Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pubs and Clubs

Burndens Bogs

Crown and Cshion was our band's home for a good few years. We used to appear from the doors at the back of the stage like it was wembly 

Also got a 4 K review in Kerrang! We were described as like the goo goo dolls!

Don't know about Green Day, saw Sultans of Ping there though. Where's Me Jumper?

Edited by Not in Crawley

59 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Rumour mid 90s always was Green Day played Crown and Cushion before they broke through with Dookie 

Probably not true but back then you just had to go with it

D.R.I. released a video of a gig filmed 1987 at The New York Ritz.

This passed into legend that they booked Ritzy as a venue on a UK tour but cancelled as no-one turned up. Utter bollocks but bizarre to think they did stop off at The Alma for a gig inbetween a gig in Manc and Rebellion in Blackpool - I was really ill the night of the gig but I wouldn't have missed it for the world. I had to bail out shortly before the end before I collapsed. It was bizarre walking up Trinity to the live strains of one of my favourite childhood bands - surreal.

The Crown and Flick allegedly hosted a gig by Bay Area thrash band Death Angel - another urban myth.

I believe Primal Scream and The Charlatans actually did play gigs there for real.

Green Day definitely played Wigan Bus Drivers' Club - I've still got the flyer and knew people who went.

Iirc Wigan's Nightmare Visions headlined, the other band being Bolton's own Raging Kipper and I'd have to dig out the flyer but I'm sure Green Day were bottom of the bill.

3 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

D.R.I. released a video of a gig filmed 1987 at The New York Ritz.

This passed into legend that they booked Ritzy as a venue on a UK tour but cancelled as no-one turned up. Utter bollocks but bizarre to think they did stop off at The Alma for a gig inbetween a gig in Manc and Rebellion in Blackpool - I was really ill the night of the gig but I wouldn't have missed it for the world. I had to bail out shortly before the end before I collapsed. It was bizarre walking up Trinity to the live strains of one of my favourite childhood bands - surreal.

The Crown and Flick allegedly hosted a gig by Bay Area thrash band Death Angel - another urban myth.

I believe Primal Scream and The Charlatans actually did play gigs there for real.

Green Day definitely played Wigan Bus Drivers' Club - I've still got the flyer and knew people who went.

Iirc Wigan's Nightmare Visions headlined, the other band being Bolton's own Raging Kipper and I'd have to dig out the flyer but I'm sure Green Day were bottom of the bill.

Raging Kipper - now they were crap. There was also a metal band around the same time with the guitar bloke from Booths in them. Again, another one of Kent's old workplaces.

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

Sorry not crown and cushion - meant The Old Three Crowns.

I think everyone who was 'indie' that was base camp. Friday nights from afternoon onward it'd be rammed - the beer garden would be full even in the depths of winter. Had a good jukebox, as did The Blue Boar - but the Olde Three wasn't full of dibble and grasses.

2 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I think everyone who was 'indie' that was base camp. Friday nights from afternoon onward it'd be rammed - the beer garden would be full even in the depths of winter. Had a good jukebox, as did The Blue Boar - but the Olde Three wasn't full of dibble and grasses.

The place was the reason I mucked up my A-levels. Nursing a pint from about 1 onwards on a friday playing pool.

11 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Raging Kipper - now they were crap. There was also a metal band around the same time with the guitar bloke from Booths in them. Again, another one of Kent's old workplaces.

Wasn't that Dirty Tryx?

Another crap band name to join those on those flyers.

I'd forgot Oscar's was like a sister pub to Hawthorns. Another place that was a dive - stank of damp but another place with a Monopoly machine for me to empty and half decent pints of Löwenbrau on offer fairly cheap. It was the go-to bar for besuited professionals who were also incorrigible pisscans - probably because there was less chance of being spotted.

Raging Kipper weren't very good but Dogger was very much in demand being one of a about three half decent drummers in a ten mile radius.

He did the mural on the stairwell of the 'new' X-Records and a flyer for our 'zine.

• Members
8 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Hand on heart a lad I know thought they were a band and once said they must be good because of how often they were on.

😂 That’s like Anthony in Royle Family when he called his band EXIT because everywhere they go their name will be in lights

16 minutes ago, Rudy said:

T.B.C 

Thats a shit band name 

'Have you booked your X-Mas Meal yet?' got signed to Sony alongside Carcass when the majors jumped on the death metal bandwagon - only for grunge and black metal's new wave to appear and derail said bandwagon. Their LP never saw the light of day but the few white labels knocking about of 'Turkey and All The Trimmings - £9' are worth a packet now.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

16 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Wasn't that Dirty Tryx?

Another crap band name to join those on those flyers.

I'd forgot Oscar's was like a sister pub to Hawthorns. Another place that was a dive - stank of damp but another place with a Monopoly machine for me to empty and half decent pints of Löwenbrau on offer fairly cheap. It was the go-to bar for besuited professionals who were also incorrigible pisscans - probably because there was less chance of being spotted.

Raging Kipper weren't very good but Dogger was very much in demand being one of a about three half decent drummers in a ten mile radius.

He did the mural on the stairwell of the 'new' X-Records and a flyer for our 'zine.

Dirty Tryx- thats them, got blagged into buying one of their cassettes in Booths!

Played Oscars as well to about four people. Was like a carpeted dungeon.

@Not in Crawley

I think everyone who darkened the door of Booths or X-Records was given the hard sell for a copy of Rough Ride/Waitin' 7"/cassingle.

There was another bloke worked in Booths played the bass - was about two years of buying my strings there before I twigged he had a false arm - complete with plectrum slot cut into the hand.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

59 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

@Not in Crawley

I think everyone who darkened the door of Booths or X-Records was given the hard sell for a copy of Rough Ride/Waitin' 7"/cassingle.

There was another bloke worked in Booths played the bass - was about two years of buying my strings there before I twigged he had a false arm - complete with plectrum slot cut into the hand.

I remember him, was dead impressed until I walked into my music class on the first day of my degree and there was a guitarist with a hook for a hand! He was waaaaaaaay better than me.

1 hour ago, Youri McAnespie said:

@Not in Crawley

The gentleman in question owns Booths.

He is a cracking lad, i was with him on the day he unfortunately lost his hand. ( Aged 11/12)

We were both messing about with old firworks.

I nipped home for something , by the time i got back he was in hospital.

5 minutes ago, embankment said:

The gentleman in question owns Booths.

He is a cracking lad, i was with him on the day he unfortunately lost his hand. ( Aged 11/12)

We were both messing about with old firworks.

I nipped home for something , by the time i got back he was in hospital.

Andy was it? Might be wrong. Is booths still going?

3 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

3 Fat Bastards rings a bell, anybody see them play?

watched those lads all around Bolton but the best nights were in Oscars i remember one night them taking to the stage and they had a mate up there with them, al a Bez

he was dancing bollock naked in front of a packed crowd with just a first ww german helmet over his todger