Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pubs and Clubs

Burndens Bogs

• Members
2 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Monroes/dancers/touch of class in little lever. Only place I’ve ever known with an ambulance parked outside on a weekend. 
wasnt for the feint hearted that place and certainly not for outsiders 

Touch a crotch you mean 😂 before my time but I've heard the stories 😂

1 hour ago, miamiwhite said:

Stag's Head on Daubhill for me. It had everything going on in there and from there.

Endless amount of headcases in there but all very friendly.

New Year's Eve in there was stupendously busy especially in the early 80's when I first went in.

Stags on Daubhill & Stags Deane were both great pubs and both no longer with us.

Monday nights round Deane in mid 80s was bouncing.

6 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

Touch a crotch you mean 😂 before my time but I've heard the stories 😂

Aye that was one of the other names it was known as. Some place it’s was I’m telling you. Was so good. Pub crawl round the village and then into there. 

my dad caught me dropping two e’s in there so I told him I had bad indigestion from the lager in the workies and it was rennies 🤣luckily he left before my jaw starting doing gymnastics. 

27 minutes ago, Nowack said:

Which was "Sparrows" I can remember going every week for around a year but all I can remember is the name. Where it was or what it was like is a complete blank. 

Downstairs on Mawdsley St.......previously Sundowners & before that Cellar Vie. Sundowners was good if a little rough & more of a late drinking dive than a club. It became a bit neither one thing or another, dive or club, as Sparrows. 

Sparrow put it about that he was backed by the Quality St lot from Manchester but nobody took him seriously.

• Site Supporter

Fuck all to do with Bolton but the best club I ever went in was in Newcastle in the 1980s. Tuxedo Junction I think it was called. Every table had a phone which could be used for waitress service or to ring another table. Apparently, my Bolton accent was “cute” and phone was rattling away all night.

Pub - Howcroft. So many decent nights in there. Also a shout for The Ainsworth from my time living in Smithills. I used to know quite a few of the folk BB knew in there so we probably spoke at some point

Club - Hawthorns - was a regular in there when Chicago House first hit the scene and it was a superb night. Met the first Mrs Manc in there

5 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

You’re not wrong there NIC, when I lived in the area it was like a comfy old pair of slippers - a bit tired & worn out, but very comforting and homely.

Yeah, knownwhat you mean. Just to work there as a kid. Really loved it when I went back, even the smell. Like you say, just nice being back. 

Monteraze. Half way from work and home back in the day. Too convenient. Loved match days at Burnden. (and a few away days including Ireland pre-season) Many business lunches. Roy, Barbara, Jimmy, Liz and all the people I met there. Loved you all. 
It’s a dentist now.

😃

The Brooklyn - it was largely shite for the best part of twenty years but I've a hunch Lord's College are just there to put daylight between pub and either A. Madrassa or, much much worse, B. Some jiggery pokery to kill off the trees and then a Water's Edge style newbuild estate - the site is huge, a developer would make a packet if it wasn't for pesky protection orders.

Another vote for Sankey's Soap. Everyone up for it, Electric Chair too - though that was a night not a club but been to gigs and plain old nights (in both Jilly's/Rockworld) at their main venue...

I'd say Sparrows but it used to be a sausage-fest, many bad memories of going home empty-handed, serves me right I suppose being about fifteen.

Me and my mates had to smuggle cans of Wifebeater or Miller Pilsner in to stretch our budgets. We'd refill our pints in the gents and sling the empties up onto the false ceiling through a missing panel.

Two of three of us doing this every week for about two years.

An older mate was helping Dougie Sparrow with the long-needed refurb. He told us when they removed the false ceiling about two thousand empty cans rained down on them. 😃

We used to mix it up with Hawthorns by then.

First time I took a younger mate in (Sparrows) I told him to keep a low profile in a quiet corner and I'd go to the bar for us etc. - I go for a piss and return to see him being cheered on by half the club whilst riding that mechanical bull, bottle of 'dog' in hand...He never looked back - darling of the place from then on in.

Dougie would constantly threaten to bar us for smoking pipes of hash in the bogs - one time catching us for about the tenth time that evening, after we'd swore we'd stop it nine times, and a mate exhaled a huge plume of pure dope smoke into his face whilst saying "Hiya, Dougie!" 😀

I'll change my vote to Sparrows actually.

