Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Black Bull (now Il Toro) The landlord used to let us stay as long as we wanted, so we drank and played pool till whenever we ran out of money

Oh and Nibblers Best door policy ever "Are you 18?" "No" "In you go, If the cops come hide in the toilets"

😃 The Brooklyn - it was largely shite for the best part of twenty years but I've a hunch Lord's College are just there to put daylight between pub and either A. Madrassa or, much much worse, B. S

4 hours ago, Whitestar said:

Yes he's a DMB but I've always liked Sweeney.

Great band live back in the day.

Used to watch  Salford Jets around 1979/80 ish at some boozer in Swinton (Duke of Welly?) 

Decent enough live, sort of a placcy post punk band, but they didn't take themselves too seriously.

Sweeney was always a good laugh.

"Gina,( Oh Yeh ) I've got a Cortina"

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
28 minutes ago, Casino said:

Upeermill, i think

Ill find out in the morning

Scholes lives round there, too

You could well be right. I’ve appeared with my choir a couple of times and Sweeney has been there and afterwards in the pub each time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/11/2020 at 19:55, Youri McAnespie said:

Alma has just been sold and earmarked for demolition apparently - for this Wayne Walker site White elephant to have more room.

Bear's Paw still there - was called Brass Cat last time I was a town regular, which dates me.

Millstone still there though you can't cut through from Crown Street to Bank Street anymore, nor access from Bank Street.

They have AA and NA meetings in a Church Hall next door 😃

 

it was the Golden Lion in my time!

Remember chatting up a lass in the Chip Inn next to the Boars at the end of a night. Told her I worked on the rigs as an underwater bricklayer togged up in a diving suit putting the footings in. Her mate asked my pal what he did, he replied he was my hod carrier 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Used to watch  Salford Jets around 1979/80 ish at some boozer in Swinton (Duke of Welly?) 

Decent enough live, sort of a placcy post punk band, but they didn't take themselves too seriously.

Sweeney was always a good laugh.

"Gina,( Oh Yeh ) I've got a Cortina"

Duke of Welly .

Salford Jets - Wrestling and a Stripper .

Thursday nights .

They don’t do pubs like that anymore.

And that was all on the same night.

Salford Jets had a weekly slot there

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
35 minutes ago, Dimron said:

it was the Golden Lion in my time!

Remember chatting up a lass in the Chip Inn next to the Boars at the end of a night. Told her I worked on the rigs as an underwater bricklayer togged up in a diving suit putting the footings in. Her mate asked my pal what he did, he replied he was my hod carrier 🙂

For some reason when chatting up birds in my younger days i told them i made aeroplane wings but it always impressed

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Salford Jets? Were they actually a thing? Got a mate who used to be in them.

They were good , 

Gina

Who you looking at !

Unfortunately just as they had started to pull the fans in . Punk Rock took off in London. At the exactly the same time as they got a residency at the Marque .

Sank without trace , came back up North.

Had a decent circuit - Duke of Welly - Bulls Head Walkden - Aquarius - Witchwood and a pub near Bell Vue.

always a good night.

Sweeny was a good front man

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Traf said:

Was Sequins upstairs above somewhere else?

Not that I recall pal. Was some gaff. Used to go up on the most random nights often in the back of a van. Quality place. 
 

maximes Wigan was also quality 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Blightys and then the Pleasure Dome .

Then 

Chuffers !! 

Now that was a venue.

Supporters Club even had their end of season piss up.there . 

Chicken in a basket whilst watching Georgie Fame .

Slade played there.

 

Farnworth muppets very protective over their women folk.

Sticky bloody carpets .

Last time i went was to watch Sandy Holt and his enterage .

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Traf said:

Was Sequins upstairs above somewhere else?

It was bang opposite central pier where they have that tacky closing down sale shop thing, bloke selling knock off stuff in height of summer.

It was all part of that building then in later years it was just the club upstairs. Saw m-zone there and did a couple of wigan pier nights there, when it was called summet daft like fusion or summet.

Heard it was ace in Oz and shaboo where DJ sasha started his career. Born ten years too late me.

Nice write up on sequins/Blackpool here on olipoli

"In Praise of… Blackpool – Oi Polloi" https://www.oipolloi.com/blogs/the-blog/in-praise-of-blackpool

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
On 28/11/2020 at 18:32, Youri McAnespie said:

@Boby Brno

Grew up over the road - any neighbours' had any reason for a party and the function rooms and a disco booming out long after last orders was the default, with everyone invited...Can remember being at these do's from a very young age with other kids - way past our bedtime. Good times. Last time me and a load of other lads went up was after Brazil knocked out England 2002 - we'd watched it at a mate's and popped in to whet our whistles before marching on town. There was a wake on upstairs and one of the mourners invited us all up for a drink and to help out with the buffet, they didn't know us from adam but we toned it down a bit - they were more rambunctious than us 😆

It was our playground as kids - we used to sit sniffing the beery fumes coming out of that box vent counting down the years until we could go in alone. We used to sneak in to stick branches up the johnny machine and nick boxes of durex in the gents - fuck knows why, they'd have been almost a decade out of date before they'd have seen use. We'd sneak into the ladies powder room and hide under this curtained counter they sat at to do their makeup - little perverts.

