Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Parky sacked!

Blondi

2 hours ago, marple whites said:

They didn’t really want him from the off, but they think the world owe them - like all north east clubs.

This ☝️☝️☝️

They were underwhelmed at his arrival & plenty were on his case before he had his name on the door. A bit like Megson here, but on a larger scale.

The previous guy, Ross, was only given about a dozen games. They have had 22 managers since Reid left in 2002. 22 in 18 years. Most of them arrive lauded as saviours, until they haven't won the Champion's League within 6 matches of rolling up.

If there's a consistently funnier sight in football that Mackem fans standing up en-masse & heading to the exits when they let in a goal in the last 10 minutes I've yet to see it. There's even a familiar sound that goes with it as the seats slap up.

They do get huge crowds ... the result of only having 2 professional teams in a huge geography ... but can easily be down to 10,000 by the end of a match when things don't go their way.

Since any new manager will now have to fit in with the L1 cap of £2.5m, which must surely be all used up, I think you can rule out big names unless they’re happy to take a pay cut and bank on promotion. Problem is they can’t recruit class players because they certainly won’t take a pay cut to go there. This salary cap is great for small clubs but disastrous for the bigger clubs like ourselves and Sunderland.

9 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

This ☝️☝️☝️

They were underwhelmed at his arrival & plenty were on his case before he had his name on the door. A bit like Megson here, but on a larger scale.

The previous guy, Ross, was only given about a dozen games. They have had 22 managers since Reid left in 2002. 22 in 18 years. Most of them arrive lauded as saviours, until they haven't won the Champion's League within 6 matches of rolling up.

If there's a consistently funnier sight in football that Mackem fans standing up en-masse & heading to the exits when they let in a goal in the last 10 minutes I've yet to see it. There's even a familiar sound that goes with it as the seats slap up.

They do get huge crowds ... the result of only having 2 professional teams in a huge geography ... but can easily be down to 10,000 by the end of a match when things don't go their way.

Aye, it's quantity not quality, we've also seen them storming out in the 1st half of games they're losing.

At Bolton last season, they had the largest numbers of visiting fans but gave the worst support, abusing their players & calling for the sacking of their previous manager.  Most deluded fans in the league.

11 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

. They have had 22 managers since Reid left in 2002. 22 in 18 years. Most of them arrive lauded as saviours, until they haven't won the Champion's League within 6 matches of rolling up.

They do go through managers at an alarming rate - remember when they signed that bell-end Di Canio, who decided it might be a good idea to sign shit loads of players, who in the main turned out to be very shit. I think he was even touted to manage us by some wasn't he?

3 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

Since any new manager will now have to fit in with the L1 cap of £2.5m, which must surely be all used up, I think you can rule out big names unless they’re happy to take a pay cut and bank on promotion. Problem is they can’t recruit class players because they certainly won’t take a pay cut to go there. This salary cap is great for small clubs but disastrous for the bigger clubs like ourselves and Sunderland.

Disagree. I think it will work to our advantage. With Sunderland I’ve no idea or do I care as relocating up there isn’t appealing I can imagine.

With us trying to keep up has screwed us, now if you are on the same money and have a choice between us and say Salford you are signing for us. Also the best time ever to have a transfer ban such as ours.

4 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

The new rules only applied fof players signed since ig was implemented so  as per us with Doyle & Sarcevic a lot slipped under the net.

Their wage bill as a 2nd Tier team  when relegated in 2018 was said to be £40m !! They had 64 professional players on their books.

Currently thought to be paying around £10m. So 4x the 3rd Division salary cap.

As those players contracts end they can only renew them at a fraction of current rates. Any new players will count to the cap. Paying players off is counted as £salary spend, so not easy. There are very few of their squad who turn heads so they'll be few takers. (As Evatt will find in January with his much-vaunted clear out of those signings who've not come good). They'll sit out their contracts.

The new manager, whoever, whenever, will be hamstrung by this. Won't be able to be rid of the ones he doesn't fancy, won't be able to sign those he does.

