Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Embankment

Underpants

4 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Always had 28k in my head

Aye, me too. I'm following a discussion on a FB page about big terraces. Charlton seem to have the bragging rights but their terrace runs down the side of the pitch so it would naturally be longer.

Edited by Underpants

For the life of me I cant imagine 70k cramming into Burnden.  The biggest crowds I was part of were Spurs/Fulham in 77-78, about 33,000 and it seemed absolutely packed.  But I know there were 50k for the Everton semi and surely that was the absolute maximum at the time?  I think the fact that the average height/weight of a human has reduced over the decades has to be a factor.  If they were calculating capacity for Burnden now there's no way they'd be suggesting 70k, nearer 50k I bet.

1 hour ago, Underpants said:

What was the capacity of the Embankment in its pomp? Seen some pictures from back in the day and it looks rammed. Just to clarify I'm talking about the Embankment terrace at BP and not the chubby poster on here.

Put ya fishing rod away .

I was on for the Everton game and it was packed. 
24366 was its maximum capacity .

This was slightly reduced when the Bovril Bar was built and the River Caves extended . ( top left hand corner) . Capacity was then 23297 . It remained at this for along time.

The scoreboard was capable of holding 5 people . But only had 2 viewing hatches.

It was a bad day when the concrete segregation was installed and away fans were allowed in 1third of it .

It was a travesty when Normid was built on it. 
It was without doubt the finest open air terrace in the North and North West of England.

Yep I had dust in my eyes when I walked away from it for the last time.

Just now, Mr Grey said:

And dont forget those trains that used to stop at the back for a cheeky free view, I reckon a couple of hundred could be added.

Woah - think about it , The Cab is raised up from the carriages. So only the driver and fireman could see over the concrete wall.

Get ya bloody facts reet !!

46 minutes ago, embankment said:

This was slightly reduced when the Bovril Bar was built and the River Caves extended . ( top left hand corner) . Capacity was then 23297 . It remained at this for along time.

The scoreboard was capable of holding 5 people . But only had 2 viewing hatches.

It was a bad day when the concrete segregation was installed and away fans were allowed in 1third of it .

It was without doubt the finest open air terrace in the North and North West of England.

Strange he didnt bite about the chubby reference

46 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Pissing myself laughing here 🤣🤣🤣

Were you being serious ? 😏

I was going to say it in jest, then when I thought about it, how could it not be a factor?  In 1954, average weight of a Brit was 11st 6, and 34 inch waist.  Now its 12st 6, waist 37, so fair to assume in early 1900s the gap was even bigger.  50k people stood on terraces in 1910 may have needed 20% less space than 50k in 2000!  How else can you explain Burnden holding 70k? Take it or leave it, no charge for this analysis 😀  

1 hour ago, embankment said:

Too right.  I initially thought other terraces might be as good eg Forest, Arsenal, Palace, Huddersfield - but when visiting them, realised they wern't a patch on th'Embankment.

It was great when it was packed, although that was rare in my time, but even when there was only a few thousand on there it was a cracking place to watch a game.

Just now, Mr Grey said:

And only those counted at the turnstiles, official attendance, many more non-payer, underneath turnstiles, over the embankment and a few war tunnels. Add another 10 to 15k, all slim fuckers mind and all smokers.

85000+ in the ground .

Was reported when disaster struck.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, embankment said:

26 minutes ago, embankment said:

1933 .

28,087 on for the City game.

All slim buggers

18 minutes ago, embankment said:

1933 .

28,087 on for the City game.

All slim buggers

19785 on the Lever End same day

Unsurprisingly seems to be the expert on all things the Embankment. 👏

Went there regularly in early/mid eighties, as a kid at the front. Then never went there again until the last game V Charlton. Great memories 

1 minute ago, Mr Grey said:

That was the case for most grounds in that era, even in the late 80's and early 90's at Burnden, the official crowd was way below what it actually was.

some folks must have made some brass out of football in those days 

instead of footballers making some brass like nowadays

2 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

That was the case for most grounds in that era, even in the late 80's and early 90's at Burnden, the official crowd was way below what it actually was.

As opposed to current times when the official crowd is exaggerated, based on season tickets purchased, many by fans that have no intention of attending every game.  And the freebie and cheap tickets that are thrown around and might be used or not, no such thing in the pre-all seater stadium days.