Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pubs and Clubs

Burndens Bogs

10 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Salford Jets? Were they actually a thing? Got a mate who used to be in them.

They were good , 

Gina

Who you looking at !

Unfortunately just as they had started to pull the fans in . Punk Rock took off in London. At the exactly the same time as they got a residency at the Marque .

Sank without trace , came back up North.

Had a decent circuit - Duke of Welly - Bulls Head Walkden - Aquarius - Witchwood and a pub near Bell Vue.

always a good night.

Sweeny was a good front man

Blightys and then the Pleasure Dome .

Then 

Chuffers !! 

Now that was a venue.

Supporters Club even had their end of season piss up.there . 

Chicken in a basket whilst watching Georgie Fame .

Slade played there.

Farnworth muppets very protective over their women folk.

Sticky bloody carpets .

Last time i went was to watch Sandy Holt and his enterage .

8 hours ago, Traf said:

Was Sequins upstairs above somewhere else?

It was bang opposite central pier where they have that tacky closing down sale shop thing, bloke selling knock off stuff in height of summer.

It was all part of that building then in later years it was just the club upstairs. Saw m-zone there and did a couple of wigan pier nights there, when it was called summet daft like fusion or summet.

Heard it was ace in Oz and shaboo where DJ sasha started his career. Born ten years too late me.

Nice write up on sequins/Blackpool here on olipoli

"In Praise of… Blackpool – Oi Polloi" https://www.oipolloi.com/blogs/the-blog/in-praise-of-blackpool

• Site Supporter
On 28/11/2020 at 18:32, Youri McAnespie said:

@Boby Brno

Grew up over the road - any neighbours' had any reason for a party and the function rooms and a disco booming out long after last orders was the default, with everyone invited...Can remember being at these do's from a very young age with other kids - way past our bedtime. Good times. Last time me and a load of other lads went up was after Brazil knocked out England 2002 - we'd watched it at a mate's and popped in to whet our whistles before marching on town. There was a wake on upstairs and one of the mourners invited us all up for a drink and to help out with the buffet, they didn't know us from adam but we toned it down a bit - they were more rambunctious than us 😆

It was our playground as kids - we used to sit sniffing the beery fumes coming out of that box vent counting down the years until we could go in alone. We used to sneak in to stick branches up the johnny machine and nick boxes of durex in the gents - fuck knows why, they'd have been almost a decade out of date before they'd have seen use. We'd sneak into the ladies powder room and hide under this curtained counter they sat at to do their makeup - little perverts.

Football on the lawns - kickout ball, tree swings, conkering etc.

Good times in there - man and boy 😀

Youri, clear your inbox

Wigan Pier on Friday nights used to be incredible when I was 17.  Absolutely off my nut, then back to Haigh Hall for a couple of hours after and then my mates would drop me off at Bolton Market for my Saturday job at 6:30am.  No wonder I got pneumonia :)  Happy days.

Went once on a Saturday night because Love Decade were doing a live set.  Completely different vibe to the night, never went again on a Saturday.

13 hours ago, Dimron said:

it was the Golden Lion in my time!

Remember chatting up a lass in the Chip Inn next to the Boars at the end of a night. Told her I worked on the rigs as an underwater bricklayer togged up in a diving suit putting the footings in. Her mate asked my pal what he did, he replied he was my hod carrier 🙂

Dunno why but I'd insinuate I was a chef at a swanky restaurant when I was younger - I'd also claim I played for Marine for some bizarre reason.

They were sort of quarter-truths.

Chip-Inn before my time, related to Sandwich-Inn?

3 hours ago, gonzo said:

It was bang opposite central pier where they have that tacky closing down sale shop thing, bloke selling knock off stuff in height of summer.

It was all part of that building then in later years it was just the club upstairs. Saw m-zone there and did a couple of wigan pier nights there, when it was called summet daft like fusion or summet.

Heard it was ace in Oz and shaboo where DJ sasha started his career. Born ten years too late me.

"In Praise of… Blackpool – Oi Polloi" https://www.oipolloi.com/blogs/the-blog/in-praise-of-blackpool

I just remember going upstairs to it. Used to go with a lad whose dad ran a big Greenalls boozer facing the train station.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Wigan Pier on Friday nights used to be incredible when I was 17.  Absolutely off my nut, then back to Haigh Hall for a couple of hours after and then my mates would drop me off at Bolton Market for my Saturday job at 6:30am.  No wonder I got pneumonia :)  Happy days.

Went once on a Saturday night because Love Decade were doing a live set.  Completely different vibe to the night, never went again on a Saturday.

Used to have a very long bar along the back wall which was opened up according to number of folk in the club. All the pumps were ‘live’ though which meant free drinks for the brave.

1 minute ago, MickyD said:

Used to have a very long bar along the back wall which was opened up according to number of folk in the club. All the pumps were ‘live’ though which meant free drinks for the brave.

