Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

Sport Vale at Home

10 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Its been the right time since day one.  And if the full backs are iffy, that's another reason to have 4 defenders and not 3.  Kioso is a midfielder all day long, so he should play midfield.  Jones is a full back all day long, so he should play full back.  I fail to see how IE doesnt see this.

Agree with you on Kioso JR, he’d be far better in midfield with Jones at RB. Kioso can tackle, head and has some strength about him which none of the others do. He can also shoot and makes good forward runs. Certainly must be worth a try.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing short of disgraceful from the second it kicked off. Can only assume the players thought all they had to do was turn up to win.  An absolute embarrassment. Time to axe Crawford too. I

Bad day at the office, move on and figure out how to replace Tutte. 

What today tells us is that our progress from being a basket case to being a solid football league club again is not going to be linear. Thank god for those four league wins that took us away from the

11 hours ago, marple whites said:

What a bizarre game - nearly every chance they had, they scored.

we defending awfully.

thought we attacked well, although final shot wasn’t always the greatest. Doyle was superb.

going forward they were the best we have seen.

we have played bottom 6 (apart from Salford) in the last few weeks and they started the season like a train  - and we are now on level points.

reality check - we won’t win every week, but will be in contention for top 6 at the end of the season.

all in for training tomorrow morning- see how we respond next week.

Being pedantic, top 7

I'm still thinking we'll make top 3, we've got more than one good run of form in us 

We left loads of space between defence and wing backs yesterday, that can be sorted in training

45 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Apart from the three goals

Aye, they were clinical, we weren't, that was the difference

Six different scorers also suggests they took the piss, which they did for an hour

12 hours ago, Traf said:

I wouldn't be upset if Crawford never played another game for us, he's been the biggest disappointment for me this season.

As for today, shit happens in this league.

We got dicked at Orient, then took 13pts from 15, then got dicked again today.

It's still 4 wins, a draw and 2 defeats in 7 ie almost 2pts a game. 

Let's crack on.

This.     

Crawford can fook off to stenhousemuir or wherever hes from in january.    Strolls around thinking he can play like glen hoddle then cant make a 5 yard pass,  and I ain't going on about yesterday.    Thowt his name was ali crawfordlosespossesion .

13 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Last season he played as a No. 10 or as a wide forward, never in the middle. Obviously he's not behind White and Comley in either of those two positions. 

I'd have him in our team, easily, but not just in front of the back three. An attacking midfielder/wide forward requires a different skillset to a defensive midfield role.

I agree his best position is further forward.  But my view is that we don't have an adequate direct replacement for Tutte, so we make the best of what we have.  I feel like we make the team weaker by trying to manufacture a holding midfielder from White/Thomasson/Comley at the expense of the different qualities Darcy offers (I rate Thomasson, but first impressions are he's not strong enough for DM yet).  Put simply, whatever position we are trying to fill from 1 to 11, Darcy will do it at least as well as those 3 and probably better, although I've no problem with Thomasson in principle, he's definitely got something.

Darcy is weak as piss. He'll never be a defensive midfielder. Ever.

I don't get the wankfest by so many on here over him. What's he actually done in a Bolton shirt to warrant such praise? Isgrove has had a far greater impact in the limited number of minutes both have had in the pitch for us.

Not saying he won't be a good player, but he's shown nothing to suggest he's as good as many seem to think he is.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, DazBob said:

I don't get the wankfest by so many on here over him. What's he actually done in a Bolton shirt to warrant such praise? Isgrove has had a far greater impact in the limited number of minutes both have had in the pitch for us.

Not saying he won't be a good player, but he's shown nothing to suggest he's as good as many seem to think he is.

On the hand, I belive he'll do better in a better team.

Not a defensive player, but preferable to Crawford at the moment. As is Isgrove.

Just looking at the 'highlights'; don't see how kioso can be criticised too much for the first. Hes got 2 players to try and cover, whilst Sarcevic is basically stood there watching the game pass him by. He then flaps his arms when it goes in.

Poor body language, reminiscent of games early in the season. 

25 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Sarcevic is basically stood there watching the game pass him by. He then flaps his arms when it goes in.

Poor body language, reminiscent of games early in the season. 

I noticed that when Sarcevic was replaced

Evatt looked like he wanted some form of acknowledgement from him, but Sarcy completely ignored him as he trudged off.

Like you say, poor body language from his captain.

Looking at the goals against us yesterday goals one & four can be laid at Kioso/Baptistes door, although four is more Kioso than Baptiste.

Goal two is a case of someone not cutting out the pass for the cross .Young lad was chasing the play rather than thinking about the space behind. Inexperience cost us there .But why can none of our six feet plus defenders win a header ? Ditto goal six.

Penalty was harsh but Santos has got away with a couple of 50-50's recently.Goal five was a Thomason/Delaney combo neither getting any sort of challenge in.

Sarevic was not at his best & the Vale defenders knew how to keep putting Delfonso on the deck.

Doyle's best game yet for me & probably Crawford's worst.

Gilks on a better day might have done better with goals four & five but he's the least of our problems.

Walsall away is going to tell us a lot about where this season  is heading.

5 hours ago, DazBob said:

I think that's stating the obvious to be fair, I've not heard anyone suggesting he is, he's an attacking midfielder.  Same as Kioso and Isgrove.  

Re what's he actually done in a Bolton shirt?  Well he's not won any cups or scored many goals, but he's played well on a number of occasions, in a higher division. He's got footballing intelligence, a good engine, passes decisively and accurately and puts in good dead balls. That doesn't make him a future star but its enough to be going on with to get in the current midfield especially while Tutte is out and Crawford isn't delivering.

There's a weird thing with Darcy where if you think he should play it's somehow a "wankfest". I haven't seen that or much praise of him either.

I just think he'd be worth a go. His first touch and close control is very good for this level, and it can only help that he's able to pass to a white shirt quickly and run into space. We're still too laboured in posession when building our attacks and I think he'd help with that.

2 minutes ago, Traf said:

Penalty wasn't harsh IMO. Shoulder to shoulder is fine, but when you extend the arm, it becomes a foul.

Agreed, fine line between 'easing the attacker out' or 'holding your ground' and ref seeing it as a shove. A few in previous weeks were a bit borderline. 

1 hour ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

There's a weird thing with Darcy where if you think he should play it's somehow a "wankfest". I haven't seen that or much praise of him either.

I just think he'd be worth a go. His first touch and close control is very good for this level, and it can only help that he's able to pass to a white shirt quickly and run into space. We're still too laboured in posession when building our attacks and I think he'd help with that.

Spot on.

• Members
10 hours ago, ianofcleveleys said:

Agreed, fine line between 'easing the attacker out' or 'holding your ground' and ref seeing it as a shove. A few in previous weeks were a bit borderline. 

Then surely the issue is referees not all playing to the same laws of the game. 

There was so much wrong I don't know where to start.  Kioso completely abandoned his defensive duties and it should have been sorted before half time, put Jones on the right and bring Greenidge on the left to shore things up and stay in the game.  Instead we came out wide open second half and conceded three more. I blame Evatt for not changing things earlier, it was obvious after 15 minutes that we were too open.

Crawford was totally abysmal, losing 60/40 tackles in his favour and then constantly wasting possession.  I really felt for Thomason, the lad has something about him but he was really let down by his team mates. When Brockbank is fit again he should come back in on the left and move Jones over to the right.  Hopefully Santos will not have as bad a game as that again this season.  He was upset by their forwards and seemed to lose his head a bit, especially for the penalty.

Isgrove is worth a try in the Crawford role, he looks to have some good skill and more end product.  I don't want to see Crawford again for a while.