Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sport Vale at Home

embankment

12 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Why, what's he done?

Beat his team 2-0, caus

2 hours ago, masi 51 said:

No they let players stay at home with family, trust them not to overindulge......Some players have for decades got themselves suspended for the christmas period.....i think Evatt would insist they came in with the rest

I'm pretty sure most clubs have them in.

27 minutes ago, bwfc2003 said:

munichs did us 6 0 

It was the only time I left early because my old mum had broken her wrist earlier and I needed to get home. Left at 6-0 just before the 90 and I heard a cheer, someone told me Blake had got a consolation goal but I didn't give a toss, 6-1 has stuck with me since.

24 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

We have to remember that Evatt is a young manager. He will make mistakes too.

I believe he is a bit slow to change things, and I suppose this is where experience will teach him to recognise when to adjust formations etc or to stick with it.

Agreed

Evatt now needs to learn to react to what is thrown at him. We can all play out our game plan but I know from experience things never ever go to plan. 

4 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Might be the right time to at least try playing 442, not convinced our full backs are up to it defensively though.

Its been the right time since day one.  And if the full backs are iffy, that's another reason to have 4 defenders and not 3.  Kioso is a midfielder all day long, so he should play midfield.  Jones is a full back all day long, so he should play full back.  I fail to see how IE doesnt see this.

What a bizarre game - nearly every chance they had, they scored.

we defending awfully.

thought we attacked well, although final shot wasn’t always the greatest. Doyle was superb.

going forward they were the best we have seen.

we have played bottom 6 (apart from Salford) in the last few weeks and they started the season like a train  - and we are now on level points.

reality check - we won’t win every week, but will be in contention for top 6 at the end of the season.

all in for training tomorrow morning- see how we respond next week.

4 hours ago, masi 51 said:

Evatt made two decisions this week that tells me he will get it right 1 getting the players in Christmas Day and secondly leaving both Comley, and White on the bench......the young lad may not be the answer, but he knows the other two are not either.

I think he'll get it right...eventually.  Decisions get made, later than they need to be.  I've not heard any fans saying they rated White or Comley since their first couple of games.  Its taken IE too long.  Now its taking him too long to see what Darcy brings.  I like Thomasson, and its great he got a game, but Darcy is ahead of him, no logical reason to play a younger player who isnt suited to "defensive mid" above Darcy who is also not a DM.  IE has cost us points this season, he should be getting more from this squad against these opponents, and fair play to Vale today they were clinical.

• Site Supporter

His hands are tied until January and as I mentioned earlier, he’s had 20 new players to work with.

If he can ship 6 out and bring 6 in in January, that gets him nearer.

Once we get to the end of the season, we can pay loan and transfer fees. Not sure we’ve got money but opens up options and I presume we can have an extra couple of bodies in the squad too

3 hours ago, Walkden White said:

I too thought Steve Eyre was very good with his comments today. 

The comments he made about Santos were quite telling. It's easier to look good when you're the spare man at the back but play someone next to him and he really struggled today. 

He also said that his size has let him get away with not being as good technically as he should be.

Steve Eyre is always a great co-commentator, he's done a few of our games on GMR.  To be fair it didnt take a professional to say we were exposed by having no right back, but he puts it across really well.  And yes he's right about Santos, we love it when he shepherds the attacker away because of his bulk, but it does cover up some technical flaws.  Bottom line on Santos is he's better than we expected, he'll do for the next couple of years for us but he's never going to be a championship player (although we've had plenty of players at that level that should never have played there, that's a different conversation).

3 hours ago, Dimron said:

Santos was pulled all over the place and got well out of shape resulting in the pen.

Darcy wants to play, I like his pass and move, he should be a regular letting Doyle get more forward to do what he is good at.

Yes, when Darcy passes, he doesn't stop, his momentum continues, he wants the ball back and he makes an intelligent run.  He's got more energy and willingness than most.  Compared to White and Comley, he's on a different level.  Yet he seems to have been overlooked compared to them because he tends to plays 15 yards further up the pitch, and in Comley's case doesn't foul opponents.