Can honestly say I never had an alcoholic drink in there,

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, gonzo said:

I was just a few years too young for Sequins, had the last night at Sequins on my walkman constantly!

still love it. 

I miss The Temple. Loved it there. Some outstanding nights. 

Oh and The Tavern! 

Edited by superjohnmcginlay
Missed the Tavern

1 minute ago, superjohnmcginlay said:

I was just a few years too young for Sequins, had the last night at Sequins on my walkman constantly!

still love it. 

I miss The Temple. Loved it there. Some outstanding nights. 

Temple was brill for a while but they fucked things up for themselves early on.  They'd not let folk in who they deemed as not looking smart enough ffs.

It's like they wanted a 'rave' club but for everyone to be dressed like they were going into Ritzy.  Massive shame.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, DazBob said:

Temple was brill for a while but they fucked things up for themselves early on.  They'd not let folk in who they deemed as not looking smart enough ffs.

It's like they wanted a 'rave' club but for everyone to be dressed like they were going into Ritzy.  Massive shame.

that happened to me and some mates as students in sheffield around 98

queued for ages to get in The Republic, bouncers constantly going up and down the line checking out folk, but waited till we got to the front before saying "sorry lads, no checked shirts"

31 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

that happened to me and some mates as students in sheffield around 98

queued for ages to get in The Republic, bouncers constantly going up and down the line checking out folk, but waited till we got to the front before saying "sorry lads, no cowboy boots"

8 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Dunno why but I'd insinuate I was a chef at a swanky restaurant when I was younger - I'd also claim I played for Marine for some bizarre reason.

They were sort of quarter-truths.

Chip-Inn before my time, related to Sandwich-Inn?

Probably, used to walk past the pictures and the Chip Inn was on the left near the Boars not far from the Sandwich and Pastie shops

There was a new office block further along where we used to sit on the steps, eat our fodder and talk the usual rubbish

22 hours ago, embankment said:

Duke of Welly .

Salford Jets - Wrestling and a Stripper .

Thursday nights .

They don’t do pubs like that anymore.

And that was all on the same night.

Salford Jets had a weekly slot there

Oh yes did many a Thursday night up there, pendlebury miners & duke of welly I think, stripper , band, comedian, can’t remember the wrestling. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

42 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Hawthorns is a good shout for me, honourable mention for Student Night at Ritzy though as used to love a Tuesday night around town.

Tuesday night in the Nocturne under the Palais was student/heavy/misfits night with draft Double Diamond... permanent brain damage guaranteed. Girlfriend preferred Scamps so I was expert at both kinds of dancing: rock and roll.

3 hours ago, Dimron said:Girlfriend preferred Scamps so I was expert at both kinds of dancing: rock and roll.

It had it’s day in the sun did Scamps - late 70’s - early 80’s, used to get some nice Bolton girlies in there, then they all fucked off and started going to Bennys & M/cr. 

I believe its not shut, but for a good few years the Crown and Cushion was our place to be. There, then down to Hawthorns. Started off going to the Blue Boar but was a bit shit. Place near the Bass Cat (can't remember its name now) was ok for a bit. Never went down Deansgate or anywhere you needed to wear shoes to get in. 

@Not in Crawley

I assume you're joking about The Crown and Flick? Unless there's been a long-delayed Lazarus rise from death recently - it's shut and semi-derelict, same as it's been the past fifteen years. Before it's demise it was rebooted as 'The Quill and Pen' or sommat like that - minus the snooker hall and trying to do pub grub - didn't last long, who wants to eat on the 1st floor of a gaff renowned for being seedy?

The Blue Boar was always filled with undercover Tosh Lines-alike plod and deadleg wrong 'uns, a mate was being indiscrete in there once with some Rainbow Crystals and, after leaving for Hawthorns he got tugged before he'd even walked past West End Chippy. It did have a Monopoly machine that I could rinse (as did the C+F snooker hall, The Cattle Market and The Hogshead) but that was its only saving grace.

I liked Barristers - they did pints of Becks...

Name another pub - technically on the same road that also did Becks on draft?

Edited by Youri McAnespie

2 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

@Not in Crawley

I assume you're joking about The Crown and Flick? Unless there's been a long-delayed Lazarus rise from death recently - it's shut and semi-derelict, same as it's been the past fifteen years. Before it's demise it was rebooted as 'The Quill and Pen' or sommat like that - minus the snooker hall and trying to do pub grub - didn't last long, who wants to eat on the 1st floor of a gaff renowned for being seedy?

The Blue Boar was always filled with undercover Tosh Lines-alike plod and deadleg wrong 'uns, a mate was being indiscrete in there once with some Rainbow Crystals and, after leaving for Hawthorns he got tugged before he'd even walked past West End Chippy. It did have a Monopoly machine that I could rinse (as did the C+F snooker hall, The Cattle Market and The Hogshead) but that was its only saving grace.

I liked Barristers - they did pints of Becks...

Name another pub - technically on the same road that also did Becks on draft?

Sorry not crown and cushion - meant The Old Three Crowns.