Football on the lawns - kickout ball, tree swings, conkering etc.

Good times in there - man and boy 😀

Youri, clear your inbox

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wigan Pier on Friday nights used to be incredible when I was 17.  Absolutely off my nut, then back to Haigh Hall for a couple of hours after and then my mates would drop me off at Bolton Market for my Saturday job at 6:30am.  No wonder I got pneumonia :)  Happy days.

 

Went once on a Saturday night because Love Decade were doing a live set.  Completely different vibe to the night, never went again on a Saturday.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Dimron said:

it was the Golden Lion in my time!

Remember chatting up a lass in the Chip Inn next to the Boars at the end of a night. Told her I worked on the rigs as an underwater bricklayer togged up in a diving suit putting the footings in. Her mate asked my pal what he did, he replied he was my hod carrier 🙂

Dunno why but I'd insinuate I was a chef at a swanky restaurant when I was younger - I'd also claim I played for Marine for some bizarre reason.

They were sort of quarter-truths.

Chip-Inn before my time, related to Sandwich-Inn?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gonzo said:

It was bang opposite central pier where they have that tacky closing down sale shop thing, bloke selling knock off stuff in height of summer.

It was all part of that building then in later years it was just the club upstairs. Saw m-zone there and did a couple of wigan pier nights there, when it was called summet daft like fusion or summet.

Heard it was ace in Oz and shaboo where DJ sasha started his career. Born ten years too late me.

Nice write up on sequins/Blackpool here on olipoli

"In Praise of… Blackpool – Oi Polloi" https://www.oipolloi.com/blogs/the-blog/in-praise-of-blackpool

I just remember going upstairs to it. Used to go with a lad whose dad ran a big Greenalls boozer facing the train station.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Wigan Pier on Friday nights used to be incredible when I was 17.  Absolutely off my nut, then back to Haigh Hall for a couple of hours after and then my mates would drop me off at Bolton Market for my Saturday job at 6:30am.  No wonder I got pneumonia :)  Happy days.

 

Went once on a Saturday night because Love Decade were doing a live set.  Completely different vibe to the night, never went again on a Saturday.

 

Used to have a very long bar along the back wall which was opened up according to number of folk in the club. All the pumps were ‘live’ though which meant free drinks for the brave.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MickyD said:

Used to have a very long bar along the back wall which was opened up according to number of folk in the club. All the pumps were ‘live’ though which meant free drinks for the brave.

Can honestly say I never had an alcoholic drink in there,

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
3 hours ago, gonzo said:

It was bang opposite central pier where they have that tacky closing down sale shop thing, bloke selling knock off stuff in height of summer.

It was all part of that building then in later years it was just the club upstairs. Saw m-zone there and did a couple of wigan pier nights there, when it was called summet daft like fusion or summet.

Heard it was ace in Oz and shaboo where DJ sasha started his career. Born ten years too late me.

Nice write up on sequins/Blackpool here on olipoli

"In Praise of… Blackpool – Oi Polloi" https://www.oipolloi.com/blogs/the-blog/in-praise-of-blackpool

I was just a few years too young for Sequins, had the last night at Sequins on my walkman constantly!

 

still love it. 
 

I miss The Temple. Loved it there. Some outstanding nights. 

Oh and The Tavern! 

 

Edited by superjohnmcginlay
Missed the Tavern
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, superjohnmcginlay said:

I was just a few years too young for Sequins, had the last night at Sequins on my walkman constantly!

 

still love it. 
 

I miss The Temple. Loved it there. Some outstanding nights. 

 

 

Temple was brill for a while but they fucked things up for themselves early on.  They'd not let folk in who they deemed as not looking smart enough ffs.

It's like they wanted a 'rave' club but for everyone to be dressed like they were going into Ritzy.  Massive shame.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
2 hours ago, DazBob said:

Temple was brill for a while but they fucked things up for themselves early on.  They'd not let folk in who they deemed as not looking smart enough ffs.

It's like they wanted a 'rave' club but for everyone to be dressed like they were going into Ritzy.  Massive shame.

that happened to me and some mates as students in sheffield around 98

queued for ages to get in The Republic, bouncers constantly going up and down the line checking out folk, but waited till we got to the front before saying "sorry lads, no checked shirts"

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

that happened to me and some mates as students in sheffield around 98

queued for ages to get in The Republic, bouncers constantly going up and down the line checking out folk, but waited till we got to the front before saying "sorry lads, no cowboy boots"

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.