Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sky Sports Arena Ch 408

MickyD

• Members
5 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Note to self: next time you visit RoI, make sure you get a game of hurling in. 

Last time we went we watched Cork City play football. I’d say it was Jumpers for Goalposts level.

I watched Gaelic football last time I was in Dublin, fuck me that’s a cracking game 

• Site Supporter

I used to play hurling and Gaelic football.

All the players you saw today are amateur, and all are from the county they represent. 

if anyone is over In Ireland and wants to attend a game, give me a shout on here , but also, if anyone’s in Manchester and wants to watch a game, Lancashire has a couple of good clubs competing v teams from all over and the county team do quite well against the lower ranked Irish counties , you can watch a decent standard match here without the need to go to Ireland 

1 hour ago, fatolive said:

I used to play hurling and Gaelic football.

All the players you saw today are amateur, and all are from the county they represent. 

if anyone is over In Ireland and wants to attend a game, give me a shout on here , but also, if anyone’s in Manchester and wants to watch a game, Lancashire has a couple of good clubs competing v teams from all over and the county team do quite well against the lower ranked Irish counties , you can watch a decent standard match here without the need to go to Ireland 

Can players move counties?

I'm just wondering if backroom deals go on i.e. move to live in our county and we'll provide you with a job, house, etc.

Or does local pride come before anything else?

• Site Supporter
31 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Can players move counties?

I'm just wondering if backroom deals go on i.e. move to live in our county and we'll provide you with a job, house, etc.

Or does local pride come before anything else?

You play for your local club and if good enough play for the county .

there are a few examples of people playing for counties they are not from, due to their work taking them to those counties , but no transfers between counties. It is very much local pride, from parish teams to the county. 
chris Kamara and Jeff Stelling did a good series on the GAA and how it works , worth checking out 

managers are slightly different, they can get contracts and managers  have moved around but on the whole every  fan and player at a match is from the same county, when a county is going well there’s a buzz like nothing else, especially in the towns that have representatives 
Ironically, the local club scene here in England does exactly what you say, if a known good player comes over to Manchester , he might get a job on the basis he turns out for a certain club.
Lancashire hurling did great last year getting to the final of a competition  designed for low level counties ( think check a trade type affair)  , beating a few Irish counties, but, most of the lads paying for Lancashire come from counties traditional strongholds of hurling, Tipperary, Kilkenny Cork etc so there is a good standard here at the moment to watch. 

there are a few Gaelic footballers who got contacts playing Aussie rules , they come home to represent their county for nothing on occasions , obviously if it doesn’t affect their duties for their employers and a lot of clubs struggle for players with work and emigration still. 

Edited by fatolive
Spelling

6 hours ago, fatolive said:

You play for your local club and if good enough play for the county .

there are a few examples of people playing for counties they are not from, due to their work taking them to those counties , but no transfers between counties. It is very much local pride, from parish teams to the county. 
chris Kamara and Jeff Stelling did a good series on the GAA and how it works , worth checking out 

managers are slightly different, they can get contracts and managers  have moved around but on the whole every  fan and player at a match is from the same county, when a county is going well there’s a buzz like nothing else, especially in the towns that have representatives 
Ironically, the local club scene here in England does exactly what you say, if a known good player comes over to Manchester , he might get a job on the basis he turns out for a certain club.
Lancashire hurling did great last year getting to the final of a competition  designed for low level counties ( think check a trade type affair)  , beating a few Irish counties, but, most of the lads paying for Lancashire come from counties traditional strongholds of hurling, Tipperary, Kilkenny Cork etc so there is a good standard here at the moment to watch. 

there are a few Gaelic footballers who got contacts playing Aussie rules , they come home to represent their county for nothing on occasions , obviously if it doesn’t affect their duties for their employers and a lot of clubs struggle for players with work and emigration still. 

Some Irish fella gave up a very lucrative AFL contract to go home as he was homesick. Just googled him, Conor McKenna. 

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

Some Irish fella gave up a very lucrative AFL contract to go home as he was homesick. Just googled him, Conor McKenna. 

A Tyrone man, they are a very strong Gaelic football county. 

another recent was Colm O’Riordan, he got the approval from Sydney Swans to return to play For Tipperary in their Munster final. 
Their was a lot of historical significance around the match  and they’ve received a lot of plaudits for their understanding.

the all Ireland championships is running late this year ( Covid) so not sure if he would have been allowed if it was asked in the summer when it’s normally played, I’m not even sure when the AFL season is ? 

1 hour ago, fatolive said:

A Tyrone man, they are a very strong Gaelic football county. 

another recent was Colm O’Riordan, he got the approval from Sydney Swans to return to play For Tipperary in their Munster final. 
Their was a lot of historical significance around the match  and they’ve received a lot of plaudits for their understanding.

the all Ireland championships is running late this year ( Covid) so not sure if he would have been allowed if it was asked in the summer when it’s normally played, I’m not even sure when the AFL season is ? 

Starts March, playoffs and grand final in September

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, jayjayoghani said:

Starts March, playoffs and grand final in September

That’s the same as the All Ireland then,    So the delay in it starting this year probably allowed him to come home, still a nice gesture from his club to allow him to go and compete in another sport  

I'm sorry but can I just go back on record as saying that Aussie rules is fucking shite and nowhere near as aggro as it's made out to be.

Might have been years ago when it was mainly Victoria sides playing each other - but it's a shadow of the bloodthirsty game it used to be.

Have a look at some of the old videos back when it was compulsory to have a tache. It was still shite but at least it was violent shite.

• Site Supporter
49 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I'm sorry but can I just go back on record as saying that Aussie rules is fucking shite and nowhere near as aggro as it's made out to be.

Might have been years ago when it was mainly Victoria sides playing each other - but it's a shadow of the bloodthirsty game it used to be.

Have a look at some of the old videos back when it was compulsory to have a tache. It was still shite but at least it was violent shite.

Not a big fan of it myself, love GAA sports though and particularly hurling 
think it has its routes in Gaelic football and rugby , from colony days, I know that in very olden days Gaelic football scoring was with the same 4 posts arrangements as in Aussie before the adoption of the H frame goals 

not even a fan of the compromise rules when a selection of GAA footballers play Australia in a mix match of the two sports to be honest , find it dull and forced . 
compromised rules of hurling and shinty, where Ireland play Scotland a little better but still no real interest