Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Don't want to be an American Idiot...

Youri McAnespie

America! F*ck No!  

23 members have voted

1. 1. American Traditions - British People?

• Why not? You miserable old sod...
    • Stick Americanophiles on The Mayflower and cast them adrift...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/12/20 at 12:02

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Not much of a gambler myself spent most of the time in Vegas people watching, my mate went this year for the Fury fight and weed is legal there so the whole place just smelled of weed, said the dispensaries are everywhere 

Wouldn't mind doing a trip across the top either, places like Buffalo, Detroit and Minnesota, a more industrial type of trip

What traditions do you have issues with? Almost everything they have embraced started off in Europe. It has just evolved in to something else. They just glitter things up. Halloween for example.

What I do have issues with is the infiltration of our language with North American variants. Do not call me Buddy or Dude. It's a TV series not a season. It's this kind of Americanisations that grinds my linguistic gears.

Edited by Underpants

• Site Supporter

The fall is not a season. 

I have spent a few Independence Days on US soil. Think a patriotic version of our bommy night.

Once found myself in Salem on October 31st. They really do take it seriously and Salem seemed to be the place to be. It was heaving. The school football pitches, on the edge of town, (6 pitches, 2 lines of 3) were chocka with various stalls selling all manner of Halloween stuff, fancy dress, rubber masks, etc. Couldn’t move. 

Edited by MickyD

• Members
2 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

Wouldn't mind doing a trip across the top either, places like Buffalo, Detroit and Minnesota, a more industrial type of trip

I’d like to see Detroit for Motown and the car industry but apparently it’s an absolute shithole 

22 minutes ago, MickyD said:

The fall is not a season. 

I have spent a few Independence Days on US soil. Think a patriotic version of our bommy night.

Once found myself in Salem on October 31st. They really do take it seriously and Salem seemed to be the place to be. It was heaving. The school football pitches, on the edge of town, (6 pitches, 2 lines of 3) were chocka with various stalls selling all manner of Halloween stuff, fancy dress, rubber masks, etc. Couldn’t move. 

Fall is an old English term. We used that before moving on to using Autumn.

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I’d like to see Detroit for Motown and the car industry but apparently it’s an absolute shithole 

Yeah, i follow this account on Instagram that does shots of all the abandoned places in Detroit, loads of them 

Sort of like it though, did a similar place called Clarkesdale in Mississippi, bit of a dump/ghost town but had a blues festival on, Morgan Freeman also owns a blues club there

• Members
7 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Yeah, i follow this account on Instagram that does shots of all the abandoned places in Detroit, loads of them 

Sort of like it though, did a similar place called Clarkesdale in Mississippi, bit of a dump/ghost town but had a blues festival on, Morgan Freeman also owns a blues club there

My mate did a 3 week tour last year, did the west coast, the south then some of the east. 
They went to New Orleans for a blues festival, he said basically there’s two huge streets lined with bars, clubs and restaurants the rest is like the A Bomb hit it, the devastation of Hurricane Katrina is still there and they haven’t done much to sort it 

20 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

I think we are more disposed towards the US rather than to Europe 

Now we are. Its down to American culture being viewed all over the world through firstly the film industry, then television and corporate expansion overseas. We share the language so we use plenty of their stuff.

Before that it was us spreading our tongue throughout the globe.

And before that we adopted a lot of Latin and  northern European words and terminology, especially French.

American English is, in some respects, more true to old English than what we speak. 

4 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

Wonder where they got that Coca Cola advert from?

https://fb.watch/23H55QHG_g/

Never been to the Czech Republic, but been to Slovakia, a delightful place on my visit. Do the neighbours get on with each other ? I had a train journey to Vienna and the blokes in the pub said they would never go into Bratislava, and it's only an hour away.

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Rudy said:

My mate did a 3 week tour last year, did the west coast, the south then some of the east. 
They went to New Orleans for a blues festival, he said basically there’s two huge streets lined with bars, clubs and restaurants the rest is like the A Bomb hit it, the devastation of Hurricane Katrina is still there and they haven’t done much to sort it 

Didn't really leave the french quarter in the 3 Days we were there, was more seedy than i thought it would be but apparently that's also since Katrina

Less jazz clubs, more strip clubs

Bar Graceland and Sun Records there's no reason to go to Memphis, absolute shit hole, Beale Street is proper grubby and locals don't go anywhere near it 

We stayed in a nice neighborhood and glad we did, just don't base a holiday around it, get in, go to Graceland and get out again

9 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Never been to the Czech Republic, but been to Slovakia, a delightful place on my visit. Do the neighbours get on with each other ? I had a train journey to Vienna and the blokes in the pub said they would never go into Bratislava, and it's only an hour away.

They were of course one country but a happy divorce was the outcome of the Velvet Revolution. The Czechs and Slovaks get on better than with the Austrians. Generally, the Germans and the Austrians look down on the ‘Slavs’

Thats a a broad generalisation but the blokes in the pub you were talking to, probably illustrated that point.

I used to travel frequently by train between Vienna and Brno.

20 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

They were of course one country but a happy divorce was the outcome of the Velvet Revolution. The Czechs and Slovaks get on better than with the Austrians. Generally, the Germans and the Austrians look down on the ‘Slavs’

Thats a a broad generalisation but the blokes in the pub you were talking to, probably illustrated that point.

I used to travel frequently by train between Vienna and Brno.

Thanks for your reply, the place is so laid back and friendly and a transport system we would envy. Did you ever manage to learn the language ?

8 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Thanks for your reply, the place is so laid back and friendly and a transport system we would envy. Did you ever manage to learn the language ?

😊 Jen dost na objednani piva.

Translation. Only enough to order a beer. 
I should know more and I will. Soon.