It was like the best youth club in the world.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

20 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

😃

The Brooklyn - it was largely shite for the best part of twenty years but I've a hunch Lord's College are just there to put daylight between pub and either A. Madrassa or, much much worse, B. Some jiggery pokery to kill off the trees and then a Water's Edge style newbuild estate - the site is huge, a developer would make a packet if it wasn't for pesky protection orders.

Another vote for Sankey's Soap. Everyone up for it, Electric Chair too - though that was a night not a club but been to gigs and plain old nights (in both Jilly's/Rockworld) at their main venue...

I'd say Sparrows but it used to be a sausage-fest, many bad memories of going home empty-handed, serves me right I suppose being about fifteen.

Me and my mates had to smuggle cans of Wifebeater or Miller Pilsner in to stretch our budgets. We'd refill our pints in the gents and sling the empties up onto the false ceiling through a missing panel.

Two of three of us doing this every week for about two years.

An older mate was helping Dougie Sparrow with the long-needed refurb. He told us when they removed the false ceiling about two thousand empty cans rained down on them. 😃

We used to mix it up with Hawthorns by then.

First time I took a younger mate in (Sparrows) I told him to keep a low profile in a quiet corner and I'd go to the bar for us etc. - I go for a piss and return to see him being cheered on by half the club whilst riding that mechanical bull, bottle of 'dog' in hand...He never looked back - darling of the place from then on in.

Dougie would constantly threaten to bar us for smoking pipes of hash in the bogs - one time catching us for about the tenth time that evening, after we'd swore we'd stop it nine times, and a mate exhaled a huge plume of pure dope smoke into his face whilst saying "Hiya, Dougie!" 😀

I'll change my vote to Sparrows actually.

It was like the best youth club in the world.

I saw Brooklyn. I read the other bit and then 🤷‍♂️
I’ve probably been in the Brooklyn more than any other pub. I had 2 Aunties who lived a few hundred yards either side of it. So my experience goes back 40 odd years.  It was always a clique type of pub. Some great nights upstairs though in the function room.

The free coaches to Blackpool Mecca from Tyldesley market every Saturday in 71-74. your was always guaranteed a fight in the venue or picking up some slapper from Glasgow. The coach home was some buzzard giving you a wank under a coat or a full blown shag on a disused railway embankment when you landed back.

@Boby Brno

Grew up over the road - any neighbours' had any reason for a party and the function rooms and a disco booming out long after last orders was the default, with everyone invited...Can remember being at these do's from a very young age with other kids - way past our bedtime. Good times. Last time me and a load of other lads went up was after Brazil knocked out England 2002 - we'd watched it at a mate's and popped in to whet our whistles before marching on town. There was a wake on upstairs and one of the mourners invited us all up for a drink and to help out with the buffet, they didn't know us from adam but we toned it down a bit - they were more rambunctious than us 😆

It was our playground as kids - we used to sit sniffing the beery fumes coming out of that box vent counting down the years until we could go in alone. We used to sneak in to stick branches up the johnny machine and nick boxes of durex in the gents - fuck knows why, they'd have been almost a decade out of date before they'd have seen use. We'd sneak into the ladies powder room and hide under this curtained counter they sat at to do their makeup - little perverts.

Football on the lawns - kickout ball, tree swings, conkering etc.

Good times in there - man and boy 😀

3 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

@Boby Brno

Grew up over the road - any neighbours' had any reason for a party and the function rooms and a disco booming out long after last orders was the default, with everyone invited...Can remember being at these do's from a very young age with other kids - way past our bedtime. Good times. Last time me and a load of other lads went up was after Brazil knocked out England 2002 - we'd watched it at a mate's and popped in to whet our whistles before marching on town. There was a wake on upstairs and one of the mourners invited us all up for a drink and to help out with the buffet, they didn't know us from adam but we toned it down a bit - they were more rambunctious than us 😆

It was our playground as kids - we used to sit sniffing the beery fumes coming out of that box vent counting down the years until we could go in alone. We used to sneak in to stick branches up the johnny machine and nick boxes of durex in the gents - fuck knows why, they'd have been almost a decade out of date before they'd have seen use. We'd sneak into the ladies powder room and hide under this curtained counter they sat at to do their makeup - little perverts.

