plus 2/3 Embankment leaving Bolton with the smaller section next to Burnden Terrace

1 hour ago, SatanGreavsie said:

One variation on that was asked many moons ago on here: "what's the biggest combined mileage put in by Bolton away fans for a game?". I would guess the answer is the Bayern match? 5k, each doing a nigh-on 2k mile round trip? Fuck me - that's 10 million miles!

We went back in time every time we went to Blackburn

2 hours ago, bwfc2003 said:

Think we gave Everton Manny Road North terrace (and I assume seats?) plus 2/3 Embankment leaving Bolton with the smaller section next to Burnden Terrace

They didn’t get any seats in the Manny Road stand. I was on the back row right opposite the 6 yard line at the north end of the stand

3 hours ago, SatanGreavsie said:

They probably just blended in 🙂

I do remember walking out and on the main road the Fulham fans coach was inching along. Summat must have been said or gestured and Bolton fans ripped open the emergency exit and tried piling in. And I'm thinking, "there's a time and a place lads" - attacking one coach full of the meekest fans in the country a few minutes after promotion and outnumbering them a 1000 to one isn't really one of them. But that was Burnden back then 😄

My main memory of full time other than the pitch invasion was the champagne flowing around in the Manny Road stand. It was an incredible day to be present for a kid like me. 

38 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

My main memory of full time other than the pitch invasion was the champagne flowing around in the Manny Road stand. It was an incredible day to be present for a kid like me. 

Great stuff that Paul 👍.

Closest I got to champagne was tapping an empty bottle into the embankment end goal, dreaming of doing it for real in a match.

Played in a cup final there 5 years later, was saving goals by then though.

Happy days

52 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

My main memory is the town hall steps half an hour after then game. Sure there was a pic posted recently (note, not a pic from  the reception a few days later which is all videod and well documented - anything from the Fulham day is much rarer).

• Site Supporter

Went on lots as a kid when the weather didn't bother me at all, remember the top terrace steps probably two thirds up where the conrete ones finished being stone flags stood up and filled with cinders all varying heights some you couldn't stride up elf un safety would have a field day now .

10 hours ago, paulhanley said:

There aren't many reasons for being glad to be turning in to an owd bugger - but it does mean I am old enough to remember the Embankment. My first memory of it was with just the one set of dividing fences down the middle - home fans on the Manny Road half and away fans on the Burnden Paddock half. Very often though they fastened up some tape to the crush barriers in that away half of the terrace to effectively split it in to three. Then they did split it into three with pucker fencing at the start of 78.9 (I think). 

That middle section wasn't too often used after we fell out of Div 1 in 1980. I remember the game against Leeds in 78.9. Their fans had crammed the normal away third and they opened the gates in the middle section. The Leeds fans all seemed to run on to the middle terrace like a hostile aggressive tide of humanity. 

Most Bolton fans I've seen on there was probably the Fulham when we clinched the Div 2 Championship in 77.78

And of course they occasionally switched things around and put the away fans in the home section... which meant they were next door to those benign and friendly characters in the Manny Road North. Remember the Manny Roaders trying to get over the fence in to the Blackburn fans one festive period game in the early 80s!

I remember being late for the Newcastle game in 1980, 1st home game of season (2 years before the Keegan game).  I was rushing for the Embankment turnstyle, paid to get in and was then confused when we were sent through a ginnel, round the back of the home end into the away end.  I genuinely thought I'd gone in the wrong end for a worrying minute, relieved to get in with the whites fans.  It felt packed, but obviously it was only a third of the terrace, but the atmosphere was great and we won 4-0 with a Kidd hat-trick.

1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I remember being late for the Newcastle game in 1980, 1st home game of season (2 years before the Keegan game).  I was rushing for the Embankment turnstyle, paid to get in and was then confused when we were sent through a ginnel, round the back of the home end into the away end.  I genuinely thought I'd gone in the wrong end for a worrying minute, relieved to get in with the whites fans.  It felt packed, but obviously it was only a third of the terrace, but the atmosphere was great and we won 4-0 with a Kidd hat-trick.

That was the day the Newcastle fans walked out en masse.

4 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

How much would you give to turn the clock back for one night only, where you get up in the morning and someone tells you you're going to Burnden to watch the 2nd leg of a huge cup semi final that's level, there'll be 35k BW fans and 15k away fans, about 90% standing, under the lights.  I can hardly even picture how busy it must have been on Manny Road at 7pm never mind how packed the crowd inside was.  And yes we lost but the pre-match anticipation must have been something else.

Just been sent via Wats App an 11 minute clip of the 1945 North v South cup final.

First 4 mins are off the Embankment and team training for the semi - final against Manchester.

Problem is i do not know how to post it.

I also cannot find it on you .tube

Some clever Young person needs to find it and post it on here.

7 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I think the biggest crowd I was ever on the embankment for, was the semi final Man U v Leeds Utd around 1970. Billy Bremner scored the only goal & the embankment was absolutely rammed.

I was on the embankment that night; also for the 1966 semi final when Everton beat Munich 1-0. Packed like sardines the Everton game

12 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

I was on the embankment that night; also for the 1966 semi final when Everton beat Munich 1-0. Packed like sardines the Everton game

My dad went to that game, he was on the lever end with the Everton fans. There is a picture of Dennis Law missing a sitter in front of a packed embankment, it was in one of the old football encyclopedias. 

19 hours ago, embankment said:

Just been sent via Wats App an 11 minute clip of the 1945 North v South cup final.

First 4 mins are off the Embankment and team training for the semi - final against Manchester.

Problem is i do not know how to post it.

I also cannot find it on you .tube

Some clever Young person needs to find it and post it on here.

Send it someone with a Twitter or youtube accout and theyll upload it. 

@paulhanleycould do it on his YouTube. Id do it on Twitter although it may be too long.