Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Quirky Tunes.

leigh white

3 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Another night on the sauce hun? Jona Louies “Always find me in the kitchen at parties” was a bit “different” at the time - totally shit, but annoyingly catchy. That fuckin “Da da da” from a band called Trio used to drive me mental.

Searching for obscure tunes on youtube is like going through your family ancestry, cleared up a load of mind numbingly ear worms what never charted.

Spider Murphy Gang .

" Skandal in Slerrbezirk"

Takes me back to Paderbourn 1981/82. Playing for The Beaumont , Sweet Green  Tempest Utd combined team .

( we won by the way , no thanks to me , getting skinned everytime by a tricky right winger ). 

Aftermatch party at Paderbourns club house.

This came on , we loved it . Didn't understand a bloody word , but bounced off the walls .

Made the DJ play it on repeat for about 30mins.

Following day before departing to Amsterdam for after tour relaxation.

We stopped of and all bought copys.

On to Amsterdam and " Jimmy Mac " pursuaded every DJ in Dam play it within 10 mins of us walking in.

I still have it and every now and then blast it out.

Just a good time catchy tune.

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Searching for obscure tunes on youtube is like going through your family ancestry, cleared up a load of mind numbingly ear worms what never charted.

I heard one of my colleagues whistling a tune at work a few years ago, and I recognised it but couldn't place it, and it was doing my fucking head in. I asked him what it was, and he couldn't remember either. We literally spent an entire work day trying to find it. Turned out it was the bit 43 seconds into this! 

The relief was immense when we found it. We didn't really associate with each other before that, but we bonded over it, and became very good mates. Weird. We eventually worked out that bit of the song was used in 'Hot Shots!', which we'd both recently watched.

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter

When it comes to "quirky" - anything by Thomas Dolby can get to fuck. Especially 'She Blinded me with Science', which Ken Bruce plays far too often. The level of pure hatred I have for that song is beyond words.

7 minutes ago, Cheese said:

When it comes to "quirky" - anything by Thomas Dolby can get to fuck. Especially 'She Blinded me with Science', which Ken Bruce plays far too often. The level of pure hatred I have for that song is beyond words.

Christ, I loved that tune as well, Magnus Pike made it a hit. The classic " Ogden's Nut Gone Flake " by the Small Faces got ruined with Stanley Unwins wittering away on the LP.

7 hours ago, Cheese said:

We used to drool over those 2 back in the day. Looking at that clip now, it’s clear that they were just a pair of very average Latino Lasses. Thankfully the muckyness bar has been raised considerably since that video came out in 1977.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

9 hours ago, Cheese said:

Aliens ate my Buick is a classic give it a go I think you’ll be surprised 

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, emus wig said:

Aliens ate my Buick is a classic give it a go I think you’ll be surprised 

I've heard it, and I can't stand it. I find all Thomas Dolby's stuff sounds like the theme tune from 'Round the Twist'.

7 hours ago, Cheese said:

I've heard it, and I can't stand it. I find all Thomas Dolby's stuff sounds like the theme tune from 'Round the Twist'.

I think I bought it when it came out in 88 its defo an album of its time . It was a piss take of American society/culture or lack of it . Went back to it at the start of lock down as it is so up beat .