Football on the lawns - kickout ball, tree swings, conkering etc.

Good times in there - man and boy 😀

My Auntie and Uncle lived in the second house up Green Lane from the Brooklyn , no. 44? after Greenland Rd. It’s now part of the first house and is an old people’s home. Every Christmas Eve was spent there from the mid sixties. It was a special house with special people that had the most influence on my life.

@Boby Brno

My mam and dad knew them well - my late old man was a painter and decorater and would do their house. They were a really nice couple - they always good to the neighbourhood kids. We in turn were always respectful addressing them as 'Mister' * and Mrs. *

Your uncle wore sunglasses type prescription glasses, full head of wavy black hair.  And they had a large (to us) black curly schnauzer poodle type dog (dogs perhaps? or the same dog lived a good innings) - name of Roly?

The Collins family bought their house, you're right, I think new regulations came in that nursing homes must have a lift and there was no room in the Old Vicarage. They joined the two buildings and put the shaft (ooer) in the join.

Plus they wanted to extend - license to print money then and now. They went from a terrace in the neighbourhood to a detached on Chorley New and a Ford Fiesta to a top range Mercedes in the blink of an eye. My late mam quit Townleys to go and work there and my old man used to do all the interior and exterior work there too. Used to shit myself seeing him at the very top of a triple extension doing Greenlands' outside when I was playing out. No-one would touch it without scaffolding today. They were a really friendly couple your uncle and aunt and real fixtures of the neighbourhood. Their dog too.

Alma has just been sold and earmarked for demolition apparently - for this Wayne Walker site White elephant to have more room.

Bear's Paw still there - was called Brass Cat last time I was a town regular, which dates me.

Millstone still there though you can't cut through from Crown Street to Bank Street anymore, nor access from Bank Street.

They have AA and NA meetings in a Church Hall next door 😃

10 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

My mam and dad knew them well - my late old man was a painter and decorater and would do their house. They were a really nice couple - they always good to the neighbourhood kids. We in turn were always respectful addressing them as 'Mister' * and Mrs. *

Your uncle wore sunglasses type prescription glasses, full head of wavy black hair.  And they had a large (to us) black curly schnauzer poodle type dog (dogs perhaps? or the same dog lived a good innings) - name of Roly?

The Collins family bought their house, you're right, I think new regulations came in that nursing homes must have a lift and there was no room in the Old Vicarage.

Plus they wanted to extend - license to print money then and now. They went from a terrace in the neighbourhood to a detached on Chorley New and a Ford Fiesta to a top range Mercedes in the blink of an eye. My old man used to do all the interior and exterior work there too. Used to shit myself seeing him at the very top of a triple extension doing Greenlands' outside. No-one would touch it without scaffolding today. They were a really nice couple your uncle and aunt.

Ha!  Sounds about right. My Uncle Walt was in Italy during the war. Fought with the Americans. Came back home and opened a grocers in Farnworth in Brackley St. called Buddy’s. Because the yanks always called him that. Sold up and then traded in antiques. They always had poodle type dog’s. One was called Aundrey. No idea why. Can’t remember the others.

He had the look of a mafia boss and the sunglasses added to it. 

Interestingly, they never locked the front door. I would call up many times and just walk in. Sometimes they would be in, many times they would be out. If they were out, I’d make a cup of tea and then leave. Different times.

There is a castor oil tree in the front garden. I have a tree in my garden that came from a cutting that was planted in my first house in Adlington, then a cutting in my second house in Adlington, then a cutting in my next house in Farnworth and finally it’s now a big tree in my current house in Farnworth.

Clubs. May of may not be in order of preference.

Civic Hall Walkden

Uncle Toms Cabin little Hulton

Palais Bolton

VA Va Bolton

Pips Manchester

Cranberry Fair Darwen

Highland Room, Blackpool Mecca

Twisted Wheel Manchester. 

Lots of others but none that could compare.

3 hours ago, Boby Brno said:

Monteraze. Half way from work and home back in the day. Too convenient. Loved match days at Burnden. (and a few away days including Ireland pre-season) Many business lunches. Roy, Barbara, Jimmy, Liz and all the people I met there. Loved you all. 
It’s a dentist now.

Used to see you and your sister in there on game day, didn’t know she was your sister back then, great days.