Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sport Vale at Home

embankment

I too thought Steve Eyre was very good with his comments today. 

The comments he made about Santos were quite telling. It's easier to look good when you're the spare man at the back but play someone next to him and he really struggled today. 

He also said that his size has let him get away with not being as good technically as he should be.

49 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Don't all clubs do that?

No they let players stay at home with family, trust them not to overindulge......Some players have for decades got themselves suspended for the christmas period.....i think Evatt would insist they came in with the rest

I'd no problem with young Thomason being given a go and he showed some nice qualities on the ball, clearly needs a bit of pace and physicality adding to his game but him being there certainly wasn't the root of our problems today. The real issue is that with Tutte injured neither of White or Comley were a better option than the young lad. Some of that for me is rooted in Evatt's blaze attitude from the off to having a holding player protecting his defence and recycling possession. Maybe today will confirm the need and prompt Jan window action. 

Having said that, there were also loads of other issues, Kioso completely neglecting defending till they'd scored six, both side centre backs being all over the place positionally and Santos being found out by having a big lad messing him about and drawing him out of his sweeper comfort zone. Hero to zero today I'm afraid.

Bright spot - Doyle. Admit to being to slow to appreciate his qualities but previous couple of games woke me up and today he was outstanding. 

I'd like to see Isgrove fitted into the team somehow, has added pace and directness every time he's come on. 

I know very little about John Askey but he did a job on us, he has had us watched and spotted the space between the journey man at right back and the young lad running up the wing and got his results in 10 minutes. Mrs Dimron was sat knitting and said "bloody hell this could be 6 nil" after 10 minutes. At one point I likened it to how the Munichs came and did us 6-1 at Burnden. How times have chnaged.

We seem too one dimensional and unable to adapt in free play, the four man sub just said to me the gaffer does not know what to do now. We need our players to think independently as well as follow the pre-set tactics, over control and over coaching is not how to work as a team in my opinion. If I was in the hot seat I would not expect to go home hoarse from shouting.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

I'd no problem with young Thomason being given a go and he showed some nice qualities on the ball, clearly needs a bit of pace and physicality adding to his game but him being there certainly wasn't the root of our problems today. The real issue is that with Tutte injured neither of White or Comley were a better option than the young lad. Some of that for me is rooted in Evatt's blaze attitude from the off to having a holding player protecting his defence and recycling possession. Maybe today will confirm the need and prompt Jan window action. 

Having said that, there were also loads of other issues, Kioso completely neglecting defending till they'd scored six, both side centre backs being all over the place positionally and Santos being found out by having a big lad messing him about and drawing him out of his sweeper comfort zone. Hero to zero today I'm afraid.

Bright spot - Doyle. Admit to being to slow to appreciate his qualities but previous couple of games woke me up and today he was outstanding. 

I'd like to see Isgrove fitted into the team somehow, has added pace and directness every time he's come on. 

I hear you on pretty much all of that.

We’ve had to shoehorn 20 new signings in, not all will or have worked. I think we need to re-cycle at least 6 in January. 
I don’t think we’ll go up this season but if we can get to summer only needing to change maybe 4, that will put us in far better stead next year.

id love to go up tho and need to replace 10

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Dimron said:

I know very little about John Askey but he did a job on us, he has had us watched and spotted the space between the journey man at right back and the young lad running up the wing and got his results in 10 minutes. Mrs Dimron was sat knitting and said "bloody hell this could be 6 nil" after 10 minutes. At one point I likened it to how the Munichs came and did us 6-1 at Burnden. How times have chnaged.

We seem too one dimensional and unable to adapt in free play, the four man sub just said to me the gaffer does not know what to do now. We need our players to think independently as well as follow the pre-set tactics, over control and over coaching is not how to work as a team in my opinion. If I was in the hot seat I would not expect to go home hoarse from shouting.

arthur askey would of got a hat trick today.

i thank you.

4 minutes ago, Dimron said:

There manager definitely got is tactics right .little changes like not  allowing  us to play it out from the keeper at goal kicks by pushing up . And the job they did on Santos we had no answer to any of it . 

Didn’t have a problem with the subs just saw it has he was that pissed off he would of dragged them all off to make a point the game was over . And we did improve after the subs 

is interview afterwards was ok apart from it could of been 15 all bollocks we were well beat 

16 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I’d like to see both Darcy & Isgrove given a start - we need to try something a bit different.Crawford deserves dropping and Sarcevic wasn’t at it today

Thought that Sarcevic made some good runs forward today

3 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Thought that Sarcevic made some good runs forward today

I thought he had some nice touches and decent runs early in the game but faded when we went behind. 

Think we’re missing a midfielder in the squad who can put is foot in and knock teams out of there stride when things aren’t going right   a Karl Henry type .
But probably not evatts way of playing 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

I hear you on pretty much all of that.

We’ve had to shoehorn 20 new signings in, not all will or have worked. I think we need to re-cycle at least 6 in January. 
I don’t think we’ll go up this season but if we can get to summer only needing to change maybe 4, that will put us in far better stead next year.

id love to go up tho and need to replace 10

Not sure you could get much out of recycling Comley, Gordon, etc. Better of in landfill I reckon.

10 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

I thought he had some nice touches and decent runs early in the game but faded when we went behind. 

Think we’re missing a midfielder in the squad who can put is foot in and knock teams out of there stride when things aren’t going right   a Karl Henry type .
But probably not evatts way of playing 

Agreed about a Henry type, we appear to be over concentrating on playing our game but need to interrupt and break up  the opponents' game when necessary, back to my initial comment about allowing players thinking independently on the park.

1 hour ago, Dimron said:

munichs did us 6 0 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, passmosster said:

Surprised that John Askey has not done so well at Shrewsbury and Vale.

He was a brilliant manager at Macc' when they won the National League by a fair few points. Today was typical of that. Very good on the break and top away from home.

Tactically Evatt is nowhere near him.

We have to remember that Evatt is a young manager. He will make mistakes too.

I believe he is a bit slow to change things, and I suppose this is where experience will teach him to recognise when to adjust formations etc or to stick with it.