3 hours ago, Walkden White said:

I too thought Steve Eyre was very good with his comments today. 

The comments he made about Santos were quite telling. It's easier to look good when you're the spare man at the back but play someone next to him and he really struggled today. 

He also said that his size has let him get away with not being as good technically as he should be.

Steve Eyre much better co-commentator, bob on with his assessment off what he and we were seeing this afternoon

2 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I’d like to see both Darcy & Isgrove given a start - we need to try something a bit different.Crawford deserves dropping and Sarcevic wasn’t at it today

In the first half I thought Sarcevic was good.  A few times he made quick, intelligent passes and beat his man on more than one occasion, I would say he was our only player all day to beat a man.  Sarcevic has nothing to apologise for today other than failing to get his shot on target from a decent position, he drives the team forward.  No idea why he was subbed so early, it was frustrating to have a weakened team on the pitch when we'd pulled it back to 6-3.

27 minutes ago, Steejay said:

FFS Darcy isn’t even a midfield player, never mind a Tutte replacement.

He’s a no. 10 or a wide player who comes inside.

Unless I’m missing something.

Just my opinion, but I think you're missing something.  We dont have a Tutte replacement.  Just like we dont have a Doyle or Gilks replacement, but we do what we can with the squad we have, and Darcy is one of our better players.

6 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Just my opinion, but I think you're missing something.  We dont have a Tutte replacement.  Just like we dont have a Doyle or Gilks replacement, but we do what we can with the squad we have, and Darcy is one of our better players.

He's not missing something. Darcy isn't a central midfielder yet, but might well be in the future. 

No. 10 or wide forward is where he is now.

If anyone thinks that Darcy coming into midfield to replace Tutte, playing as the holding midfielder alongside Sarce and Crawford is the answer, then they’re a mentalist - he looks like a top player, but a deep lying centre mid he’s not, I’d have stuck with White there personally, although I don’t think that would have seen a different result.

Go again next week and continue the assault on promotion

2 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

He's not missing something. Darcy isn't a central midfielder yet, but might well be in the future. 

No. 10 or wide forward is where he is now.

I'll agree to disagree.  Looked plenty capable in league one last season, and if he's behind White and Comley as a midfielder, whether its on the left, right, middle, no 10, no 6, no 4, I give up.

Darcy was at his best last season allowed to roam free in a no 10 or head of a diamond role in behind Murphy, looked more than capable at L1 level in that sort of area. Could cause some damage in L2 in similar role.

Our issue is that we have too many in midfield who are better with a holding player behind them and only one holding player, poor recruitment in my view, as our two left wing backs who aren't good / trusted enough to get in front of two right footed players.

Sarcevic is one of those who would be at his best freed up to do what he does best in forward areas. He's put a couple of fair shifts in at Stevenage and Scunthorpe where he managed to contribute well without the ball but there are too many times when opposing players run past him and he looks a plodder. Crawford is also non existent when we lose the ball. With Tutte behind them we get away with it, without they are badly exposed and teams are far too easily through to the edge of our box

8 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'll agree to disagree.  Looked plenty capable in league one last season, and if he's behind White and Comley as a midfielder, whether its on the left, right, middle, no 10, no 6, no 4, I give up.

Last season he played as a No. 10 or as a wide forward, never in the middle. Obviously he's not behind White and Comley in either of those two positions. 

I'd have him in our team, easily, but not just in front of the back three. An attacking midfielder/wide forward requires a different skillset to a defensive midfield role.

I wouldn't be upset if Crawford never played another game for us, he's been the biggest disappointment for me this season.

As for today, shit happens in this league.

We got dicked at Orient, then took 13pts from 15, then got dicked again today.

It's still 4 wins, a draw and 2 defeats in 7 ie almost 2pts a game. 

Let's crack on.

14 minutes ago, hughmungus said:

They saw our weakness in 1st half and changed things at half time and then came out and did us. 
Evatt also saw the weakness ( or I hope he did) and hadn’t a clue how to change it. That’s the problem.

I agree, but also think they knew our weaknesses from the outset and played on them but without a reaction on our side!