New owners can come it waving open cheque-books but they can't spend their money.

He has to get promoted THIS season, using the overpaid players no-one rates. Players used to playing Parky-Ball. Players who know, if they DO get promoted, will be promptly replaced.

Ooops.

• Members
13 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

This ☝️☝️☝️

No wonder Keane didn’t unpack 

21 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Their fans have no concept of the £2.5m wage cap in Div.3. Read their posts & you'd think it didn't exist. Their views of who they should/can sign & how simple they think it'll be to bin some of their squad certainly comes under anyone's definition of deluded.

Due to the cut-off point of introducing the wage cap this summer they got away with their current wage bill of over £10m. If they don't get promoted this time then they will need to release pkayers. They won't be able to pay them off &, viewed as failures, no-one will want them.

They HAVE to get promotion this time.

They're pinning their hopes on a take-over but, like their Tyneside friends, talks have been going on for a year.

No-one will sign as their new long-term manager until ownership is sorted out unless desperate or courted by the new owners if things are close 

That could easily be a post about Bolton fans

JSL

21 hours ago, leigh white said:

Working in Whitley Bay a while ago doing a night club up, a Geordie whispered to me and said " Don't trust them Mackem bastards " OK mate cheers for the advice but I really cant tell you apart.

Out of interest was it the Hairy Lemon ?

I stayed in a B&B right opposite it ?

What happens in the Lemon ( you know the rest)

1 hour ago, marple whites said:

And now they lose to Wigan, who hadn’t won in 10 and only scored 5 in 10!!

They are feckin suicidal on line.

They were convinced that Parky's sacking was at the behest of mythical new owners wanting him cleared out before  they rode valiantly through the gates slowed only by the weight of their wagons carrying gold & jewels.

These new owners already had a manager sorted out. The suggestions were mostly established, Premier or prestigious European pot-winning names. Saviours to a man.

None included Lee Johnson.

He fits absolutely no-ones expectations and his arrival is not just disappointing for that but proves the new owners are just piss in the wind.

Then they lose to fckg Wigan. 🤣😅

On 30/11/2020 at 21:02, leigh white said:

It was, I also stayed opposite, what a crazy place Whitley Bay was then.

Small world . Used to walk down the slope to the front , turn left and there was a cracking indian. Thursday nights in the Lemon , show my face on site , then head home at 11am.

7 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

They are feckin suicidal on line.

They were convinced that Parky's sacking was at the behest of mythical new owners wanting him cleared out before  they rode valiantly through the gates slowed only by the weight of their wagons carrying gold & jewels.

These new owners already had a manager sorted out. The suggestions were mostly established, Premier or prestigious European pot-winning names. Saviours to a man.

None included Lee Johnson.

He fits absolutely no-ones expectations and his arrival is not just disappointing for that but proves the new owners are just piss in the wind.

Then they lose to fckg Wigan. 🤣😅

Actually I rate Lee Johnson and if, and that’s a big if, he’s given a chance I think he’ll do well for them.

10 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Actually I rate Lee Johnson and if, and that’s a big if, he’s given a chance I think he’ll do well for them.

What do you base this on? Geniune question by the way.

Ive always rated him, but Im sure its just because hes a good looking fucker and like the cut of his jib. Plus Bristol fans seemed to hate him for some reason..

Couldnt for the life of me tell you his style of play or single player hes managed :D

Johnson is a modern dinosaur. He's modern World savvy with, at his core, Tony Pulis tendencies.

He's capable of doing well, for a year, but never more than two. Eventualy he blows and the players will come to hate him. That could well suit them up there tbh. But it won't be pretty.

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Johnson is a modern dinosaur. He's modern World savvy with, at his core, Tony Pulis tendencies.

He's capable of doing well, for a year, but never more than two. Eventualy he blows and the players will come to hate him. That could well suit them up there tbh. But it won't be pretty.

It’ll be prettier than Parkyball.